Name a rapper in history whos put out more dope shit than Nas

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

every album from illmatic to Streets desciple went plat... how is he not a huge seller again?
    test
  2. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

if were talking about the rap battle Nas won. if were talking life in general Jay won.
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

SD was bad when u compare it to Nas other works. Blueprint 2 is bad when you compare it to AIDS, Jerry Sandusky, and Michael Jordan's baseball career.
    test
  4. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Freebass is saying that the album, as one, sold 500,000 copies, as in, thats how many people bought the album.
    test
  5. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

lmao......

but if you take bp2 and cut out the not great songs, you are left with like 12 or maybe 13 great songs...it should have never been a double disc.....neet the parents, the watcher 2, bitches and sisters, bp2, i had a dream, fallen soldier, diamonds, poppin tags, and others are great songs.....
    test
  6. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

also do ou think SD is better than BP2?.....The intro track is dope as hell on sd, as are a few others, but it reminds me of a typical nas album where it has a few great tracks but not good overall......
    test
  7. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

i have never heard the full album

everybody said the same shit you did so i cut it down to the tracks you mentioned plus a few others

double albums are almost always unnecessary

always filler and fat that could have been trimmed
    test
  8. tristen

tristen Armor of God.

word.
    test
  9. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

exactly there haven't been that many double albums that were needed.....they do it for a plaque sometimes, but it bugs me when it is obvious that there are enough good songs to make it a great great album.....it would have been an amazing follow to blueprint with the filler songs cut out, but i just skip some of them....meet the parents diamonds and bp2 are some of his best songs ever imo.....I hade a dream is one of the best written songs he has done, it didn't need the biggie verse but it was amazing anyways....
    test
  10. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

And why people hating on Hov's rap skills?

Nobody has ever heard of Reasonable Doubt?
    test
  11. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

why people hating on pac and nas rap skills?

never heard they albums?
    test
  12. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

illmatic took like 8 years to go platinum. SD didn't sell a million copies, untitled and hip hop is dead didn't either.....his biggest was stillmatic and at that time he was as big as ever.....he sold well i guess, but he never had more than one single that was high on the charts from the same album after iww
    test
  13. ThatsNotMyName

So Hov sold more albums and Hov was lyrical and still is...

"Smarten up Nas"
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

For fans who rate commercial appeal over skills, I just read a report today on Yahoo that stated that Life Is Good hit #1 on the Billboard charts... and that that is Nas' 5th #1 record over his career, which makes him the leading rapper with the most #1s over that time period between IWW and LIG...

So does that add to his legitimacy?

I don't get the hate over SD... it's a good album and one of the best of '04... I think it's better than Stillmatic, an album that many seem to overrate.
    test
  15. ThatsNotMyName

I don't judge commercial appeal over skills. Niggas just said that Nas "destroyed" Jay... and I wanna know how?

After that beef Jay's career just sky rocket even more.
    test
  16. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

People hate SD because they copy each other's opinions. They don't listen to it properly. For me, it was Nas at his peak in terms of flow. The album is so fuckin' cohesive and feels like a movie to me.

Yes, the second disc has a few fillers in the middle, but minus those it's still an album packed with 20+ songs of immense quality.

Shame.

And Stillmatic isn't my favourite but it's still fucking sick. I'd say 8.5-9/10. The beats are a bit too polished for Nas on that CD.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You can't really "end" a rapper's career with beef anymore... nowadays, it propels careers... and Jay Z was already a legend by the time they battled, so it was impossible for anybody to end him... but most fans do believe that Nas won the battle, so that's what they mean...
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I know Nas is not everybody's flavor... and I think it's because he's so mid '90s New York with his style... he doesn't use much inflection and in today's age of over-exaggerated inflections and highly conversational styles, many fans are not feeling him.

Nas is from that Rakim school of emceeing... Jay Z is from the Kane school, even down to his beat selection, which always had more R&B flavor than Nas

I think that's the biggest difference between the two.

Nas has always sounded better over highly syncopated and sparse beats, too... another thing that many commercial fans do not like... they prefer melody over rhythm... boomin' bass over obscure samples.

SD contained a Nas that was trying on different flavors and I think he succeeded more than he failed... it was just a few songs I really wasn't feeling... but then I realized the concept he was working on that album, too... and that made me appreciate it more.
    test
  19. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

think about it though

how many times has beef ruined careers

krs vs mc shan, ll vs canibus, 50 vs ja...

that's about it, and the last two happened because one was already much more popular than the other - ll was an established legend vs a young upstart and 50 was biggest thing out in years
    test
  20. ThatsNotMyName

Then Nas fans should stop saying Nas destroyed Jay.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.