Nas vs. Biggie

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

When Big was alive, I never knew these two had beef... "The Message" and "Kick in the Door" apparently slipped past me... I didn't find out until Nas said, "who you think Kick in the Door was for?" And I read somewhere that his line, "there's one life, one love, so there can only be one KING" was directed at Big... but after listening to Victory recently... I think Big really hit below the belt with his verse... "you hesitatin'/ I'm in your mama crib waitin'/ duct-tapin',/ ya fam DESTINY is in my hands..." Now if that's not a double entendre directed at his daughter, then I don't know what is... wow... I never was up on that track like that back then because I hated Puff around that time... and I boycotted anything he put out unless Big was on it... but I only heard this song once or twice back then... I want to know, did Nas ever respond to that verse? If so, what song? Big and Pac stirred up a lot of shit before they went out... RIP... Damn!
    test
  2. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

I dunno if Nas responded but The Message and Kick in the Door are both classics
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I think Big might've died before Nas had a chance to respond...
    test
  4. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

I think (THINK) I talked about this on this board and dudes called me out on it since there is no real footage saying they were dissing each other, only texts but no real video footage. I don't remember if this is correctly or not.

Man this dude Nas is lucky Big and Pac died. I mean, since they died he only had to beef with Hov, but if Pac and Big would've of survive, he would be buried lol
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I don't know... I think he would've stuck to making compelling music instead of that mostly garbage he was droppin' between '97 and '99... '97 is the wackest year on record, imo... I think that Wu Tang was the only thing I was feelin' that year... and the Biggie was cool, I guess
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

"Don't forget the publishing/I punish 'em, I'm done with 'em"

^Think I heard that was a Nas diss - like Jay's jab on Takeover about Nas not getting paid off him sampling The World is Yours
    test
  7. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Wow@that Destiny line being bout Nas daugther. That's fucked up

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  8. Mel Man

Not to me

Besides Wu, BIG, n Bone droppin double album classics, Common dropped a classic, CNN n Wyclef dropped they debuts,,

Company Flow, EPMD, Jay-Z, Pac, KRS, Busta all dropped albums

Rawkus Soundbombing dropped which began to showcase the talents that were Kweli n Mos Def

Canibus, Em, n Cage hit the underground scene n were killin shit!

97 was DOPE!
    test
  9. Mel Man

Jay Z Vol 1 is actually near classic to me n that topped off 97
    test
  10. Mel Man

test
  11. Mel Man

N that's just scratching the surface...97 had everything: hits, underground classics, newcomers, legends..

Compare it to today n it's no contest..
    test
  12. Mel Man

My bad didn't post the original bonny n clyde 97 titled Just the Two of Us

test
  13. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

Lost Boyz - Love Peace & Nappiness dropped in 97 too...but ieven thinking of calling 97 a wack year in hiphop says a lot about the last decade+ in hiphop. There were prob just as many classic albums dropped in 97 as there were in the last 10+ years
    test
  14. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

nas was easily the iller lyricist so i got nas
    test
  15. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

97 was one of the illest years ever. We could be here all night listing reasons.
    test
  16. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Supa Dupa Fly was that work. Missy doesn't get enough credit imo. Her videos were always the shit too

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  17. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

missy and timbo made a lot of great music together......Missy is waaaay to under-appreciated in the overall picture of rap/urban music
    test
  18. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

I GOT BIG ON MY 2ND ALL TIME

NAS OF COURSE WITH LONGEVITY HAS BETTER RESUME..

BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS..

JAY AND NAS>> ALIVE>>

BUT IF PAC N BIG WAS Alive?
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I remember a lot of that shit y'all posted and most of it was hot... I was thinking more album-wise... there were a lot of hot party singles released that year... but I remember '97 becoming mostly commercial... '98 to me, had better albums than '97... and by '99, I was completely underground.

'98 had First Family 4 Life, Capital Punishment, It's Dark and Hell Is Hot, Aquemini, Hard Knock Life Vol. 2, Moment of Truth, Black Star

Doc's Da Name 2000 was hot, but not a classic... I also dug Flipmode Squad's The Imperial.

In '97, I really only liked Wu Tang Forever and When Disaster Strikes... I only liked half of Life After Death... I wish I could shave half of those songs off and make one bangin' disc.

I was late on that Co-Flow... didn't really check them until '99, but I'll throw that in there for '97... so that was 3 albums I'd really call classic... and I'll accept that LAD is classic, too, but I'm not feelin' it overall as much... I dug that Missy Elliot single and even that Wyclef Jean joint with the Staying Alive sample... used to dance with mad bitches off that song... lol... my favorite single from the summer of '97 was "Wild for the Night" by Rampage and Busta... and Jigga's "Who You Wit" was dope, but I didn't like Vol. 1.
    test
  20. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

97 was a very polarised year for Hip-Hop. In one corner you had The Firm, Mase, Jay-Z etc making flashy, ostentatious efforts and on the other side you had crews like Jedi Mind Tricks, Scienz of Life, Living Legends etc making the most experimental, abstract, low budget, and vein releases. There wasn't enough of a middle-ground, and there were probably as many classics released in August/September 1998 as there was for 97 in it's entirety. My favorite 1997 album was "Future Development" by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, apparently it was only available online though, I didn't listen to Hip-Hop at the time so I don't know how listened to it was.

This is one of my favorites:

test