Need help with a decent setup

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Katastrofik, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katastrofik

Katastrofik THE SOUND OF L.I

Just got a new laptop, looking to get some equipment. next week. $500-1000 budget for now. maybe i can get certain things and upgrade later..

i travel alot too. always on the move.

obviously i need a Microphone stand, headphones & pop filter..

as for microphone, i was thinking the audio technica at2020 usb maybe

any suggestions on decent monitors? powered or passive?

what else what i need? new soundcard? iuno

hit me back tho..
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

You're in a tough spot in that price range.. You'll need at minimum an interface and a mic.. If I were you I would skip the usb and get a mic with an xlr connection that will plug into the interface.. If you just have USB on your laptop then you'll need to either get a usb interface around the $500 range.. or if you have an express card slot you could get a firewire express card and then get a firewire interface in about the same price range.. That'd leave you $500 on the mic and cables.. etc..

Don't skimp on the mic.. I wouldn't dare recommend specific models of interfaces or mics until I heard something.. you need to get a mic that is a good match for your vocals. This takes research and if possible.. the best way is to always try them out.. if not then at least read up to see what kind of people with similar vocals as your own have had good results. If you have something I could listen to I might be able to suggest a few.. pz.
    test
  3. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Oh yeah, monitors.. man that really cuts into your budget.. Check out the JBL's.. they have some really inexpensive Active monitors that probably sound as good or better than anything in the same price range IMO.. Your best bet.. is to get something with 8" cones to give a better picture of the bass.. M-Audio has some decent monitors in that range as well.. You'll definitely want Active monitors unless you have or want to get an amp to power passive monitors. pz.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.