No Cormier vs Mir thread?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Makabreli, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Frank Mir about to get bush league raped
    test
  2. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Every single time.

It never fails.

Every time a person makes their UFC debut, even if it's against a former champ, people assume the newbie has got it in the bag.

But then again Cormier did beat Josh Barnett.

Fucking Josh Barnett.
    test
  3. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Cormier excels at Mir's greatest failing - defensive wrestling

Mir's striking defence isn't great either and Cormier has severe power to put on that chin - the same chin that noted power puncher(!) Big Nog was chiselling to bits before he went for the guillotine
    test
  4. Makabreli

Makabreli done

this is a strikeforce fight

and stylistically, this is a no brainer

if you actually analyze fights and fight styles you see the only thing mir has on the guy is jiu jitsu, which is hardly the first time cormier has been the inferior sub artist. just in this case, his opponent isn't very good at getting people to the ground.

but yes, in this case, no brainer.
    test
  5. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

oooooh, well excuse me for not realizing Mir is downgrading stages.

That does take out the "out of his comfort zone" thing, which regardless of what people think plays a pretty large psychological disadvantage.

I'd still slightly put money on Mir, style doesn't always trump experience. I think Mir has more ways to win, but who knows...
    test
  6. Makabreli

Makabreli done

I wouldn't say Cormier will tear through the UFC HW division necessarily, but with his strong wrestling and surprisingly good striking, who knows.

You scoff at Barnett which I would be tempted to overlook if it was strictly a striking loss but fact is that he whooped Barnett striking AND grappling. For an mma newbie against a superheavyweight catch wrestler it's a pretty big deal.

Barnett's no joke, he's just lazy. As for Cormier, he's basically another Cain Velasquez, which is no coincidence seeing as they are training partners.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.