Net Producers trying to shakedown

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Marcellus, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcellus

Marcellus Streets Don't Love Me

Ok RM, I recently got a call from a PRODUCER, about a youtube video (that I get no youtube revenue from its thousands of views) of me rapping over an instrumental of his I recorded for a promotional non profit mixtape in 2011 and he made in 2005. The producer asked me to either take down the video, or pay him a couple hundreds, but get this, the beat is a sample based. If he has sample clearances & copyrights for the beat I would have no problem legally paying him, but can he sue me or send a cease & desist order to me for a beat that he dosent 100% fully own? I mean can you take legal action for a beat that you dont have copyrights to? Is it possible?
    test
  2. Katastrofik

Katastrofik THE SOUND OF L.I

He probably can, cause its not 100% yours. Link? Do you give him credit? Each producer has different terms as to what your allowed to do with a "leased" beat or a "free download" beat. Even with the sample, i guess it depends on how recognizable the sample is, and exactly what is being sampled.

Im not really too sure, but hopefully someone can answer this fully. This is why i dont want to upload on youtube unless i have exclusive beats.
    test
  3. _RhYmEs_

_RhYmEs_ Need Dope Beats??

if you aint making no dough he cant do shit, yes you can have copyrights to the arrangement,, thats it tho, if you are selling this song on itunes or using it in a commercial, then maybe he can take some legal action for future revenue, but your not sooooooo, fuck em
    test
  4. Katastrofik

Katastrofik THE SOUND OF L.I

Good looks on the info ^°°
    test
  5. Hitsville2

Hitsville2 Top Producer

As someone said before what are the terms, from the producer who made the beat?

Always give credit to producers in your title. Usually that will keep them happy.

But as to your specific question. Whether or not he has sample clearance he still has copyright to his beat, unless he didn't change a thing to the original. If he chopped it, he partially owns the derivative work.

The clearance issue is between him and the original work and between YOU and the original work. If the samples are cleared it's no problem.

If not, both you and the producer could be sued for royalties owed to the original! Even though you didn't make the beat, you are still using the beat including the samples contained therein.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you blow up, than there might be a line of lawyers leading to your door ;)
    test
  6. MFB

MFB Ciroc Boys

Saw this identical thread on gearslutz. Odds are you'll get a better answer there than in this section of the site.

Sent from the streets of struggle
    test
  7. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

if he really wanted your video down he could just email youtube and say youre infringing copyright, the original sample's copyright not his.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.