Nix, Sol, Auditory, Urb......

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Styles Escobar, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styles Escobar

Styles Escobar Ima Hustla Homie.......

(This question's directed primarily at the cats in the title of the thread, but feel free to drop input.)

1. What kind of soft synths are yall using? I've been looking for some good synth sounds but I haven't found a synth that gives me a large pool of quality sounds.

I'm currently using presets on the Pro-53, FM7 and sometimes the B4 and the Absynth. Don't use the B4 much because all it's got is organ sounds and all I can get from the Absynth is effects and the like. Favorite is the Pro-53 - definitely got the best sounds. FM7 is aight but it just doesn't have the sounds I want.

I'm also using sounds on the Hypersonic. Like the quality and variety of the sounds, but it's more real instrument sounds and less synth sounds.

2. Do yall make your own sounds on the soft synths you use too? I want to start doing that but I'm still looking for a good read on that. Got any sites or books worth checking out?

3. I've heard some of you talk about using patches, like an organ patch or a string patch. What exactly is a "patch"? Are you talking about a soundfont?
    test
  2. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

a patch is bacially the instrument
    theyre in keyboards/workstations and a few software programs
    i believe Fruity Loops as you said works with soundfonts.

same thin basically.
    test
  3. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

my main weapon is Reason 3.0 subtractor synths...........next up is the roland fantom, i'm pretty fond to the "soap opera organ" on there...and the guitars, i fuck wit just about all of them

but most my synths are made from scratch on subtractor.....from the bass all the way up to the high notes, i recently added the mv8000 to my setup, i use that for mainly drums, and i aint been samplin lately, so i have yet to run a record thru it and chop it up......the LCD screen is handy as fuck tho...just wish i had more than 8 tracks....i dont like bouncin sounds on top of each other and not being able to EQ em later....so i hardly use the built in DAW that joint comes with......

a patch is basically a sound set laid across your keyboard...sonically correct as far as the notes (most of them) if u get some ole wack shit off mpcsound.com...they might not even be tuned to the right frequency notes...or in any order at all...especially if they are guitar licks........browse thru a keyboard or sound module and those are all patches
    test
  4. -[InfaMouz]-

-[InfaMouz]- || M.Maestro ||

Whatever tickles ya ear drum (no homo).
    test
  5. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

reason.......

tweak your own patches in there.......
    test
  6. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

Do you even know how to use a synthesizer?
    test
  7. Auditory

Auditory New Member

all the beats on the soundclick/auditory site are all done 100% with reason 3.0 (and acid at times to record samples and some chopping). I make all my own synths and all my own combinator patches. Reason is a very powerful softsynth, Ive never used any of the stuff you used so i can't really compare it but you can't really go wrong with reason. Unfortunately i don't really know of any good reading material other then the reason manual. And everyone else pretty much already explained patches...there basically just the selected sound your using. go to www.soundclick.com/auditory and listen to "acid test" for a demonstration on how the subtractor can be used as a 303. It was a quicky i through together for some peoples at www.propellerheads.se who thought you couldn't achieve that kind of sound with reason. Assuming your familiar with the roland 303 synthesizer that is
    test
  8. Styles Escobar

Styles Escobar Ima Hustla Homie.......

Thanks for the in depth feedback fellas. I'm seriously considering making a switch from FL to Reason. This whole synth thing might seal the deal. A few more questions. Anyone know if:

1. Drums In .wav format can be used in Reason?
    2. Soundfonts can be used in Reason?
    3. The synths I mentioned above can be used in Reason?
    test
  9. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

1.) yes
    2.) no
    3.) no (no vst support)

your best beat if u want to run your VSTi's and reason is to rewire REASON into FL or (cubase or w/e u r using)
    test
  10. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

reason does read soundfonts but does not support vsts u dont really need many of them tho u can do it on the reason modules once u learn the modules
    test
  11. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

^^ Actually Soundfonts can be used in reason
    test
  12. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

can they?, oops......my bad, i never tried to load one in Reason, then again i dont use soundfonts to much, most sound like ass a doodle dooo
    test
  13. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

I have some friends who use soft synths and love them, but unfortunately I can't really help you out because I don't use software for sounds.. I might start getting into it because I'm gonna start messing with this program Logic 7 once I get my mac, if I do, I'll let you know. Stay on the grind.
    test
  14. Auditory

Auditory New Member

i was about to grab a powermac too but then a producer homie of mine grabbed one and was actually dissapointed in it...he was happier with his custom pc, felt like he spent too much buck for his bang. infact the mac glitched and had to be restarted while i was there
    test
  15. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

ahhh yeah I keep hearing bad stories about macs.. but the main reason Im looking into it is because of Logic 7.. that program is the best kept secret in the game.. that shits ridiculous..
    test
  16. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

Really Aud? did he have enough Ram? I've ran into 13430 issues with Windows os none with my mac
    test
  17. BANE206

BANE206 New Member

Even though most people say MAC's are powerful they usually have a biased opinion sort of like the fruity vs reason type arguments. MACs are definetly more stable then PCs But the limitations of macs far exceed the benifits for someone who uses alot of software and certain types of hardware. Not to mention MACs will eventually stop supporting pro tools, one of the main reasons to switch a mac. But if you know how to maintain your computer and dont over load it with crap and make sure you update your software then stability shouldnt be a problem. And Logic is a monster that is for sure but even that is not enough to switch.
    test
  18. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

MACS are dedicated machines basicaly, if u get a mac its just for STUDIO computer, or graphics or w/e...its not really a multi purpose machine like a PC
    test
  19. The Militant

The Militant New Member

no, its just that people that have macs just tend to use them for one thing..

you can just as easily use a audio dedicated pc... in fact, you can buy those silent ones look inside audio magazines theres shitloads of pc for studios....

pc is better for my type tho cos you can get pirate shit :D

as for synths... i always wanted to get into making my own sounds like you guys, is it hard? i saw a long ass tutorial but i lost it now

i usually just edit presets, how hard is it to make up your own from scratch. cos all the time i have a sound in my head and it takes a while to get it from editing presets so i go for the closest and tweak it...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.