My remix/cover of an EMINEM song. Feedback please?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by PoppinTags, Aug 13, 2013.

1. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

I picked this beat cause I simply felt that it complimented the verse best. Would love some feedback from fellow hip hop fans, since I'm new to this. Thanks guys!

• Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. Sin Skywalker

Sin Skywalker #184 Gladiator.

Not bad. Definitely got some potential. Think you could use a little more confidence to your voice but obviously that comes with time (you said you're new at this, right?) - how long you been spittin' for & where you from?
    test
  3. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

Been writing for quite some time. Rapping, not long at all. Yeah, the delivery needs work, that's what gets on my nerves most to be honest. Thanks for the feedback tho!
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

delivery gets on your nerves?....That's what rapping is, as much or more than writing.....
    test
  5. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

Oh, and I'm from Seattle.
    test
  6. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

No doubt, I understand, and completely agree to be honest. When I say, "gets on my nerves".. I mean, I struggle with delivery, more so than I do lyrics. So many rappers, put on a forced fake accent, that sounds good on records, but isn't true to who they really are. I guess I'm just trying to avoid that.
    test
  7. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

How do y'all feel about this one?

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

bro, rapping is frustrating, especially if you are a decent to good writer with little practice at actually spitting to a beat, and/or hearing your voice.....not sure who you mean by the forced and faked accent, but rapping is entertainment and rappers are extension of the characters which they are creating......the sound of your lyrics over a beat is beyond more important than the way your lyrics read, and that is why rap is a very hard thing to do well......your image should be an extension of you and you playing a character based upon yourself
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

Very good points, and definitely something for me to think about. I guess one rapper that came to mind, with regards to a forced accent, was Yelawolf (for whom I still like to be honest). Thanks for the honest criticism/advice. Probably some of the most useful stuff I ever heard, regarding rap.
    test
  10. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

no problem man, that is what i'm here for....keep posting up your progress with this stuff, and I am happy to critique and offer my thoughts for improvement.....It is part of what I do
    test
  11. Sin Skywalker

That was pretty dope, tbh.
    test
  12. PoppinTags

PoppinTags Member

Thanks man, would you say it was better? And if so, what about it? I've noticed that I get lost in my work, and begin to have trouble identifying what sounds/looks good... Ya know? I'm sure a lot of people have that problem.
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

over thinking is one of an artists worst enemies or sometimes best friends.....what do you mean by what looks good?....sounds good is a tricky one, cause u said u have been writing for a long time and I bet a lot of your rhymes sound good without music...at least to you.....

My advice here would be write with a purpose, like all of the random 4 bar-8 bar snippets that you have can be put towards an idea for a full song if/when you come up with a good idea for one.....it is about songs if you are taking this seriously, not just lyrics.....

Also try making beats, that helped me when I was rapping, and I eventually liked that more and got much much farther with that.....also learn some of the business side of things.....if you have any questions ask me, I dealt with the music biz stuff for a long time
    test
  14. Sin Skywalker

Sorry I missed this but yeah I like the second song better. Not sure exactly why technically I just felt it was better overall. Might just be a preference thing or whatever.

I'll listen again tomorrow after work and break them down more in depth if I get a minute though.
    test
  15. D-verse

D-verse No drama

hey didn't you get the memo I'm the white rapper kid in this forum. Go kick rocks.

Nah it was solid, your voice does sound similar to Em, and the meotion fitted the song. You do sound like you haven't rapper for ages, like you shall get better if you simply rap more.
    test
  16. D-verse

D-verse No drama

if forced "fake" accents sound good then they are the way to go. Athletes force and fake themselvers to go hard in competition, the end result matters.

Rapping and music is are spectacle, it's entertainment art, it's not hey this is how I am day to day, it's like an special extravagance version of a part of your life, or even something fictional, like movies.

Why is it forced, it's performing not forced. They are not recording a conversation but a song.
    test