my bad one more mic question

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by YoungWon, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungWon

YoungWon forwords to be forwarned

th at 2035 the e-mu 1212 n dbx 286a

or since alot of the audio interfaces come with a pre amp just spend more on them to and get

blue bird cardiod condenser ( 300 one not 1000 one) and e-mu 0404 or presonued firebox firewire rcording studio

or switch the blue bird with a MXL V69 Mogami Edition Tube Microphone
    or rode nl1000 or rode s1 /.....

or drop down to just the e-mu 1212 n shure sm7b

my bad bout all the questions
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Man don't sweat the questions.. Trust me it makes my work go by much faster.. so no worries.. I answer every question I can since back in the day I wished there was someone that would have done the same for me..

I like to do it backwards.. so let me eliminate choices here and explain why..

I would first eliminate the blue bird / 0404 idea.. The bluebird is a very tough mic to use on vocals.. it's not very often preffered for vocals.. now.. soleternity will disagree with me here.. I saw a video where he used it a lot and apparently has gotten some great results.. it used to be offered with a focusrite pre-amp as a prematched pair.. I think it works well for him because it's a good combo.. I bought the blue bird and spent an hour talking guitarcenter into taking it back.. not that you can't get good vocals from it.. but it's way less than ideal.. so personally I would scratch that..

I think I would eliminate the rode nt1a and I would eliminate the mxl.. simply because both the 2035 and the sm7b are both very likely to perform better than the mxl and the rode..

now.. the remaining scenario is an interesting one.. Tough choice.. this is where it would be really, really nice if you could try them out on your voice.. Is there anywhere you could do that? A lot of high end stores will usually let you try before you buy..

I think if I had to choose without trying.. the safe bet would be the sm7b and 1212 heads up if you do get the smb7.. it's not a side address mic.. meaning you speak or sing into the top of it like a regular hand held mic..

I've heard stories of people taking them back to the store not understanding why they sounded bad only to find out that they were singing into the side of it like a condensor side address mic.
    test
  3. YoungWon

yea ima stop at a few differant places n try them out to make the final decision

but i just want a firm idea of what directions i want to head

causei was lookin at the sm7b n it seemed like the mic for me .....reviews say its adark type mic not reeally silky..more for gritty voices...which is what i would think my vopice would classify as

....i can prolly spend like 550 which means if i get the sm7 i have another 200 to play with

i could get a stock b e-mu 1212 n the 100 dollar pre sonus we said before

or the sm7b n a more expensive sound card like the 0404

or just stick with the 7b ...1212 n have some money left over...n in a month or so go n grab the dbx289 ( but if the quality aint half bad keep saving)

i like the 0404 cause its usb....i dont really have a clue how the 1212 is gonna work...is it gone be installed n just the iinput outputs are gonna show ...hole thing inside the comp
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

man stay away from usb.. wipe the idea from your brain if you ask me.. the 1212 is a pci card.. you have to crack open your computer and install it.. but it's simple.. all you have to do is plug it in an available pci slot inside your pc and then plug it in with one of the supplied aux power wires coming out of the power supply. If you're not comfortable doing that I'm sure it would cost you maybe 10-20 bucs to have someone else do it.. at any rate I'm sure it won't be a problem.. and you'd get better results.. the ins and outs would be right on the back of your pc just like a stock soundcard.

if you go usb then you gain convenience but loose quality.
    test
  5. YoungWon

* came in n my post wasn't here re rote it...but thats the question i came in to edit into my original post ...

* edit you asnwered it about the usb 0404
    test
  6. YoungWon

Cakewalk SONAR LE - Audio/MIDI Production
    SONAR LE is production environment for Windows that provides musicians with a host of potent features that include: 64 audio and 256 MIDI tracks; 24-bit/192kHz recording support; 14 studio quality real-time effects and 6 MIDI effects; audio loop construction tools; dynamic console view; multi-port graphical drum grid editor; multitrack piano roll view; staff notation; ReWire 2.0 support; DirectX/DXi and VST/VSTi support; MIDI clock and MTC slave; Cyclone DXi groove sampler; Audio Simulation's Dreamstation soft synth DXi; and more. Registered owners of SONAR LE will be able to upgrade to the full version of SONAR Studio Edition for a special price

Steinberg Cubase LE - Audio/MIDI Production
    Cubase LE is a powerful music software workstation that offers: 48 audio and 64 MIDI tracks; 24-bit/192kHz professional audio quality; a full set of audio effects plug-ins; LM-7, VB-1 and USM virtual instruments; and MTC, MIDI-clock and VST System Link support. Steinberg offers all registered Cubase LE customers to purchase the virtual instruments set (SE versions) at a special price, and Cubase LE is upgradeable to Cubase SX/SL

Ableton Live Lite 4 for E-MU Systems (demo)
    Ableton Live is the music-production solution that allows you to spontaneously compose, record, remix, improvise and edit your musical ideas. Live brings your acoustic, electronic and virtual instruments, as well as your digital audio recordings, together in a single interface with unparalleled ease of use. Live's specialty is composition by improvisation. Record musical ideas, combine or create new songs, and compose on the fly, and offers complete multitrack recording and editing for any acoustic source, hardware synthesizer or software instrument. Ableton Live Lite 4 for E-MU is demo software only

the multi tracks the e-mu comes with...reading it it doesn't really say which one cakewalk n cubas are just le..not 1 or 2 ect ect

does have alot of nice plug ins though
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

I think you're confusing the 0404 w/ the 0202.. the 0202 is the usb one that comes with some pretty stock pre's.. but.. if you get the sm7b you don't have to have phantom power and you don't have to have a pre.. you can go direct in to the emu with that one..

the 1212 and the 0404 are both pci cards.. which is good.. remember.. stay away from usb..

I would go with the 1212 and the sm7b.. but if you're really a gear head like me... you'll eventually want to save up for a really nice condenser mic and really good pre.. but the truth of the matter is.. most of the pre's under $500 are pretty bad.. so you're talking a couple stacks on the pre.. and a stack or more on the mic.. so consider how long it will take you to accomplish that.. the 1212 and the sm7 will get you there.. guarantee it..
    test
  8. Mr. ROUSH

"LE" refers to "lite edition".. which just means it only has some of the features that normally come with the full version.. all three of those you mentioned are lite editions.. that's why you're not finding a stereo imager or a limiter.. You'd have more to work with if you just got adobe audition free.. search limewire for it.. or use a torrent.. it's super easy to get.. also get audacity.. it's actually free.. and pretty usefull.. you don't have to stick to one.. you can import and export back and fourth to take advantage of all the effects.. but you'll want your main DAW to be a full version.. If I were you I would save up for an mbox and pro tools.. trust me.. you will end up wanting to at some point.. at any rate.. audition would be just fine.. and the emu really is impressive in the price range..

There's a great DSP engine setup with the emu card that comes with the "patchmix" software.. what this means is that the 1212 has some on board processing that can be added to the front end (delays, reverbs, filters, etc).... I used that a lot when I had my emu..
    test
  9. YoungWon

test
  10. Mr. ROUSH

Man it's been a while let me think.. ok.. two things you can do.. 1. as I recall it used to be under the effects tab at the top.. it may not have been a real time effect.. you might actually have to apply it to the track.. I believe it was under.. "hard limiting" something to that effect.. I would look, but the pc I have Audition on blew the power supply.. at any rate.. at the very least upgrade to adobe audition.. just in case you don't already know.. adobe bought cool edit.. and now it's audition.. you can get it free in multiple ways.. so I would do that.. and you'll be taking a step up with your effects..

2. all a limiter is.. is a compressor with a high ratio.. so.. use a compressor with a ratio of 10:1 or higher and it will do the same thing.. mess with the attack release and threshold.. NO GAIN.. hard limit the whole file between .04 and .05db .. wala! limiter
    test
  11. YoungWon

ooo hard limiting.. i already use that

it kocks down all the waves over watever you put in making it not as sketchy
    test
  12. Mr. ROUSH

That is a limiter.. you only want to use that at the end of your mastering chain as a general rule.. in the mix just use a compressor to tame the transients.. don't limit them until the mastering stage. Good luck.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.