New York Times Article On Sage Francis..

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by GameRGame, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

ummm... that's a setup line.... EVERY rapper says corny shit in setup lines... it ends up happenin'... that's not supposed to be a HARD PUNCH.... and do you know anything about lyricism? do you know what syllable rhymin' is? once again, I said his content ain't always great but in the aspect of writin' and rhymin' multiple syllables, inner bar patterns, that du's a monster.....
    test
  2. ESCO-BarZ

ESCO-BarZ New Member

Sage is wack.

nuff sed.
    test
  3. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Anyone who has heard Jay Z's 7 minute freestyle with Big L would never even think for a second that Sage is better than him in any way. Who the fuck is Sage Francis to say that he doesn't like Jay or anyone like him? How cares about that idiot? He's never going to have a career and that's one of the reasons why.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ since when was a person not allowed to say they don't like someone or someone elses music???
    test
  5. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

^^ I'm just sayin why bother. I mean nobody cares, who is he that he thinks anyone is gonna listen to him?
    test
  6. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

he's at a show with hundreds of watchers (most likely)... so it's like askin' YOU, who are you to say that about him? we have a right to say whatever the fuck we want... we don't have to agree... he has every right to say he don't like someone if he wants to, whereever he wants to...
    test
  7. Lord of Emo.

Lord of Emo. all hail.

I saw Sage live this week, and it was packed, probably 200+ people there, in a venue that gets little to zero publicity. He has a really big fanbase for someone whose opinions don't matter.

Point is, he's doper than Jay-Z. You're all defending Jay because you feel that you have to, or else you've become a backpackin' fag. Well, Sage is doper. His lyrics are thousands of times deeper. That lyric that the fucking idiot who wrote the article quoted was from the middle of a hook in a song that was much deeper than he made it out to be. Plus, Sage is an incredible poet, and he's hilarious. Puts on a better stage show than Jay ever could. More personality and much more charisma. Jay is still doper than 95% of the mainstream, but he's repetitive, and he's starting to get really fucking boring.

Sage's flow is dope on Healthy Distrust, and it wasn't even that terrible before. He just didn't write to the beats as well, but he has natural rhythm. For christ's sake, he beatboxes like a madman. See him live and tell me that he doesn't have flow, and it'll be apparent that you're just basing your opinion off of what you think you should say, rather than what you're seeing.
    test
  8. Broken English

Broken English Flyest Kiwi on Earth

^Thats becuz all his fans are nerds.. just like you
    test
  9. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Registered Abuser

there's so many idiots in this thread...it's getting too much

have any of you actually listened to "healthy distrust"? or "hope" even?

how doesn't he stay on beat? how doesn't he have delivery?

you morons are blinded by your own hate and stupidity that you can't even make a fair judgement on an artist. or you're just outright spewing false statements consciously because of your obvious homosexual love for jay-z.

how can you claim sage francis can't flow? do you have ears? or are you just making random comments cos you don't have any constructive criticism?

fucking morons.
    test
  10. T.Nitewulf

T.Nitewulf SHUT THE FUCK UP

Im sorry to slap you back on the shitty planet we call earth but in no way is Sage doper/better mc then jay z. wtf you chokin on ?Being an emcee means that you have to have

flow
    mic presence
    lyrics
    charisma

we can discuss on credibility but thats another thread. While Jay Z has all 4 of em Sage has about 1. The man has no mic presence, no flow and certainly no charisma. He has an awfull voice and from the looks of that interview is a very very boring person ( but thats my personal opinnion ). Sage has a little as fanbase of the 1000 people that bought his records while jay z..well...you do the math.

wheter his lyrics are deeper or not is another discussion too, but when you lack 3 of the 4 points I just mentioned your officially wack. Internet backpackers will call Sage dope.

Id rather listen to the carter then any of sage's shit anyday. My god, when will these broing rappers stop and get a regular 9-5. a thousand times deeper aye ? You mustve missed the reasonable doubt lp.
    test
  11. WorstAliasEver

WorstAliasEver Little Lord Fauntleroyce

This means you've never seen Sage live. One of the best live shows going right now.
    From the looks of your post, you're a very, very boring person. BOOYAH! Right back atcha. I'm not sure what "Sage has a little as fanbase of the 1000 people that bought his records" means. But, last I checked, either Personal Journals or Hope (I honestly don't remember which) had sold something like 30,000 copies. That's without a Def Jam budget behind him. That's without a NY Times article spreading his name to people that hadn't heard him before, and perhaps will check him now. That's without a company like Epitaph (who put out A Healthy Distrust) behind him.

Internet backpackers, eh? So, is that a bunch of kids sitting at their computer with a backpack strapped, loaded with vinyl and shit? Cause, that's actually a pretty funny image. Oh, and good looks on being the authority of what's wack. Takes one to know one. OOH! Gotcha again!

You'd rather listen to Lil Wayne than Sage? Good for you. Have a cookie. You've earned it. I'd rather listen to 400 Degreez than The Carter, but you don't hear me braggin. And these "boring" rappers will stop and get a 9-5 when people stop packing venues to see them perform, and they're unable to make a living off of what they love to do.

P.S. Reasonable Doubt was alright, but The Blueprint trumps it.

Peace.
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I agree with almost everything you say... but Sage does have charisma... and there's more elements to bein' a MC but those are the bases... he has charisma and his writing ability is brilliant

and the other thing I don't agree with is that you are makin' it seem like Sage isn't a 1,000 times deeper than Hov... he is... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...

Du's incredibly deep in his lyrics...
    test
  13. ZEUS OF THE UNDERLORDS

ZEUS OF THE UNDERLORDS LI's Most Blunted

yes ive listened to both healthy distrust and hope....

and he doesnt stay on beat because in half of his bars hes rushing to get words in and not staying in the 4/4 time...and he does have delivery...a very bad delivery...

sage francis has stayed underground for a reason...if he had such a loyal fanbase and whatnot he would be generating some interest from majors....and hes not...
    test
  14. SpAnKy

SpAnKy 플레이보이

hahah@ HOW cares about that idiot

Peep the sig, faggot.

loooooooooool
    test
  15. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Straight up, if you sell 30k independently, and tour like these guys do, they make as much as a lot of cats who sell hundreds of thousands on majors - so why would he do that?
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

yep... definitely....

mainstream rappers get less than 30% per record off the sales from their album and that's a few dollars... so if you go diamond, you're only makin' 3 mill offa goin' diamond and THAT'S IF you are even gettin' 30% (which is a 'lil above average per record)

independent artists get 'bout 60-75% of their sales... the thing is, "mainstream" labels give you a signing bonus and a budget to work with for each album that you can use for production/whatever you want to use it on. But that budget you get, you HAVE TO MAKE IT UP IN SALES.... UNTIL you do that, you don't get a cent from your album sales... so you have to make it up and then you get the 30%....

BASICALLY, ALL IN ALL, touring is where you make money... Eminem, 50 Cent, Beyonce, and all them big stars make 500K a night for a show... 500K times 30 cities (a tour can be that long) is 15 million dollars... that's HUGE....

but don't dog the underground rappers because if you're a semi-big underground rapper, you're makin' doctor money or more... Jin, BEFORE he dropped a record was on tour around the U.S. and makin' 5K a show... so say that's a 20 city tour... that's 100K right there... and yes, you have to pay managers, promoters, lawyers, and more but that's still more than a lotta family doctors make.... you can make a living off the underground and live well offa it...

MC Juice is a millionaire from what I hear (he got a mill just to sit 'n meet with Master P from what I heard) and a lotta other underground cats are in the hundred-thousandaires... YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL OUT to live offa hip hop music. Just manage your money right and be persistent...
    test
  17. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

I think Sage is wack
    test
  18. SpAnKy

SpAnKy 플레이보이

^ I think you smell
    test
  19. WordStylez

WordStylez New Member

Jay, although I enjoy his music and respect him alot, has over 50 lines I consider much worse than that Sage line.
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ as much as I love Jay, I can name WAYYYYYYYYYYY more than 50 Jay lines that're worse than that line....

and that line isn't that bad... what're you talkin' about? he's tryn' say God has no compassion.... deserts are the dryest places on earth and he's sayin' God's eyes never shed any tears.... he put us here and watches us fall to sin and kill and murder and die and he isn't effected.... it's kinda hot IMO...

but yeah, that's readin' it... when he spits it, I guarantee I'd be like, damn, I wish another rapper could write like 'em 'n spit his flows
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.