Nobody's Talking About The NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Old Soul, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Talks to re-new the CBA have halted and there's a good possibility there will be no cap for the '07 season.

Imagine that.

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder will go buck-fucking-wild.

They better get their shit together.

Associated Press

DETROIT -- There's nothing like a little gloom and doom at the end of Super Bowl week.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's pessimism about labor negotiations with the players' union permeated his annual state of the league address Friday.

"We're not making the kind of progress we need to be making," he said. "I don't think negotiations are going very well."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said the same thing the previous day. Upshaw warned that without significant movement by March 9, the union will consider its legal options.

The collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2007 season. But under the current contract, there would be no salary cap in 2007. Upshaw insists if the cap disappears then, it won't come back.

Tagliabue doesn't recognize March 9 as any particular deadline -- after all, there are two full seasons remanning under the deal -- but he has a sense of urgency.

Unfortunately, he believes the owners and players are drifting farther apart.

"I do think there needs to be an outreach and more reality on both sides," Tagliabue said. "There needs to be a positive dose of reality on both sides of the table. To some degree, positions are hardening on both sides when they shouldn't be."

He wasn't optimistic about making much progress in negotiations before the league's meetings begin March 25 in Orlando, Fla.

"A lot of things get done at the 11th hour and 59th minute," Tagliabue said. "I don't know if we'll get something done by the league meetings."

These talks have become more contentious in great part because team owners can't agree among themselves how to divide revenues that will go to the players. High-revenue teams who make more money from sources other than television and ticket sales are balking at contributing the same percentage of their income as low-revenue franchises.

Patriots owners Robert Kraft, one of the league's power brokers, believes a CBA extension must preclude any agreement among the owners on how to split money.

"Until we know what our deal is with the union, we can't come together among ourselves on revenue sharing," he said.

Upshaw talked Thursday about a potential decertification of the union. Tagliabue conceded those were possibilities, but "I don't think we'll be in litigation or decertification."

Tagliabue also:

-- noted that while the "Rooney rule" that requires interviewing minority candidates for coaching and front office jobs is working, no minorities got any of the eight openings filled thus far.

"I thought we were getting beyond the stereotypes and these men were accepted as coaches, not as minority coaches," Tagliabue said. "I thought it would carry over to the hiring process and it didn't.

"We all understand the need to be aggressive to blitz this issue. We need to be measured by what we do and achieve, and not by what we say."

-- reiterated league support for keeping the Saints in New Orleans, saying the commitment is multiyear. He hopes all eight of their regular-season games next season will be played at the Superdome.

"The team coming back and the Superdome coming back can be a magnet to attract other businesses," he said.

-- virtually ruled out an international regular-season game in 2006. Although the 49ers-Cardinals game in Mexico City last October was a huge success, "right now it would be difficult to play a regular-season game outside the United States in this upcoming season."

-- expressed his support for instant replay as an officiating tool, even as he acknowledged the botched reversal in the Pittsburgh-Indianapolis playoff game.

"It's perfectly clear that in an overwhelming number of cases, it eliminates mistaken calls and gives officiating crews the chance to see things they do not see in real time."

-- saw only expansion to Los Angeles anytime soon, even though it would give the NFL an odd number of franchises.

"To me, the only possibility in the foreseeable future for an expansion team would be Los Angeles," he said. "I could not see a decision with two expansion teams."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    test
  2. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

id put my money on the seahawks

paul allen is richer than both
    test
  3. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

test
  5. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said the same thing the previous day. Upshaw warned that without significant movement by March 9, the union will consider its legal options.

The collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2007 season. But under the current contract, there would be no salary cap in 2007. Upshaw insists if the cap disappears then, it won't come back

----------

Guys, this fucking sucks.
    test
  6. toker

you jet fans ready for another losing season???? its gonna be alot worse than this past yr to lol

no qb, no rb, no oline and a weak defense... smells like the niners and titans

but atleast u guys can draft adrian peterson next yr to go with cutler
    test
  7. toker

gene upshaw is just talking out his ass..

what he needs to do is get off his ass and fix the draft... Rookies shouldnt get paid more than proven VETS!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  8. Ed E Brock

Ed E Brock RM's version of this guy

yeah, this fucking sucks...

hopefully bud adams dies because he's a cheapskate. Maybe somebody willing to spend money will get in there for a couple seasons with no cap.

this is bad news though. The NFL will become the MLB......welcome soccer as the new sport of america lol
    test
  9. Nitsuj™

Nitsuj™ We Are The Resistance

test
  10. PrOFouL

PrOFouL New Member

It sounds like, the owners aren't pleased with sharing revenues, because it has too much friction. How many teams are we going to lose?

Rank Team Current Value1 ($mil)
    1 Washington Redskins 1,264
    2 Dallas Cowboys 1,063
    3 New England Patriots 1,040
    4 Philadelphia Eagles 952
    5 Houston Texans 946
    6 Denver Broncos 907
    7 Cleveland Browns 892
    8 Carolina Panthers 878
    9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 877
    10 Chicago Bears 871
    11 Baltimore Ravens 864
    12 Miami Dolphins 856
    13 Green Bay Packers 849
    14 Tennessee Titans 839
    15 Seattle Seahawks 823
    16 Pittsburgh Steelers 820
    17 New York Giants 806
    18 Detroit Lions 780
    19 Kansas City Chiefs 762
    20 St Louis Rams 757
    21 New York Jets 739
    22 New Orleans Saints 718
    23 Cincinnati Bengals 716
    24 Indianapolis Colts 715
    25 Buffalo Bills 708
    26 San Francisco 49ers 699
    27 Jacksonville Jaguars 691
    28 Atlanta Falcons 690
    29 San Diego Chargers 678
    30 Oakland Raiders 676
    31 Arizona Cardinals 673
    32 Minnesota Vikings 658

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/Rank_1.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/Rank_2.html

^^^^^^Has more stats
    test
  11. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

nice just what the jets needed.
    test
  12. StylisticS

StylisticS National Champions

When it comes down to it. There will be a salary cap. Now will it be set at 95 million, 94 or 93 million who knows. But there will be one it will just take sometime until everyone agrees to the number. That said, the Skins are so fucked its unbelievable. If they don't have an agreement by Friday. They will have to cut 15 people and still be 10 million over the cap. They are heading into Cap Hell and I WILL FUCKIN ENJOY THE SHIT OUT OF IT. If the salary cap is at 93 million or hell even 94 million. Danny boy can't restructure contracts like he has in years past.
    test
  13. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

^ Eh.

Cutting Arrington takes 12 mil off the cap alone. The rest of the guys won't hurt too bad besides Walt Harris, if Rogers doesn't live-up to his hype.

Player Cap number 2006 savings
    LB LaVar Arrington $12,045,980 $120,308 (charge)
    S Matt Bowen $2,400,000 $2,000,000
    K John Hall $1,965,000 $1,035,000
    CB Walt Harris $2,750,000 $2,000,000
    DT Brandon Noble $2,630,000 $1,700,000
    QB Patrick Ramsey $2,881,500 $1,688,000
    OL Cory Raymer $1,118,333 $984,999
    test
  14. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Good news, guys:

A league source tells us that a deal between the NFL and the NFL Players Association on an extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement is "done," and that the only thing keeping the thing from being signed and sealed is the absence of a firm arrangement among owners regarding an expansion of revenue sharing.

The only remaining problem is that the new CBA replaces "Defined Gross Revenues" (i.e., the stuff that has been shared by the 32 teams for years) with "Total Football Revenues" (i.e., every penny earned). And if every penny earned, including stuff that isn't currently shared, goes into the formula for determining the salary cap, the problem is that the low-earning teams will see their individual cap numbers influenced by the much bigger money being raked in by other teams.

Stay tuned. It's looking more and more like it's only a matter of time before the owners work this thing out. As they should.
    test
  15. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Geez, talks are dead. The owners can't come to an agreement.
    test
  16. toker

^^ blame the cheap owners and small market teams

why they think they should get money they dont deserve is beyond me... we got some cheap fucks that dont spend shit yet want part of the revenue other teams make

instead of taking risks and investing into their own product they ride the backs of the NFl and other owners
    test
  17. double ML

double ML Guest

double cannot sympathize with greedy pro athletes
    test
  18. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

if they reach a deal with a higher cap kerry collins might not get cut after all....this is terrible....no deal! no deal!...
    test
  19. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

please no
    i will hate the no cap rule....
    im sick of even tryin to listen to the CBA
    test
  20. StylisticS

StylisticS National Champions

Would it be wise to say that the NFL has nobody to blame but themselves for instituting this salary cap shit in the first place? Now they are having trouble trying to come to an agreement. I bet Selig is sitting back saying, "This is why I don't have a cap in my league too." Like I said earlier. The NFL will come to an agreement eventually.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.