My good friend is trying to convert me to Buddhism

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by JASON ANTHONY, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

Not really.

I'm just ready for something different.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

you can be a buddhist christian

so maybe the word convert isnt a good one.

buddhism is more of a philosophy

and its great philosophy. Its all great.
    test
  3. JASON ANTHONY

That's the only reason I will listen.
    test
  4. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

different from Satan? you should want something different from that.
    test
  5. Alias3000

false idol worship is all Bhuddism is really. the Bhuddist God has done nothing in this world. name something.
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  7. JASON ANTHONY

I grew up in a Christian home and actually "gave my life to Christ" at one point.

I never felt any connection. I never felt better. I never felt purpose.

tbh honest I felt bitterness.

Christianity is an ancient mind fuck that was put in place to scare the uneducated into subservience. Times have changed. I refuse to let some pastor preach damnation to me. I'm a grown man. It's just fucking silly.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

shemalias just likes to troll
    test
  9. Alias3000

You ever thought that when you gave your life to Christ, that all the evil spirits still around you(family members) is what made you feel uncomfortable and bitter?

it happens a lot. Jesus himself was uncomfortable. he felt bitter too. so did I.

but my bitterness was towards the lies I was told growing up. not towards Christ.

the lousy ass church I went to didn't even let me know that a man named Lazarus was in the Bible and that Jesus made him rise up and walk....I didn't learn that until I turned 21 outdside church from a street preacher..damn shame...just goes to show you the real mindfuck churches and jackleg preachers put on us as a whole.
    test
  10. Alias3000

don't make me battle you and force you to change your alias. I got some good smilies for "Bustalot"...so watch your step..
    test
  11. JASON ANTHONY

For once I agree with you.
    test
  12. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i flirted with it briefly... never really expecting to have any supernatural revelations or anything but thinking just like you that their way of life could be intriguing.

what drew me in about it was the strong emphasis on the cultivation of the mind. it was presented to me (in a particularly cold and westernized form) as a way to discipline yourself towards present moment awareness.

the reason why i let go of it was ultimately because
    1) i'm not a very good meditator. i can sit there and try to focus on my breathing but eventually i get bored and start thinking about something else out of sheer compulsion. sometimes even start thinking about ways not to think about stuff.
    2) i didn't care for certain aspects of the philosophy that regarded the sensual world as something superficial that one must detach themselves from to travel inward. when i take time to consider the inner world is just my brain and the sensual world is my brain actually being put to work on sensory data which is what it's made to do... well i just don't really see the point.

i've basically adopted a personal morality and philosophy that revolves more around appreciating the world as is and developing a genuine lust for life, which i think suits me better and which i quite honestly enjoy more than reserved buddhist type stance. i still meditate from time to time just to clear my mind and regenerate. it really is effective in that sense. but other than that i couldn't manage to mingle this eastern culture and philosophy with my western life and ways of thinking. some interesting stuff in it, though.
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Question. When u 'gave ur life to christ did u really hand it over to him. And give to ur will and wants for his will and what he wants for your life? Did u ever really hand over the reigns and let him steer the horse or did u see it as becoming a passanger on your course.?
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Thats partially an issue. Sounds to me u had faith to try something but didnt have the faith that it coukd actually BE true, or the faith to believe what hes told u he WOULD do. That eould be outting a limitation on God, indirectly calling. Him a liar.
    test
  15. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

faith has nothing to do with it. i wasn't going to put my faith into a man who is rumored to have existed in india a few thousand years ago. it had more to do with effort and discipline than it did faith. thats the only reason i gave it a shot.

i was willing to dedicate time and effort to a craft if it was to pay off in the end, but ultimately i decided it wasn't for me cause of a conflict with some of the underlying philosophy which i had previously been ignorant towards.

my leap of faith lies simply in the assumption that if there is a god i dont think he wants to punish me.
    test
  16. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

and did you seriously just equate me rejecting buddhism to calling god a liar?
    test
  17. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

buddha was/is no god

he is a man who found inner peace and enlightenment.

and his teachings are there to hopefully help other people do the same. He never said you cant find it in other religions. A lot of the goodness philosophy he taught is taught in all religions. They all have the same message. Be good to yourself. But hes never once said that the only way is buddhism
    test
  18. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

What did Buddha find enlightenment through ? Or what was the enlightenment ?
    test
  19. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Non-attachment, liberation from suffering, blah blah

Don't care for it.

It is more progressive than Christianity, but I don't care for it at all.

It denies the positive aspects of suffering. The importance of living a life of attachments and embracing suffering as a force for character building. It bows out to this world instead of encouraging you to jump right in.

Jason

I recommend reading up on Taoism instead.
    test
  20. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

well said.

it is basically christianity without the god. harmless but fruitless.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.