Need Help with vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by terrencej31, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrencej31

terrencej31 New Member

I have really struggled with my vocals trying to get them to sound like what I hear on other cds. As of now I am using Pro Tools LE 8 M-Box 2 with a MXL 9000 Tube Condenser Microphone and a PreSonus Studio Channel Vacuum Tub Channel Strip. I put some foam and pillows in a closet.

My question is, would anyone be able to show me how to do my vocals {EQ, DeEsser, Reverb and Compression} in a Pro Tools session? Not a Complete song just a bar or 2 of myself so I can understand it better. The vocal will be recorded dry. If not a PT session break all the numbers down so I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance
    test
  2. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

What kinda levels are you getting into pro tools? I would be careful with your pre amp, if its not a class A tube (which it isn't) no offense it can provide undesirable sounds in your recording. Also theres no real "preset" of what people are doing, but try these steps

on the eq hpf somewhere between 150-250 whatever doesnt take off the strength of the vocal

Compression use about 4:1 ratio get 3-6dB reduction

Try a slap delay or short delay before your reverb.

lastly use your ears. this is the most important part noones going to give you all there tricks to mix. But bring in mixes you think sound good listen to where the vocal sits in the mix and how the frequencies respond.
    test
  3. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Ahh man I'd bet the bank you'd get a lot better results by switching either your mic or your pre-amp.. you're doubling up on the tubes and that's generally going to yield undesirable results.. If you stick with the tube mic you would benefit from going through a solid state amp or vice versa if you stick with the tube pre-amp go with a solid state mic.. if you want to send me a pt session I can mix it and see what I would suggest for you though.. my email is roushy1@gmail.com if you want to send it or ask any questions.. I use pt9 though so if you're using 8 or earlier I can open it in 9 and mix it but you wouldn't be able to open it after that in an earlier version once I've opened it in 9 as I understand it..

off the top I'm gonna say there's a good chance you could benefit from a vocal exciter to fill up the high end to cut through the mix.. having two tubes like that will really color the vocals.. I'd also guess a high pass on the back ground vocals cutting out a good chunk of the mids and lower to free up space for the lead vocal.. best of luck and take it ez
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.