My opinion on old school hip-hop (discuss)...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by .:Pain:., Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

First of all, I respect the old school, it's where the new school came from, so I can't do nothin' but respect it. With that said, I hate old school rappers. Producers are another story, I prefer old school production, but the rappers, just about every single one of them was overrated. They call them lyricists, when, I hate to say it, compared to rock music of the time, they sucked as lyricists. I understand they were trying to develop something different from all other previous genres, which is why I give them some slack, but to say that Rakim is one of the GOAT's when you don't consider influence as a factor is ridiculous. Commercial rappers right now are more lyrical than 99% of old school rappers. There was more emotion, but way less skill. While I do believe that had artists like Rakim come out in this generation, they'd be one of the best, they just can't compare skills with rappers like Nas and Slug. Anyone else feel this way?
    test
  2. youngflow

youngflow New Member

i dont think too many people will agree
    test
  3. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I would just link you to an old thread I posted in....but fuck it, I'll drop it again.

Rap is just like several other fields of entertainment...and for this example, I'll use Basketball and Video Games. With all three of these, they have evolved so much, that it is very hard and nearly impossible for youngsters to really enjoy and feel the old school legends in the same way that they do with what's modern, because these things have all become so much greater than they were back then.

For video games...I first grew up playing NES, meaning Tecmo Super Bowl, Mario, etc. Kids who are 8-10 now are playin Madden 2007 on PS2 and XBox360. So I can try to tell them how much I loved Tecmo Bowl and how dope it was...but when I plug it up for them to play, they would LAAAUGH and hate the hell out of it. They would say "WTF, you can't even spin? These graphics suck!! You can't tell who's who, they all look the same!! They barely touch em to tackle em!!!" and on and on...because they grew up on something that was so much better and more evolved.

For basketball...most of us here grew up in the Jordan era, and if not, it was somethin close. Therefore, we HATE watching games from the 50s and 60s, and we look at George Mikan and LAUGH after we see Shaq. Most of us at least appreciate him and understand that the game has evolved...but you just cannot compare the skill level of Mikan's day to what the NBA became in the 70's and 80's.

So with rap, it's all the same. Rap has evolved so fast, it is hard for people to love anything that came after their time. It is crazy because I have homeboys who are 19, and I am 21, but they have COMPLETELY different taste from me, solely because they are younger. Many youngsters hate anything from the 90's, and will laugh when we tell em that these artists were great. Most people under 20 don't even think Ice Cube is dope, and somebody who's 25-30 will want to slap them for sayin that.
    test
  4. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

I never liked old school hip-hop...but then again, I grew up in the nineties and it always sounded outdated and underwhelming...still to this day, I don't listen to anything before 1990...shit..barely before 1993-1994 when I first started listening to hip-hop.
    test
  5. The_K3

The_K3 ^Secksi^

i agree with u for the most part... but big daddy kane and a few other people started def spitting compound rhymes but yea... theres still a few people i think are good... nwa... run dmc was ok... public enemy etc.
    test
  6. Mr. Key

Mr. Key Heron and sex in one....

Rakim, Big Daddy Kane and most of the Old school artists shit on our current mainstream. Sure, alot of them are overrated, but thats what happens to the pioneers of any movement that has become successful. That doesnt take away from their impact and skill. Id take Rakim over Young Joc anyday.
    test
  7. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

It's strange, because I love oldies...old rock...easy listening/jazz...etc...but I can't listen to old school hip-hop...rap is my favorite genre too...listened to it most of my life.
    test
  8. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

im listening to "Straight Outta Compton" right now (1988) and shit is incredible, especially the production (wow Dre was soo fucking ahead of his time behind the boards on that album). But the lyricism also is fairly advanced, MUCH BETTER than 90% of what's out right now. I know what your saying generally about the old school and lyrical skill, but don't use Rakim or BDK as examples, Rakim is one of the greatest lyricists ever to this date.
    test
  9. THIEF

THIEF New Member

depends what you consider "old school"
    shit from the 80's i cant really fuck with aside from like.. Big Daddy Kane and about 2-3 other rappers. RUN DMC's sound never appealed to me so fuck them.
    90's rap though... >>>>>>>>>> anything from the 2000's, especially from around 92-96. u had some of the dopest shit come out in that time span

and lil wayne is pure trash.
    test
  10. mrdee

mrdee New Member

you cant compare 2 totally different era's thats like trying to compare shaq and wilt chamberlin or barry sanders and jim brown you cant do it
    test
  11. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

It's like classic sports comparisons. Different era. Different factors.
    You have to consider the era in which his career took place.

If you consider all things there's no way to argue that he's not one of the greatest to ever grab hold to a microphone. He revolutionized the way emcees rhymed.
    test
  12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

this pretty muchsums it up:
    yeah compared to nowadays old school rhymes sound well...old lol, but if you were alive when it came out it would of been fresh, mc's would of sounded new b/c you've never heard anything like it before. comparing now to then just doesnt work. what i do like about older rhymes is that they were more rhythmic. flow has gotten smoother so now some mc's sound like they are just talking on a beat where as on say a run dmc track the rhyme style had a definite flow you could pick up.
    test
  13. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I think the newer generation has way more wack rappers than the old school had... some of the "wack rappers" of the old school are better than what you guys call dope rappers of today.

If lyricism included delivery, which includes voice, than that would eliminate 80% of today's rappers because most of their voices suck ass.

Rakim sorta pioneered the era of "intricate wordplay," which is just ONE aspect of lyricism... but even during his time of the Golden Age, MCs still had passion, commanding vocal presence, and live stage shows... nowadays, rappers rely more on pyrotechnics and 100-member entourages to help them with their "punch-ins" instead of rocking the crowd alone or with just 1 DJ and 1 hype man.

So while rhyme scheme and musical production technology have advanced, it can be argued that true lyricism has declined...

Rappers are repeating boring, repetitive content with no imagination, with shitty voices... over over-produced beats, and no pure stage-rocking skills.

How is that better?
    test
  14. .:Pain:.

I'd rather watch a JB highlight reel than a Barry Sanders one.

What I'm saying is that rap is not proportionally good compared to older (80's rap to clarify) rap music, it's beyond that. Rakim's lyricism can't compare with that of Nas or Slug or Common etc. One of the greatest lyricists of all time? No, just one of the greatest from his. I'm saying pure lyricism, as in the words you write on page, nothing else...
    test
  15. mrdee

mrdee New Member

if thats the case 15 years from now you will be saying the same thing. ever heard of a thing called evolution?? 15 years from now hip hop will be different and the music "nas" had made during his career will be old and you have the same arguement. it doesnt matter if you would rather watch a jim brown highlight over a barry sanders highlight point is you cant compare the two all you can do is wonder how good jim brown would have been if he played today and vice versa for barry sanders.
    test
  16. .:Pain:.

^The music will change but I doubt it will get lyrically better. Rappers made corny songs with corny lyrics back then. I wouldn't even call them good songwriters. Then, things started evolving and people, who would've been poets or folk artists if hip-hop had never come around, became rappers. Rhyme schemes are better. Flows are better. The use of poetic devices is about a million times better. Illogic is a perfect example of the last part...
    test
  17. THIEF

THIEF New Member

lol@ comparing rakim to fuckin slug..
    white people are fuckin stupid smh
    test
  18. mrdee

mrdee New Member

well i dont know about you but im a 80's baby i have seen hip hop evolve from almost the beggining and if you think the lyricism has peaked then theree is no point in furthering this discussion
    test
  19. .:Pain:.

Why? Rock lyricism has peaked, actually, it peaked a long time ago and is now on a downward slope...
    test
  20. mrdee

mrdee New Member

i dont listen to rock but im pretty sure old rock does not sound like new rock
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.