name what u consider 6 essential supplements besides protein...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Dahnamics, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

i reconize most of the stuff in that picture, its just things like fish and flax oil, glutamine(which you swear by), BCAA's, ZMA, protein(which everyone should have because its cheaper than food), and creatine. theres really nothing insane. i dont know what it is you hate so much about supplements, most of them are just concentrated forms of things you find in food anyway, except theyre more effifciently enhanced in terms of quality, and far less expensive not just on your wallet, but on your total caloric intake as well.

i dont take a lot of supplements either the only stuff i take is: fish body oil, flax seed oil (both just sources of fat and EPA DHA) protein, BCAA's, and multivitamins.

the difference is, i dont take every supplement on the market, but i still can realize the benefits that they provide. testosterone is actually pretty expensive and not only that but im still young (turning 20 Oct 25th) so i think i may be too young to take it anyway.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

I wrote up a bunch about why I am opposed to most supplements then my fucking browser crashed, so I'll try to sum it up again.

Many supplements contain only nutrients with established recommendations, so using them to meet nutrient needs can leave you deficient in other nutrients. Supplements also lack beneficial phytochemicals that are found only in whole foods.

I don't believe all supplements are bad, but people with as many as I showed in that pic are being kind of over the top in my opinion.

Another thing is that in the United States, supplements arent legally considered drugs and are not regulated the way drugs are. Before they are put on the market and approved by the fda, drugs undergo clinical studies to determine safety, effectiveness, side effects, risks, appropriate dosages, etc. The fda doesn't test supplements and supplements are not required to demonstrate either safety of effectiveness before they are marketed.

Supplements are not as closely regulated as drugs, and there is no guarantee that a product even contains an ingredient it says it does, let alone the appropriate amount.

They also can be promoted by false science, biased research, and hype. As well as research that may demonstrate association but not causation, and research done on rather small samples of people, many in case studies that should be examined more carefully before you generalize them and assume it will work for you.

I really don't think people need that many supplements and I'll stand by that forever. The only exception is if your trying to be a professional body builder, which I'm assuming nobody here is.
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I don't know a lot of people trying to be professional body builers, but I know a hell of a lot trying to LOOK like professional body builders.
    test
  4. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Iono man I guess I'm just glad that I dont have to take supplements to be swole. As much as I know that you know about supplements and whats good and bad and etc..I still can't help but agree with Live and kinda laugh at that.
    Creatine and Protein is all for me. Well creatine half the time when I remember to take the stuff and Proetin poweder when I remember to buy it.
    Oh well, I wont take all those supplements because A) I think its funny, B) it costs too much, C) its too much work, D) don't you have to keep taking this stuff everyday for it to keep its effect? That means that for the rest of my life Ill be taking this stuff....no thanks...

But then again Im not trying to "look" like a bodybuilder...
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

honestly Ben, most of those supplements you see marketed in magazines ARE bullshit. In fact, most magazines related to bodybuilding,fitness, etc are just 200 pages of "ad-pimping" which is why i dont read those magazines.

i dont know how the testing method goes, but i know this much, just about every product that gets released has multiple independent studies done on it. not only that, but people are buying them, and as im sure you know, if someone is unsatisfied with a product they will definately let you know about it.

my general rule of thumb for supplements is: know what youre taking, and why youre taking it.

ive contemplated taking creatine but im not taking a single gram until i get situated with my food first, meaning i need to find out how much i have to be eating to be making gains before i start taking creatine or else i may be doing myself a large disservice by not getting my maximum gains. i also would ONLY take a pure creatine monohydrate not that mixed together shit and of course some kind of other supplment to deliver it properly.

and yes, i am trying to look like a body builder

or better yet, less and less like a guy who trains in a bedroom, and more and more like a guy who sleeps in his gym.
    test
  6. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Whoever showed that picture, way too much stuff. At the most, my supps look like half of that pic maybe.
    test
  7. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

That was my picture. And it's not too much stuff. It's a whole lot of goodness.
    test
  8. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

I couldn't take all of that stuff. Let alone pay for it.
    test
  9. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I don't take them all every single day : )

Depends on what I feel I need at that point in time and dose myself accordingly ha

Few are staple every day though such as whey, fish oil, multi, one or two others
    test
  10. Ben Official

lol @ you talking me like i dont know what im talking about
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

^actually the only time i referenced you in my entire post i was agreeing with you.

i think you know what youre talking about when it comes to things like endurance type exercises and that sort of thing. your lack of knowledge in supplements, or perhaps more appropriate: your doubt of their effectivness, is reflected by your complete bias towards them. for no rhyme or reason you disapprove of supplements. im not saying you have to take them, im not saying you should take them, but for god's sake atleast reconize that there are benefits to using them. (and yes i reconize not all supplements work, or deliver what they promise)
    test
  12. Ben Official

i'm not doubting the effectiveness of supplements at all. i take some supplements myself. i'm just saying that people can achieve their goals without them, even if they arent that genetically gifted. too many people go out and buy all these supplements because of hype and a few un reliable research studies when they could be spending their money on better stuff that will help them reach their goals faster. people need to use more critical analysis before choosing what they put in their body. thats all im saying. and its not for "no rhyme or reason". i am very knowledgeable in exercise, nutrition, and health. i get my knowledge from college courses, reading, and surrounding myself with professionals in those areas. i know what im talking about and im not trying to convince people to change the way they act or what they buy, im just voicing my opinion which i think is pretty accurate. i also say what i do because i used to be one of those people who would go out and spend hundreds on supplements and believed they were working for me. then the more i learned, i changed other parts of my lifestyle and noticed a much bigger change than most supplements could ever contribute to. thats all.
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

^ i agree with you that way too many people just run out and grab supplements thinking that theyre basically magic, or its just so hyped up, especially no xplode. i have friend right now who keeps talking about supplements but he just started working out (so im sure hes doing a lot wrong anyway) and i keep telling him that before he starts putting that shit into his body he needs to get the basics of proper exercise and nutrition down..this kid is telling me he wants to take some BCAA's while hes holding a bottle of gingerale..im like wtf kid anything you take will be negated by your poor diet.

but i mean if youre already eating properly, exercising hard and correctly, then why the hell not take some supplements, especially if theyre great ones like fish/flax seed oil and BCAA's which really help a lot.

no xplode, and all these other hybrid concotions, i do not ingest myself or condone to others. my supplement world consists of

fish oil
    flax oil
    zma
    multi-vit
    protein
    bcaa

and while i dont take it, i approve of testosterone boosters. thats pretty much it
    test
  14. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Such as?
    test
  15. Ben Official

ugh I cant STAND people like that... i know this kid, literally 110 pounds, not an exaggeration. he lives in this one bedroom apartment and owns a 10, 15, and a 20 pound dumbbell, a bench, and thats it. hes always like "man im so sore i worked out so hard this morning, i can barely move my arms" when i've been there while he worked out, it takes him about 10 minutes of pathetically horrible exercises, all in bad form, but every time i try to help him out he gets mad.

he starts talking like "i ate so many eggs this morning, and this protein shake, oh man im so sore" when his apartment is literally fucking covered in candy bars, soda, beer, and old bags of mcdonalds and bk. he has whey protein and i try to tell him he shouldnt even think about taking it until he straightens up his diet and joins a gym (or at LEAST go to the gym at his apartment, but hes lazy as fuck and probably is embarrassed to be seen working out when hes so small). but he's not changing. its no big deal, i dont worry about it but it just bugs me when he complains to me how sore he is or how hard of a workout he had earlier that day.

hes wasting his time.
    test
  16. Ben Official

such as...

-consuming a variety of nutrient dense foods while staying within energy needs

-increase daily intake of foods from certain groups: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and foods with plenty of macro and micronutrients.

-choosing and preparing food with little salt, and consume potassium rich foods

-choose carbs wisely for good health, limiting intake of added sugars

etc. theres too many people that rely on supplements before considering these and other crucial areas of their lifestyle, like buying a gym membership instead of working out at home, increasing the efficiency of your workout routine, the list goes on.

supplements should be the last thing one adds to their game plan, after everything else is met.
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

yea the same kid i was telling you about, hes asking me all these questions about some new product called Beta-7 (which is featured on a website i told him to read...go figure he goes straight to the store instead of the articles) anyway, i swear to you no less than 30-60 mins and hes smoking a blunt ..im just in awe like why do you waste your fucking time? oh and he smokes cigarettes too

really it just boggles me, why dont people understand this shit is a full time gig, you dont turn into Arnold by going to the gym for 20 minutes, half-assing it on 3 shitty machines and then drinking your protein shake only to have some sort of junk food 1hr later (granted the person eats that frequent) and then goes out later that night to drink and smoke...no this isnt that, this is blood sweat and tears. it doesnt stop once you leave the gym, or rack the bar, you have to make sacrifices, i dont drink at all anymore, i rarely eat junk food, but i think all the light cream ive been drinking has been the source of some recent problems...but still its like a pyschological thing where they set themselves up for failure by subconsciously making these poor descions, then once they stop their "work outs" all theyll say is "well, if..."
    test
  18. LiveFromThe781

nah, fuck working out a gym, too much of hassle to get from here to there plus i like working at home, i feel it opens up my creativity and i dont have to deal with other people, although itd be nice to have a spot occasionally, but until i get a serious understudy, ill manage with dumbells chest presses and "stiff arm" squats

speaking of squats, i fucking love them, after like 2 sets i get a huge testosterone boost and feel like ripping someones fucking head off and then i just pace around my room while i count to 90 in my head to start another one...fucking awesome man.
    test
  19. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

You're listing elementary shit that most people who are serious about weight lifting already know and have already done! Cut salt and suger, up fruits, veggies, and whole grains.... And? That's your list of things that can be better spent on instead of supplements to achieve ones goals?? If someone's already got this in check, kick back those 5 grams of creatine!

You speak about supplements like there's a holy grail of food that you can buy instead to help build muscle and cut fat. There isn't. That's the whole, entire, obvious point of supplementation.

Every single time you want to down play and tell everyone they don't need supplements and yada yada. So your suggested alternative is fruits, potassium, and bread?? [funny]

I want to see a comparative study of what builds more muscle-bananas or creatine : )
    test
  20. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I'm still looking for a local dungeon-like gym. I don't want to work out at some pristine Windex scented fucking cardio club with a bunch of fucking wankers yakking on their phones in between sets of barbell curls in the squat rack.

So til' I find something hardcore locally, I pump up the volume and cut loose here. Bench, squat, olympic weight, medicine balls, dumbbells, pull up bar, saw horses, weight vests, etc. I've got everything I need really.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.