My internship @ Island Def Jam

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by *EnCoRe*, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *EnCoRe*

*EnCoRe* Shitty Ass Avatars!

Just giving some insight into what i've been doing so far there and how i got it etc. Basically posted because some dude who i cant remember insisted that internships where pointless and I'd be fetching coffee and cleaning bathrooms.... negative... i use the bathroom... and i know where the coffee machine is... thats about it.

How I got it – My aunt works for ABC news and awhile back did a special on Lionel Richie who is an artist signed to Island Records. I guess she met Laura Swanson who is Senior Vice President of Media & Artist Relations and kept in contact with her. My aunt knows about my passion for music so she forwarded my resume to her and BAM I got the internship the day of my interview. Only thing is that they KIND OF wanted me to do it for credit through my school… 1 my school is hella corny with a gang of pre-requisites I had to obtain… and 2 it cost way to much just to enroll in the class. I spoke with Laura’s assistant about it and I was still able to do my internship. I’m glad they still were able to look out for me.

What do I do – I work in the publicity department so my MAIN job it 2 work on these things called press-kits that are handed out daily to certain individuals around the company. Press-kits basically consists of pictures, newspaper articles, magazine articles, interviews, etc of the Island Def Jam artists so everyone is up to par with one is being stated in the media. I commute from CT to the City every Wednesday and Friday. You might think that’s crazy but I literally live 5 mins walking distance from the train station and all I do is hope on the express and im @ grand central in about 45 mins – 50 mins. Then I just take a shuttle over to 42nd street and Times Square.. and 1 subway stop on 50th and 8th ave which is right across the street from the office. Besides the press-kits, I run small errands from floor to floor. It helps because I meet a lot of people that way and sooner or later they remember me and can call on me if they need something done. And just for the record, I have yet to see anyone fetch coffee.

Perks – My 1st day I was there I got to attend the Rihanna and the Melissa Etheridge advance hearings of their albums. Both are solid in my opinion and im not even an avid listener of Melissa Etheridge… but damn from what I heard her stuff is on point. So far I’ve met LA Reid, an artist coming out soon named Lucy Walsh, and I saw Jazze Pha chillen there on Friday. I’ve only been there two days so far but I love it. I also get a ton of cds as well.

Lessons learned – Be nice and respectful. If someone ask you to do something, don't give an attitude and question it. They never ask you to do something outlandish and crazy, its just that they are so busy doing other important things that they cant run to the next floor to pick up a package. Get cool with all the other interns. Everyone is there for the same goal so why not be cool with them? Ive been there to days and ive already networked with a few of them and got all their numbers. I found a singer, an engineer, and another dude who produces who im probably gonna collab with. Everyone treats you with respect so just do the same if your ever in that position.

Hope that gives some kind of insight into what I do. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Peace
    test
  2. sdizzle

sdizzle sexy beat maker

would u get fired if u tried to give a beat cd to an artist there?

like i fjayz walked in and u gave him a cd would they be like.. um .. ur fired..
    test
  3. *EnCoRe*

lmao i have no idea man.... but i honestly have even been promoting that i make tracks to anyone of high positioning there... like the other interns know i do but its a business so like i dont think i could jus b like here take this. If i ever have the chance @ an event... then id def get contact info and go from there, but @ the office i just do my job and stay off the star-struck or pressing my beat-cd tip
    test
  4. .KeyNote.

.KeyNote. Guest

thats real shit man congrats...hope you get put on there

good read
    test
  5. I-ki

I-ki New Member

Sounds good... good luck with that.. hopefully you get to wherever you goin fam...
    test
  6. *EnCoRe*

Thank you i appreciate that. I really want homie who states hes an engineer and was constantly talking shit about internships to read this

*edit* - his name is Arcane
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

i was talking about studio internships, not ones at record companies, although you're still likely doing the shit that other people don't want to do
    test
  8. *EnCoRe*

honestly im not doing anything that is like OMG this is stupid... everything is done for a reason and helps those individuals who are way to busy to do em. I really dont care about the negative statements honestly because i personally know whats going on because im doing it. Good luck with the engineering stuff hope thats going well
    test
  9. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune