Need help on my lats

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Thrilla-Ali, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrilla-Ali

Thrilla-Ali Dapper Don

I don't have a chin up bar
    i don't know how to install a chin up bar but would love to have one
    i work out in my basement
    i need a workout that would substitute chin ups if possible

the only thing im lacking is chin ups
    test
  2. Snizzer

Snizzer New Member

Whats your equipment?
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

What he said^
    test
  4. SD-11

SD-11 The Iron Curtain

ya , i wanna build up my lats a bit too...i also work out in the basement...my equiptment is a bench press tht only inclines, not dicline...also i have dumbells..also a ounching bag, skipping rope but tht wont help...so if u guys know any workouts tht will help wit my lats tht would be great....

thnx..

ez...
    test
  5. trifle

trifle New Member

bent over rows

You're going to have to really focus on the lats, keep the weight low at first, don't up it until you can feel your lats doing the work.. your rear delts will help but really try to focus on the lats
    test
  6. enjoii

enjoii New Member

Yep bent over rows
    test
  7. Big Glenn

Big Glenn New Member

No not bent over rows.... Do pull overs with a DB preferably ...if not that then u can use a plate or even a bar with a inside grip. also... im sure u can find something to hang on and do pull ups (tree, stairs). Also depending on what kind of bench u have... u can move the bench part up and move the part that holds the bar up as high as u can....u can then sit and do pull ups on that as well.
    test
  8. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

deadlifts will work your lats as well.
    i was gonna suggest the bent over rows primarily.
    also the barbell rows if you can. just be careful with the weight and your back. cause it's kind of akward if your not use to duing it.
    test
  9. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

test
  10. Thrilla-Ali

Thrilla-Ali Dapper Don

im doing bent over rows right now.. crazy excersize
    works my lats nice too

thanks for every1 that posted
    test
  11. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

Bent over rows are an incredible lift, but not for lats.......you're not gonna build your lats doing that man.

just being honest. But when doing the bent over rows, make sure to have an overhand grip rather than underhand grip. Try that and you'll see why.

Anyways, with your equipment......or lack their of.....I'd suggest an exercise I do that hits the lats real hard.

Get a 45 pound plate or a dumbell. Lay on your back on your bench, hold the plate over your chest with arms extended. Now, slowly go back over and behind your head, then pull it back up until it's over your chest.

I don't know what it's called but it's nuts. Squeeze them lats on the way up man. You can use a dumbell for this aswell.
    test
  12. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

^ Knows what he's talking about. The only way I could possibly see bent over rows working is if you were maybe standing on some sort of platform. Even then, it still wouldn't work all that well. The main thing about working lats is the stretch. Dumbell Rows (I beleive their called) would work best.

I used the beam in my basement for pullups. Starting out, it wasn't great because it's not the same as gripping a pull-up bar. Eventually though, I was able to do them with ease, and the weird grip helped my grip strength. Pullovers, as a few alluded to will work the lats minimally. Stick to dumbell rows. If your beam isn't useable, buy one of those things you put on the door for pull-ups.
    test
  13. Thrilla-Ali

Thrilla-Ali Dapper Don

yo i do the exact same thing. I did pull ups with the beams in my basement but its almost impossible to elevate.. your forearms get tired so quick and its mad difficult man.. how many do you do on the beam?
    test
  14. Thrilla-Ali

Thrilla-Ali Dapper Don

yea i seen that excersize b4 i think, do you have to bend your elbows? or come straight down without extending the elbows?

here's what my bench looks like btw

[​IMG]
    test
  15. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Well then I'd say you might be lacking in forearms strength also. I'd look into some forearm excercises. I do reverse wide grip pull-ups. Just assum the same width of a grip as you would with a military press. I come up to right after my face is papassed the beam. I don't go down to full extension of the arms though. I can do sets of about 7-8 which is pretty good considering it's an "I" beam and I in no stretch of the imagination can wrap my hand around it.

I've figured out quite a bit of ways to do certain club type excercises at home. That's if you have a smith-machine though. I've figured out how to do leg presses, calf raises, seated calf raises. I've figured out how to have constant tension on dumbell flyes, cause that always bugged me. if my smitch machine were taller, I'd be able to do pull-ups on that thing. There's some basica equipment you need for certain things. But past that, a little imagination never hurt anybody.
    test
  16. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

Take your barbell, put 10's on both side......put your head where you ass would usually be so you're turned around on your bench....no extend the barbell up like you're about to bench. Now instead of doing a bench press motion....keep your arms extended all the way out and come backwards past your head. like you're about to do skullcrushers. Except do not bend at elbow, keep your arms straight. Then bring the wait back up until it's over your chest, back into the bench press form.

I wish I could just video tape myself doing it and put it on here.
    test
  17. khughes2345

khughes2345 New Member

lat pulls in front down below your chin
    test
  18. khughes2345

khughes2345 New Member

you can do them behind your head too, but really wouldnt substitute for chin ups then
    test
  19. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

hmm, you have a leg attachment there? use it for seated rows.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.