My mind CAN'T understand why Blu & Exile aren't bigger!

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by ThatsNotMyName, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

BluandExile.jpg
    2 PERFECT albums. Perfect, period. And forget rap or hip-hop, this is amazing, gorgeous music, not great rap music, just great music. I geeked the fuck out when I heard Below The Heavens for the first time and also GMMFWICSST. Every track on both albums are 5/5.

I understand perfectly why lyrical rappers don't blow up, it needs to sound good, I can understand why Canibus won't be on MTV anytime soon, the public wants people that "sounds" good, or at least what's the preconceived notion of good music for them, they want people like Tyler, The Creator, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky. But Blu&Exile albums sound even better than the aforementioned's ones.

So why? Why aren't they on top 1 of the charts?

The only reason I can come up with is that people don't like mature rappers. They need their rappers to be some what childish or conflictive like Tyler or A$AP Ferg. And that's bullshit but that's the only reason I can come up with.

I don't follow Blu or Exile personally so I don't know if they plan on releasing a third album, BUT THEY NEED TO. A third album as good as the two first ones and I would gladly called them a GOAT duo, and so should you dudes.

Discuss.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  2. Ace the Prophet

Ace the Prophet A Prophet to the Game

Promotion and distribution are the keys to making it. Once you've got a perfect sound you need to know how to get it out there. For instance, Macklemore blew up mainly because of the fact that he got a dope ass distribution deal with a major label (I wanna say his album is distributed through Universal). He still has the full control over his music (since the label's only distributing it, not producing it and every other aspect) so he stays independent, but he has a deal that gets him all the distribution benefits of being on a major label (radio play, product placement in stores, etc). Plus it helped him being a part of the 2012 XXL Freshmen Class.

Blu needs a little more hype and promotion before he can get the distribution and exposure that'll help get him to a wider audience. No matter how good you are you need someone pushing you onto more people than you can by yourself
    test
  3. ThatsNotMyName

How did A$AP Rocky, Tyler, The Creator & Mac Miller blew without even a distribution deal? I'm almost sure the last two didn't have a distribution deal when they first started.
    test
  4. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

They didn't appeal to the machine/didn't sell out

BTH is classic! Def got me thru rough times. 2nd jawn had its moments
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. ThatsNotMyName

@thedream233 I'd love to hear what you think about this duo. Blu is like the thinking man's Childish Gambino, if I'm using that term correctly.
    test
  6. ThatsNotMyName

What was your fav track on the second album and your least favorite one?
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i wish blu could read this, i will tweet him this link.

first album was a fucking classic, and if you think otherwise you're deaf, first > second.

blu been my favourite rapper for years, a lot of people hate my top five list, but if blu is in it, it's solid as fuck.

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  8. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

You know you have to sell out to make it. Even kendrick couldnt make it without selling out and making a bunch of commercial records.

If your in the charts now the very high likely hood is that your a wack sell out.
    test
  9. Superman70

Superman70 edited

2nd album was not perfect. i think blu could have blown up but didnt care that much or something.

first album is in my all-time favorites though
    test
  10. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

They're great and vastly underrated
    test
  11. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

The 1st was nearly perfect. Hated Juice n Dranks almost as much as I hated Piece Talks. By the time the second one dropped in listenable quality (read 18months after it dropped in shitty quality), for some reason Blu thinks we like listening to him on unmastered tracks, his energy just seems off. To me the 2nd was way better than Juice n Dranks and all worse than the rest of BtH. they're not even near the same level as each other. And after all the lackluster EPs and Blu focusing so much on trying to become a producer. Every time I check for Blu I'm thinking let this be the old Blu. Also after working with Exile you would think he would be able to go up to practically any producer he wanted and instead he goes and jacks a bunch of Madlib beats for UCLA and releases them to us, unmastered of course and charges $15 for it. Plus though Ive never seen him perform I have heard some saddening things about some of his performances being either he was way to drunk/drugged to remember his lines. To me thats one of the biggest fuck you to my fans an artist can make. If your not going to show up to your own show ready to put everything you can into your verses then you shouldn't be performing at all.
    test
  12. ThatsNotMyName

Now I know you crazy.

Which albums are perfect for you, snowy?
    test
  13. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i got that feeling too.

he's versatile as fuck, and can sell the shit out of records if he wants to.

test
  14. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I love blu and exile... I've been bumpin them since 2007 when I first heard below the heavens. Honestly they probably haven't blown because they're just lost in a sea of hundreds of thousands of dope rappers that haven't blown up yet. thats just life.
    test
  15. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

this thread on the rm's front page.

good shit that'snotmyname.

deserves to be seen.

test
  16. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

front paged.
    test
  17. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i know.

that's why i said it was on the front page lol.

test
  18. ThatsNotMyName

damn, y'all got a nikka like 'whoa'.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

I thought you were asking for it to be on the front page lol - I put it up. (I didn't see it there already)
    test
  20. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

lol, no i was just stating that it had made the front page.

anyway, it's good that this thread is getting more exposure.

test