Nislanif do you consider yourself a wigger

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Shit with corn in it IRM'S BITCH, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

had you applied "racioeconomics" to hip hop speicifcally and published you'd have been a couple of years ahead of the literature in that field. you shoulda stayed in academia son... [teet]
    test
  2. identity-X

true re: the borrowing of culture. while rap can more readily be classified as black culture it is distinctly American. same with the blues. Same with jazz. all were outgrowths of black music/expressive tradition create in response and influenced by specific things going on in America at the time.

but how is saying that offensive? [dunno]
    test
  3. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

word @ soultans last post

droppin the real ness on the site
    test
  4. x - calli

x - calli Guest

word @ rich

never thought soultan would drop knowledge quite like dat
    test
  5. he is wrongly assuming a 'group collective' borrowed from a culture. You and I both know soultans main point is this:

"YALL borrowed from US" . However, 'Yall' and 'us' aren't viable catergories for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post

i.e. whats the motive? power, advantage, perhaps resentment

shalom
    test
  6. Cedric

Cedric or otherwise Ced

@Brit_Boi_Gee – The fact that you’re asking NisLanif if he’s a “wigger” is telling me that he’s in the wrong for expanding his boundaries as a colored U.S. citizen, slash hip-hop culturist.

Rewind to the 1980s… sure, he was brought up in South Central L.A. and had the privilege to be raised in elements of hip-hop outside MC’ing, and I’m sure over the course of years, he picked up on hip-hop even further. But why stop there? Rewind to the 1800s, it’s commendable to know that he’s educated in Black history, and I believe it’s every colored person’s eventual duty to know their roots… but it doesn’t even have to stop there either. Rewind to 1776, America is a country themed around the plan our “founding fathers” created (Caucasian race) and the democracy that they themselves constructed, and as much as minorities hate to acknowledge the system at times, everyone that resides in the U.S. as a citizen has to play by its rules, if they are to make a constructive American come-up. It’s true that some democratic Caucasians may not take a liking to a minority abiding by the system and making a come-up, but that’s another argument that deserves its own thread. There’s a fraction of minorities that choose to abide by the system, and a fraction that don’t. The ones of color that do will have a firmer grasp at the come-up, at the mere sacrifice of being dubbed an “Uncle Tom” to some (mostly by their own kind), and in your awkward case… a wigger. The ones of color that don’t will barricade against the democracy, and their hand at the American come-up is greatly hindered. Not impossible, but hindered, since there remains few that’ve succeeded and fit this category, and follow destructive patterns. This is a dispute in hip-hop, because many in the culture still consist of minorities that choose to barricade against the democracy, mostly in the form of anti-U.S. revolutionary rap (if we’re talking the MC element). NisLanif isn’t one of those. The reason why I stepped into this thread is because I follow a similar path, only mine slightly more difficult. Rewind to the physical disunion of Eurasia, my roots lie in the inhabitants of North America thereafter (I’m 1/2 Navajo-Indian).

The root of your argument lies in the segregation that is contained in the hip-hop culture, and how today’s people of color have embraced its elements. Many critics will argue that rap is the only genre of music that’s socio-economically divided, and much of the strength in today’s rap through media and publicity is harnessed through “beef”. Practitioners of the MC element that reside in an anti-democratic climate will embrace “beef”, and use the energy in hate to ward those that offend them. Practitioners that reside in a pro-democratic climate do not embrace “beef”, nor rely on hate as an energy source, but still are a prime target to those that embrace either, in which case they “beef” only to defend.

Today’s definition of the American black is divided in many different facets, and the one that Nislanif has embraced isn’t politically incorrect. If you can cite where he’s made racially-motivated threads, I’ll be happy to dissect, if it's deserving.
    test
  7. identity-X

i think they're certainly viable...

i hate name/theory dropping (alright, no I don't)...have you read a lot of standpoint theory? Patricial Hill Collins, etc...?
    test
  8. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

lol @ brit boi grabbing at straws like a MUTHAFUCKA! [funny]

Now the word "y'all" is a derogatory slur. By "y'all", I mean any group of people who are not black americans who partake in hip hop culture. Just like a ton of blacks "partook" asian martial art culture, y'all "partook" in black culture. The problem arises when such borrowing magnifies stereotypical aspects of a culture. You got a lot of people who co-opt rastafarian or island culture and get it very wrong. If everything you know about the islands is the Welcome to Jamrock video, you got MY culture dead wrong. We're not all ruthless caribbean massive killas dem. Just like whenever we go to Benny Hanas (sp...don't ask me to try to spell it right) and my fiance's father suddenly starts bowing and saying "Hi" all the time and speaking english in a bad japanese accent, it's a caricature of the culture, not real.

I see the same thing when people think hip hop culture is some bullshit thuggery, like Bill O'Reilly thought even at his advanced age and education. However, while such an image of black culture repulsed him, it is the very thing that attracted many of Y'ALL (yes, yes, "y'all") to this culture, music and this very website. I'm not gonna call names this time because it is unnecessary; y'all know good and well who I'm speaking about. There are tons of examples within our 100+ users on rm.com. Good handfull frequent this forum and this very thread.

That's the problem with partaking in a culture to which you are not native. You really have to study along WITH the surface gleem of the culture the very norms mores and folkways of that culture and fully ingrain yourself. The less you do this, the more of a bafoon you look, and the more likely you are going to offend the hell out of many people or serve as comedic entertainment for them.

Oh, and for the record, I never grew up in L.A., I moved to L.A. as a grown man after college.
    test
  9. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

which is why I delineated specifically between those two.

readie read. [readit]
    "Y'all" means all but black americans. If you want to make it a black/white thing even further, that would just further the reality you subscribe to. Why are you so hell bent on excluding every other ethnicity in the equation besides blacks and whites? Ask yourself that question. What, are blacks and whites on the opposite end of some race spectrum you subscribe to?
    test
  10. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

soultan nobody wanna blend in tho

it aint getting shit "wrong"

its about bein who u wanna be
    test
  11. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

ur socialology degree must have messed up ur common sense
    test
  12. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

yeah exactly shit is just about being yourself. lol @ nikkas trying to police that (soultan and bbg)
    test
  13. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

There is something to be said about authenticity, remembering where you came from, and remembering who you are. It is common human decency along those lines that polices this. You cannot walk around claiming to be one thing when you aren't without people who are part of that culture checking you on it.

If I walk into a medical convention and pretend to know a lot about medicine or science just because I watch medical shows on tv a lot, the real medical professionals will make it clear that I'm an idiot, either explicitly or implicitly.

Same with rich and sodium who front hard on this site. Real cats have made it clear to you two time and again that such is moronic. The harder people tell you to back up with that bullshit, the harder you try, and THAT is pathetic and sad. This very THREAD is about that. "Soultan, do you consider yourself a wigger?" is basically a question that implies "soultan, you aren't who you say you are" or "soultan, you can't possibly be one some real shit." The reason FOR that is because some white guy cannot fathom a guy like me can be raised like I was and be "real" as I am with this hip hop shit. (Oddly enough, it rarely is ever a black guy FROM the culture who makes that claim, always non-blacks who would like to maintain their racist idea of what "black" is supposed to be...)

So no, ya mothers lied to you. You cannot just be what you want to be. You cannot just "be black" because you want to, societal norms will not allow it. And oreos cannot be "white" because they want to, genetics won't allow it.

Be who you ARE, don't live the shame of being something you not just because "you want to."
    test
  14. Yo soultan, can I feature on one of your tracks? I feel like a decent british mc dropping lyrics on par with kweli and Jay z will bring a definate grittyness to your album, kind of like when TQ had the british RnB group another level feature on the song 'summertime' .PM me for my portfolio. I am a great admirer of your work, especially "final sin" and we can get the nas and quan thing poppin.
    test
  15. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

youre gay
    test
  16. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

You're gay.
    test
  17. I promise I will dumb down so not to outshine you
    test
  18. p.s

my sig>your whole rhymebook
    test
  19. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

i think ur thinkin 2 hard

and trying 2 justify urself 2 much

a wigga = a white person who glorifies hip hop

thats the definition

and yes we can be how we want 2 be

we're human beings, we get 2 choose what we do

and ur not "real" with hip hop shit, its impossible

u went from bent billed flexfit 49er trucker hats to fitteds.....

ur 30 years old and have JUST gotten with the times
    test
  20. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

If you dumbed down any further, you'd be a micro organism...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.