Nas VS Jay-z 2013!!!

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Who makes better music?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2014.
  1. Nas

69.2%
  2. Jay-z

30.8%
  1. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I meant solo album.....was it HHID or untitled?.....

what puts nas in the leader position album wise between these 2?.....
    test
  2. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

:dizfacepalm: :dnadafuck:
    test
  3. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Can't see those smiles on tapatalk bruh

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  4. Mel Man

you out ya mind with that comment
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

whats the point of that? If we do that we'd ALSO have to take into consideration that Jay is where he is because of Nas.
    test
  6. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Where was Nas before that beef my niggas? Jay pulled Stillmatic outta him. Then started signing his checks and Nas became a front runner again.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  7. Superman70

Superman70 edited

don't forget about what potentially takes jay OUT of the leader position. namely jay's last 2: bp3 and mchg.

Still dont want to think about "A Star is Born."
    test
  8. Dear Diary

Dear Diary Well-Known Member

all i know is i just listened to Life is Good for the first time in a while again and to me it's so much more powerful than Magna Carta it's not even funny. not only is Nas' rapping much more on point than Jay's (on the respective albums), but i FEEL him so much on this album. the realness is seeping from the speakers the whole way through, and i'm a 23-year old white middle-class European. in other words, i couldn't have much less in common with Nas but i still feel every word he says. can't say the same thing about Jay on Magna Carta. he spends a lot of time talking about art he owns and the wines he sips in European countries which sounds like something i should be able to connect with more than NY hood stories, but it's not. at all.
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

throughout their careers theve both benefited from each other...

Jay's stan-like Nas fascination caused him to sample Nas on several tracks.

the beef showed people that nas could still spit that ill shit and it showed people that Jay was a contender for king of NY.

after the beef ended Nas made some of his best music on Jay's Def Jam label, while jay had the honer of letting Nas murder him on several tracks they appeared on together.
    test
  10. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

The nigga was signing his checks bruh. I'll accept you "murdering me on tracks" while im paying you homie. Stillmatic came from a fire being lit under his ass

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  11. Mel Man

Ya lets not forget who was beginn who to be on tracks, who got whose numbers, and who ran with whose style

This was before Stillmatic...

Then Stillmatic came n Nas reasserted his way back to the top

n neva look backed since..
    test
  12. Mel Man

Nas shit on Def Jam when they had their problems

n now he done with them
    test
  13. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Jay has been excused of biting a niggas style his whole career. It's to a point people just don't wanna give credit. Because he's better then ya fav rapper one way or another. Yea Jay looked up to him in the begining. Just like how you look up to the coo uncle. Who slides you beer and weed as a kid. Then when you grow up this nigga asks you for money to getta 211. Jay put a soul in that shell of Nas career.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  14. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Truth.

Except for Black Republicans. Jay's verse was, for lack of a better term, ether.
    test
  15. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

Great question.

Right now, I would say Jay, because I wasn't impressed with LIG. However, catalog wise, I don't think Jay can fuck with Stillmatic/Lost tapes/Godson Nas.

However, I always thought Jay was a more complete mc, but Nas always got him where it matters most: substance. And since I value substance over everything, I would have to give it to Nas over the whole of his career. But magna carta was more enjoyable to me than LIG and I have to say that Nas is beginning to sound stale to me.
    test
  16. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Foolish statement. This is what you'd like to believe but the fact is we don't know.

How u finna give credit for Nas' album to somebody else?

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  17. Orange407County

Orange407County Well-Known Member

Illmatic
    It was written
    Stillmatic
    Lost tapes
    Gods son
    Life is good

Reasonable doubt
    Vol 1
    Vol 2
    Blueprint
    Black album
    American Gangster

IMO best albums from both

Idk man I mean I always preferred Jay. Blueprint is possibly my favorite album period. If your looking at the better albums substance wise I gotta go with Nas. But over all Nas just goes stale for me, Jay keeps coming out with fresh stuff and magna carta keeps getting better to me with each listen. Nas style seems to never change, hes always been the same to me.
    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    test
  18. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Easy. Cause he was in the shadows after I AM. Nastradamas was terrible. That beef gave his career,life. More then alot of people think he won that battle. That's a stripe on his sleeve bruh. Nas in his heart knows that shit. And you do too.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Are you talking about their musical palettes or their subject matter?

In the former, Jay might win... in the latter, Nas wins overwhelmingly.

Over the last 5 years, Jay's focus has been so narrow... ie., I'm an OG, y'all niggas ain't on my level, been there, done that, my lady is the best, Obama is my boy, I'm not a businessman... I'm a BUSINESS, man, etc. etc. etc.

The majority of his early career has been... money, money, money, I'm flyer than you... fuck bitches, I'm above the nonsense.

Jay makes good music, but it's on a much more superficial level than Nas... he keeps it basic and slick.
    test
  20. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Nas was never meant to be a party rapper... that's not his character... so that shiny pink suit phase was so fake... I didn't listen to Nas for those 3 years because of that... '97-'99... I did like "Nas Is Like" and "Project Windows" but that's it.

There is only 2 Jay Z albums I thoroughly enjoy... Reasonable Doubt and American Gangster... his other albums, I skip through too much... too much filler, too much repetition, too much horrible beats, too much dumbing down of lyricism.
    test