New York Times Article On Sage Francis..

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by GameRGame, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameRGame

GameRGame Do better.

Why is it so hard to be an underground hip-hop hero? Perhaps because the mainstream hip-hop heroes have already claimed so much of the best turf for themselves.

"I like 99 rappers, but Jay-Z ain't one," Sage Francis declared at the Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday night. And to prove it, he steered clear of all things Jay-Z-ish. That meant no slick outfits (the rapper and his band all wore black jumpsuits), no jewelry, no high-life boasts or low-life threats. But it also meant no impossibly smooth stanzas filled with hidden jokes and counterrhythms; no mesmerizing stories or irresistible refrains; no state-of-the-art beats or propulsive club tracks.

What was left? Lots of bitter sarcasm, for starters. Mr. Francis, a white rapper, has built his career on a foundation of rage and disillusionment: when he said, "This song is about how awesome guns are," listeners knew he meant the opposite; when he began the show with a verse that started, "I used to think that rappers had it figured out," everyone knew that he was about to explain how wrong he'd been.

Mr. Francis has spent the past few years amassing a cult of fans who prefer the overwrought to the overproduced. He delivers his heavy-handed barrages with the single-minded fury of a punk rock singer, which might be one reason that his new album, "A Healthy Distrust," was released by the punk label Epitaph. (To get a taste of the fractious, obsessive world of Sage Francis fans, visit the energetic Internet forum, inhalerproductions.com/forum/index.php, that he calls home.

The album has lots of densely written rhymes and even a tune or two (the indie-rock singer Will Oldham contributes a chorus), but it's still no fun to listen to: there are some clever couplets ("In a world where the girls got retro tattoos/ All I've got is a gut and Velcro black shoes"), but his harangues don't give them room to breathe.

At Bowery Ballroom, Mr. Francis's backup rappers (two women, one man) sometimes added some playful energy by pairing off, boy-against-girl, trading gruff lines for sing-song ones. But the most ambitious new songs sounded even worse live. A drawn-out version of "Sun Vs Moon" only highlighted the ill-considered lyrics: "God's not a woman/ He's a big white guy in the sky/ And the deserts are reflections of his eyes." (And he wonders why some rappers stick with crime and clubs?)

This was a night overrun with words, so perhaps it's no surprise that the highlight was all words: an a cappella version of "Slow Down Gandhi," his bitter but ambivalent protest poem. Whispering and shouting and singing and talking, Mr. Francis lambasted both warmongers and pacifists, getting closer and closer to his perverse goal: he's a rapper who dreams of being a lecturer.

...very on point.
    test
  2. FaceLess

FaceLess jook is my dad..

nice read

i like 99 rappers but jay z aint 1 haha
    test
  3. SpAnKy

SpAnKy 플레이보이

Finally, you did something good on this site.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Damn, they play the shit outta Mr. Francis... once again, he's a BRILLIANT lyricist but I can't stand his delivery and beats
    test
  5. ENice

ENice Janitor Changed My Name!

New York times is a joke of a newspaper it should be renamed The Liberal Times. This seems like it was written by some college kid who doesn't like him. Even though I don't believe this ran in the Times, but then again Jayson Blair was stealing articles for them.
    "Mr. Francis, a white rapper" c'mon seriously lol
    "I like 99 rappers, but Jay-Z ain't one," was the best part lol
    test
  6. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

jay is iller the sage come on mannnnnnnnnnnn
    test
  7. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

He's going to be here in Columbia MO tomorrow night, but I don't think i'm willing to pay $12 unless he get's a voice box transplant.

I'd go if it was $6 or so like the Hangar 18/One Be Lo show i saw last week, but I'm a poor graduate student I don't have cheese to throw around at will.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Sage is a better writer... Hov is a better overall MC...
    test
  9. Al Murder U

Al Murder U Lyrically...

jay>than any of your hero underground white, trash, emcees...

im describing them, not their lifestyle, all fits, tho.
    test
  10. Al Murder U

Al Murder U Lyrically...

"God's not a woman/ He's a big white guy in the sky/ And the deserts are reflections of his eyes."

jay z's weakest line is better than this one.
    test
  11. Al Murder U

Al Murder U Lyrically...

i mean the same reasons people like these certain emcees are the same reason other people like other mc's yet they fail to understand that.....jay is an excellent writer, even better song writer, he makes good music, great delivery, voice, not jus deep lyrics, although he has those as well.
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Jay ain't the GOAT .... you're off on that... I agree with a lot what'chu said though

Sage Francis is DEFINITELY a better lyricist though... and I don't even like 'em like that... I just know enough about him to know that he may be one of the greatest WRITERS to embrace hip hop... he's also a WELL WELL respected poet....

and Jay ain't the GOAT... I love Hov but I can name MC's that would eat the du' alive....
    test
  13. KonviKt

KonviKt Jonny Punchline

Sage is dope.

test
  14. jaykay

jaykay New Member

..basically sums up Sage Francis' and a lot of other underground rapper's careers. How can - listening to an angry, bitter man, who is mad at the world (when quite possibly, he has a better life than 99% of the world's population), who does everything to be different just for the sake of it, who has no concept of rhythm, flow or soul - be an enjoyment?

..and that line is disgusting.
    test
  15. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

wooooord? Sage is DEFINETLY a better lyricist than Jay? u dont say....I didnt realize u possess the ability to turn opinion to fact, my bad, I always thought music was subjective, guess I was wrong.....lol

fucc outta here.........
    test
  16. Al Murder U

Al Murder U Lyrically...

yea, mr sinstar and spanky are the same people, yall are gay.....
    test
  17. Al Murder U

Al Murder U Lyrically...

word.....theres nothing appealing about this brand of hip hop to me....these people arent still underground because they wont sell out, it's because they cnat commercially sell shit.
    test
  18. WorstAliasEver

WorstAliasEver Little Lord Fauntleroyce

Game hates white people. A Healthy Distrust is dope. Let your purist guards down, people. Call off the attack of the mainstream pits. It's ok to like Sage.

Sage's stuff now is lightyears beyond the shit that he did earlier, which is what most people base their criticisms on. Oh well. Jay-Z is dope too.
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

umm... here's some of the elements of bein' a LYRICAL MC....

deep metaphors, wordplay, syllable rhyming, concepts in the writing, meaning within' meaning, inner rhyme patterns, complex rhyme schemes (a,b,a,b/abc,cba/blah blah blah - there's too many kinds), and more

Sage wins in almost all those departments... it's not really about opinion... when it comes to who's a BETTER WRITER, it's like comparing Allen Iverson to Chucky Atkins... the elements of lyricism are like statistics.... Sage is a more complete LYRICIST

go even look for his poetry.... you'll know what I mean

and don't get me wrong, I like Hov WAYYYYYYYYYYY more as an MC

but Sage is one of the greatest writers to embrace hip hop (I say it again)
    test
  20. jaykay

jaykay New Member

..ohhh, right. A LYRICAL MC, as opposed to a non-lyrical MC.

Let me guess - Canibus is a lyrical MC, but 50 Cent isn't?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.