name what u consider 6 essential supplements besides protein...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Dahnamics, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J o o k

J o o k Guest

3 times a week.

any advice?
    test
  2. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Indefinitely?

That's a lot of cardio, a lot.

If you're looking to maintain or get a "hercules" physique, the only way I see you retaining that much muscle mass while running almost 20 miles a week is to up your calories. I'd be taking in an extra 1,000 calories a day on the running days. That's all I can think of.

With that much running you should be getting cut up some and the increased calories should help keep the muscle on.

That's the best I think you can too. It's a lot of cardio. I'd experiment with high calorie days, high carbs before and after running, that type of thing.

How much do you eat now?
    test
  3. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

id recommend doing interval sprinting as oppose to jogging, youre going to burn fat and build muscle instead of destroying it with prolonged jogs.
    test
  4. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

OK Steve, now you're getting tick tacky. So arginine increases something that increases NO production yet it doesn't work? That's like saying that people don't fix cars, screwdrivers and wrenches do.
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Yeah but to actually achieve the benefits of arginine you have to take extremely high doses like around 40 grams. And no one's taking in 40g of arginine.
    test
  6. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

3 cardio training a week is a lot!?

cardio is the most important exercise to maintain good health.

what are you training for if you dont do cardio? to just look good?

i do cardio 6 days a week, 3 of them with extreme intensity and i dont usually run, but i do the equivalent of wayyyy more than 20 miles a week. in fact mondays are almost 100% cardio days with very little strength training. and i did the same when i was gaining weight, and i gained faster than i ever did when i didnt do cardio.
    test
  7. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

So, what's your height and weight Ben?
    test
  8. Ben Official

5 8 155. right where i want to be at.
    test
  9. Ben Official

im not trying to be a hulk, its just not a good physique for what i do, i like to stay smaller but no too small, just enough to maintain my speed and explosiveness while maintaining good strength, and im right where i want to be.

when i said cardio is crucial for anyone, even weight gainers, i really meant it. if i wanted to go up to 160, 170, 180 whatever, i would still maintain the cardio

i used to be fucking 135, i was skinny as fuck.
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

anerobic > aerobic
    test
  11. Ben Official

test
  12. LiveFromThe781

how is destroying muscle more efficient than building it? i cant think of any activity where its optimal to have less muscle -aside from baking, sewing and the sort.
    test
  13. Ben Official

well they are both important...

anaerobic is important for the start of the exercise session and for high intensity workouts and activities lasting from like 10 secs to 2 minutes, generates a lot of ATP in a short period of time, also produces lactic acid so its good for sprinting and what not

aerobic is good for physical activity that last over about 2 minutes... running, swimming, etc. requires oxygen to generate ATP, cant produce energy as fast as anaerobic or the explosive energy system (fastest energy source) but provides energy during most daily activities.

you need aerobic exercise. during anaerobic exercise sessions carbs are the predominant fuel used for energy. fat utilization increases over time (aerobic exercises), more fit people use more fat as fuel because increased fitness allows people to do activities at lower intensities. they can also exercise longer before glycogen is depleted and muscles become fatigued. you also increase your vo2 max which is absolutely crucial for being fit..

thats just basic shit. but thats what i see as a couple advantages of aerobic exercise

so im not sure why your really comparing them or saying one is better than the other in the first place, they are both necessary, but for ones general health, aerobic is the most beneficial way of exercise.

why did you even say that? "anaerobic>aerobic"

so you think a person would be in better shape if they could bench 600 pounds than if they could complete the iron man?

you need all 3 energy systems when you exercise, im still confused why you would say that in the first place.

but if your comparing anaerobic and aerobic for everybody in general, aerobic is far more beneficial to ones health. its common knowledge. it reduces controllable risk factors the most, especially CVD, it influences blood fat levels in a positive way, and reduces the risk for some types of cancer, as well as diabetes and shit like osteoporosis. its better for everyones health than anaerobic but again, you need ALL 3 in your exercise or else your not "in shape" or "fit".

you need cardio. everybody needs cardio.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

no, thats the problem. im trying to shed light that you can do anerobic cardio. cardio is just an increase in VO2 levels, unfortunately most people dont realize there are much more beneficial ways to do cardio. the only problem is if you do too much low pace (aerobic) cardio you eat your muscles for fuel. besides, the person who brought up this thread wants a "Hercules figure" i dont think burnign muscle is going to help him make the goal achieved any faster.

i said "anerobic > aerobic" because it was late, and i kept typing stuff and erasing it, then got frustrated and summed up everything i was trying to say with that.
    test
  15. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

That's what I've read also. But I know by experience that arginine is helpful. It would give me better pumps during and after a workout, as well as better concentration during. I wasn't taking tons of it either. I still take it to this day, but I only take once every 2-3 days. I use it just as something to pick up my intensity. I think I take about 5 grams.

I don't know what those studies say. What I do know from plenty of reading studies is that you can word anything or selectively state information to make anything sound like what you want. I'm not going to read those studies, but if I did I could find plenty of "foul play". My bet is that they were done to expose stupid products that make far fetched claims like NOXplod, and Cell Tech type brands. You know, like "gain 20 pounds of muscle in 30 days".

From somebody who's been at this a while, I can honestly say that IMO, arginine works.
    test
  16. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

I take Whey protein, creatine, megamen vitamins, and fish oil.

Did somebody say that Fish Oil helps your mood? I take it and it hasn't helped mine much lol.....I only got it cuz the old lady at the GNC store got it for me for cheap. So I told her Id take it and to be real I think it helps your heart but I really dont know what the hell its supposed to do.

NOXplode helped me out a bit. Or perhaps it was all just psychological....iono. When I took it the stuff made me pump harder and I had A LOT more energy. But after taking creatine again I realized that it doesn't do anything more for me than creatine does.

Whey Protein works for me cuz I goto school full time and work full time and its kinda hard to eat 160grams of protein per day on my schedule. So I take that stuff.

Multivitamins are good cuz I dont eat green shit cuz its nasty and yeah yeah I know real food > multivitamin but fuck you scientists need to learn how to incorporate vitamins from veggies into burgers and shit.

Im just ranting now cuz im bored.....

Ummmm lets see. I dont run at all cuz I hate it and it sucks and since I get tired quickly and have no real reason to up my endurance. I ran a mile with my friend a few months back and felt like I was going to literally die afterwards. Ever since I was like fuck this.

I dont really do ab workouts cuz they hurt and they suck and I hate them and I have abs without doing situps and shit they just arent "rock chizzled" like other ppls but its ok cuz they are still there. And its an 8 pack so boom.

The end.
    test
  17. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Do you get an upset stomach from 5 grams? When I used to use NO-Xplode, if I took too much I'd get really fucked up stomach problems. That may have been due to the other numerous substances in it though.

I think most of the studies focused on arginine independently, and not on multi-compound formulas that had arginine in them. It may have some effect on pump, as when I used AAKG I did seem to get a more prolonged pump, I don't know if it was placebo effect or not.

I just think arginine doesn't need to be a staple supplement and people should certainly not spend their money on NO-Xplode or Xyience CG3 crap. It could possibly benefit one with a better pump if they have some extra money to spend on supps
    test
  18. LiveFromThe781

if youre gonna get creatine just get the pure creatine monohydrate fuck all that other shit.

fish oil is "supposed" to have numerous beneficial effects..although i havent noticed any directly and im taking 15-20 a day.
    test
  19. Dahnamics

Dahnamics Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

arginine gets my dick hard. that's about it.
    test
  20. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Beneficial effects from fish oil aren't something that will be noticed, and won't kick in immediately.

Fish oil's like the miracle pill
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.