Need Help Deciding On Keyboard!!?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Mr. Verbalist, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

I've been making beats a couple years w/ no midi keyboard or workstation of any kind. I'd say I'm pretty good, but I just wanna upgrade to bigger and better sounds. So should I get a midi keyboard and buy vst's?? or save up some dough and buy a nice workstation? I'm trying to spend no more than $400 at a time. Any suggestions?
    test
  2. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

Get a midi controller, man.

Workstations are nice, but they aren't as necessary as they once were. Prior to the easily-accessible desktop era, music makers had no choice but to invest thousands in music production hardware. Now that we have cheap desktops and audio interfaces, you really only need a keyboard controller to start out. You can always purchase advanced hardware in the future, although rack modules are definitely more bang for your buck (space-saving, too).

Something like the M-Audio Axiom MKII series might be worth a glance. You get a variety of useful features, including semi-weighted keys, pads for drum sequencing, and dedicated play/stop/record buttons, as well as a variety of other features. The Akai MPK series offers similar features, although it has fully-weighted keys, which is something I prefer.

Edit: Trust me when I tell you that the transition to using a keyboard for music production is well worth it. I could NEVER go back to using my mouse to make beats...
    test
  3. Mr. Verbalist

Thanks man! This was a shit ton of help! I'll check those recommendations! And yeah..using a mouse sucks a fat one.. too time consuming and tedious! thanks again!
    test
  4. Mr. Verbalist

test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

In most cases I would dodge workstations these days. Unless you really like them software has won that battle. Actual synths are a different story but soft synths are quickly catching up in that regard too if you are the sound building type.
    test
  6. KCSwagger

KCSwagger New Member

Depends on DAW FL Studio gives list
    test
  7. PDtoPENS

PDtoPENS New Member

I use a shitty keyboard that runs through FL studio... shit does wonders when I use it. But I really don't have the space for it.
    test
  8. Lord Lav

Lord Lav Member

M-Audio Keystation
    test
  9. moneyrollbeats

moneyrollbeats producing that fire!

Mpk 49

I would go with the Akai MPK 49 its a great controller and it has that mpc feel to it having the pads integrated.
    ive used it with reason, fl studio, cubase and protools and it works fine.
    I would stay away from hardware, nowadays you dont really need it vst's are a revolution in the music industry!!
    test
  10. Mastamind Musik

Mastamind Musik New Member

Midi Controller and plugins. Trust me.

Go cop a Axiom 49 by M-Audio and Nexus 2 VSTi by ReFx. Thats all you really need. Besides talent.
    test
  11. CaptainBeats

CaptainBeats New Member

If your only spending 400 then I would not invest in a Workstation because they are 1500 and up for a good one. I would go with a AKai especially now. Go to thier website they got some bad ass controllers coming out in August.

Instrumentals for sale
    test
  12. mookmook

mookmook New Member

craigslist dude
    test
  13. Star Tanner

Star Tanner New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.