my hip-hopevolution, what's yours? ...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Nu'maaN, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... this is how it happened for me.

93. heard nas represent, fucking fell in love.

kept listening to the street music, 90's hip-hop was sublime.

it was all about that mafioso gangster persona, mobb, cnn, lox.

then slowly moved onto the darker subject matter, jedi mind tricks.

started to pay more attention to lyrics, for years i would just listen to tracks for lyrics.

nowadays it's just beats for me, mellow, kick back, laid back beats, mostly dilla and pete rock.

the older i get the more i can see myself not totally ditching hip-hop, but moving closer to jazz and soul.

:numaan:
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

The first album I heard was LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out". I didn't understood fully the lyrics but some lines, I think the thing was the beats, I just liked beats more than guitars or saxophones.

Then I'm almost sure I really wanted more and I moved on to the most talked about rappers. Greatest Hits & Eminem's Slim Shady LP. I liked Biggie's rhythm and music but he was harder to understand than Em (Em was hard to understand at sometimes too, I misread lines a lot of times), but mind you, I was a kid from Peru who didn't knew nothing about english slang or ebonics, plus I didn't knew nothing about songmeanings, boards or rapgenius.

Still I kept listening to that shit. I'm still listening and finding out new shit.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I grew up in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, which was a cultural pot of gold... so I was always around hip hop as a kid... I can't remember the first rap song I ever heard... it might've been Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" or Blondie's "Rapture" in '78 or '79 ... I didn't really become a FAN, like a hip hop head, until the 1st Golden Age exploded in the mid to late '80s with cats like Kane, Rakim, Slick Rick, Biz Markie, Stetsasonic, EPMD, etc... the first rap song that made me start writing raps and really gettin' into lyricism was The Beastie Boys' "The New Style" in '86... and then LL's "I'm Bad" in '87... before then, I was into break dancing in the early '80s when it started to become commercial... Newcleus' "Jam On It" was THE song to break and pop lock to... then you had all those movies like The Wild Style, Breakin' I & II, Beat Street... the '80s was a crazy time... had wild fun as a kid.... the "internet" was the BLOCK.
    test
  4. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Ayo Ignorant if you were from Bedford, at any time you met any rapper we might know of? Masta Ace, Mos Def, Biggie?
    test
  5. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

feel like i've told this a million times but...

started off a country fan. heard kid rock's devil without a cause in 98 or 99. listened to that a lot, but that was about it until Eminem show came out. heard that at a friends house, and ended up getting the censored version of it.
    i was 12 at this point i think.

around the same time my family got the musicchoice channel and i started listening to the rap one. heard Snoop Dogg from the chuuuch to the palace. ended up getting paid tha cost to be the boss as my first uncensored CD.

got the first two eminem CDs shortly after. got 50 cents get rich or die trying at the airport picking my cousins up from germany. became a shady fan boy and got everything shady/g unit.

from there, I got Game's cd and he became my favorite rapper for some time. started listening to DMX, Jay, Luda, TI, Nas.

around 2008, my friend showed me tech n9ne, Einstein. from there I got Tech's early stuff, and he became my favorite rapper quick.

i'm the only real hip hop head in my circle so i had to find a lot of stuff on my own, and thats why I dont really have much stuff from before 1999.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I met Lil Fame... but he's from Brownsville... most of the famous Brooklyn rappers are older than me and so they came up before me... cats like Mos and Talib are my age, but I never met them.
    test
  7. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

I first encountered hip hop around 5 with MC Hammer and Kriss Kross cassettes. But I was already programmed to listened to hip hop based off of my love of composer Yuzo Kashiro's music in Sega Genesis titles like Streets of Rage (heavily influenced by 90s boom bap and electronica/soul instrumentals). At this point I was only aware I what I enjoyed sonically.

I first heard lyricism in a way that properly introduced me to hip hop with Mos Def's song Ms Fatbooty. I encountered Mos again, playing videogames ironically enough with B Boy Document 99(one of my all time favorite songs still).

First album I could afford to buy was BTNHRessuection which I got as a Freshman in high school. At this point I knew I loved Bone Thugs and Mos and No Limit was just starting to get hot I think.

As a junior we got our first computer, so music came flooding in. In high school I was mostly into Gunit because Get Rich or Die Tryin was released. When I graduated I was a fiend for lyricism.

Little Brother -- The Listening
    Chino XL - I Told You So
    Common - Ressurection
    Canibus - Rip the Jacker

Shortly after someone told me the "Pump it Up Dude" actually spits real shit. That's when Joe Budden became my favorite rapper for a time.

2007 heard Popular Demand and anything Black Milk was a part of I wanted to hear it. Also, was really into Kanye until 808s and around then I started a hate campaign against the dude.

Was "that guy" (like that bitch I'm Technical) who never listened to the radio and was like fuck that shit I listen to real hip hop.

Then I got a marketing job, met one of my best friends there around 2010 and he would always play "ignant" music for entertainment sake. He would say "Yo bruh Rozay came out with this new song it's fuckin nuts" and I'd never open his links. Until he bought me Teflon Don and I was like holy shit this album is dope.

At that point I stopped blindly hating on mainstream artists.

Took me a while to hear So Far Gone. I heard "Say What's Real" and I knew Drake was gonna blow up.

Today I listen to what's hot. It takes me a lot of different places.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test