Non-Lyrical Rappers...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Busta's never been that great a lyricist... he wasn't like on some Pun shit or nothin', but around 2000 he REALLY started getting on point lyrically. His style got more focused and clear than it was when he came out, and he was just off the wall and meshed with ODB more than he would mesh with the people he's outshined the last decade.

Look at Flipmode Squad Meets Def Squad... Def's lyrics were outta control, but Busta's presence still owned the shit.

Busta's one of my favs either way though 'cause his flow = broken neck

as far as the definition of lyrical, Busta writes stuff in a very musical way, using alot of alliteration and complimentary words... they may be relatively simple schematically, or in terms of double entender but that doesn't mean alot of forethought and planning doesn't go into his verses are when he writes in a way that leans towards the kind of flows he comes with on tracks like I'll Hurt You and What's Happenin. Em's verse on I'll Hurt You Remix was retarded really, to emulate that flow Busta had, while Busta killed it.

"i hope ya people pull up and pack ya shit up" little nuance like the alliteration in that allows him to sound so nice with his own style. That's more or less the definition of lyrical... words that sound musical. Multi's aren't the only type of complexity at all.
    test
  2. Anonmuz

Anonmuz Decepticons = Truth

Why is this turning into a Busta conversation?

Busta is a great lyricist.
    test
  3. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

this is wha i was gettin at
    test
  4. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

But being lyrical is more than just punchlines, though... I was basically thinking schemes... and to me, DMX was the most lyrical, schematic rapper when he blew up in '98... better than Pun, better than Jay.

Go back and listen to "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" again... listen to the way he constructs his rhymes... everything is tight AND his flow is on point.

Pun's flow was sometimes lazy because he tried to fit too many syllables in a bar... DMX never had that problem.

And go back and listen to Busta's "When Disaster Strikes" album... in fact, go back to his LONS days... and listen to "Scenario" again... start from there.

Bussa Bus didn't really start becoming lazy with his lyrics until this decade.
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Busta at his best was BETTER than Pun.

His flow and lyrics on "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" was absolutely perfect.

Pun was cool, but heads on the net have been overrating him for years ever since he died.

Busta was a complete original, very stylish, very technical, and could flow for days.
    test
  6. BinoSWI

can some1 give me their definition for lyrical
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Advanced schemes... but more free association than anything...

End-rhyming multis is not advanced or all that lyrical to me (ie., T.I., Luda)

Also, other technical devices like metaphors, similes, alliteration, double entendres.

It's why some people don't understand how ultra lyrical Andre3000 is.
    test
  8. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

music that doesn't fall into the category of "rap"
    test
  9. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

^C'mon Mem.

We're all jaded with rap, but to say that there's no lyricism in hip-hop is beyond preposterous...
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

But who's making music outside of hip hop that IS lyrical?

Bob Dylan didn't release a new album recently, did he?

Ben Harper, Radiohead, maybe... but MUCH of what is popular music is crap lyrically and musically.
    test
  11. .:Pain:.

Actually, lol, he's been doing that a lot lately (not as much as he did in his heyday, but still).

But yea, I've delved into every genre of music (shit, I'm even in a band right now), but as far as lyricism goes, no genre nowadays compares to underground rap (i.e. Illogic, Atmosphere, Blu, etc.)...
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Jimi Hendrix was a very underrated lyricist... he's like the Ghostface of rock with the shit he be saying, sometimes.
    test
  13. BinoSWI

music tht doesnt fall into the category of rap... more like music that doesnt fall into the category of pop (thats includin rap btw)

all the shit sounds the same 2 me. catchy hook same beat content usualy the same nd thats it
    test
  14. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

There's lyricism, but the genre has evolved to the point that the actual rapping has become less lyrical over time.

Old school rap is more lyrical, but fans of the music today tend to believe that it is constantly growing outside of the mainstream to actually be more lyrical than ever before. I don't believe that is the case at all. A lot of these underground rappers are doing more to kill the lyricism that rap once had than bringing music that qualifies as having good lyrical quality. There are a lot of misconceptions and confused ideas as to what makes something lyrical. Everybody wants to attach their favorite rappers to being some standard on which to judge lyrics.
    test
  15. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

lady gaga is more lyrical than your top ten favorite rappers tbh

make that top 100 actually...

top 500 probably
    test
  16. .:Pain:.

How so?
    test
  17. .:Pain:.

Ugh, so you're one of those people, lol...
    test
  18. BinoSWI

honestly if u think hip hop and lyricism is dead then u aint lookin hard enough. nothin more to be said than that.
    test
  19. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

If you can say that, then you should be able to drop some names of rappers you consider lyrical so maybe I won't have to look so hard.
    test
  20. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

The ones that tend to get touted as lyrical gods aren't so lyrical, they just pack their verses with clever content.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.