My 1989 Civic Hatchback...

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by MadVillain413, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Test drove it last Saturday, and it's in real good shap. Just one tiny dent I can punch out on the passenger side, new brakes, new clutch, 50,400 miles, clarion cd/tape/fm receiver, 4spd manual transmission, no rust, this lady is giving me a set of touring summer tires and it comes with blizac's. All for a mere 1,500 bills. I'm gonna get it at the beginning of next month and I thought I'd drop my plans for performance and get some suggestions from you import addicts...

Performance:

DC SPORTS dac cold air intake
    DC SPORTS chrome headers
    DC SPORTS catback exhaust
    aftermarket cadilatic converter

Suspension / Handling

Neuspeed coil-overs
    DC SPORTS tower bar

In Car Entertainment

Comes with a real decent Clarion cd/tape/AMFM reciever, depending on weither it will play MP3 discs, I might keep it. I held off on throwing my JL's into my Accord for this very reason, so those will be going in and powered by an 800 watt Kenwood amplifier. I'll probably swap out the two front door speakers for some high end alpines, and those will be givin' life through a 250 watt Pioneer amplifier running my head unit.

Exterior modifications:

I'm happy with the way it's looking now, might throw some inexpensive decent looking alloys on there, but I'm holding off on wheels / body kit until the spring of 2005. I was thinking about a tail light conversion, so let me know if any of you have some good ideas.

peace
    test
  2. Koan-Trakx

Koan-Trakx New Member

y on a 89 hatchback would u do all that... i dont get it.. but hey wut ever rocks ur boat.. post some pics if u ever get this done.. px
    test
  3. It's actualy nothing when u think about it...I know people who've done an engine swap with one of those old hatchs...that's way out of control. I'm just at the time where the money is right to dive into a project like this...
    test
  4. trifle

trifle New Member

huh?
    test
  5. Koan-Trakx

Koan-Trakx New Member

naw i was mainly focusing on these options on that hatch

Performance:

DC SPORTS dac cold air intake
    DC SPORTS chrome headers
    DC SPORTS catback exhaust
    aftermarket cadilatic converter

i'd save that shit for another ride.. seriously.

[​IMG]

found this pic real quick.. i dunno just to me.. hookin up a older car doesnt look right.. unless u just go for the engine.. but GL.. i'm out px
    test
  6. trifle

trifle New Member

I'm sure that I can and will be quickly corrected on here, but I really don't see the point in doing performance on an 89 hatch unless doing an engine swap or maybe rebuild (not sure on rebuild???)...I mean what are you going to gain, 30 hp MAX??? so you'll have you a nice lil 122hp at the crank "street racer" (my figures could be off, just a guess)
    test
  7. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Yep correct. Hooking up a base Civic engine is just like throwing your money into a pit. No reason, cause for the amount of hp gained from those four mods against the money you are spending makes no sense. Either swap it out, or save your money.

I am guessing this is your first car. If so, then I understand throwing some money at it, trying to create a nice car for yourself. But you have to look at the whole picture in a long run. It is a 15yrs old and the body is not going to stay in tact forever. The engine already is decreasing within its performance.... makes no sense to hook up, UNLESS this is a project drag car. Then it would make sense. But no need for a kit or wheels.
    test
  8. Basicaly where I live the roads scream for a rally car. I'm trying to turn a civic H-Back into one of these...I'll probably skip the wheels and go for some high quality performance tires...
    test
  9. Tigre

Rally car, then you have the wrong car all together, maybe want a AWD car then.
    Since you said rally as well, what you live on some dirt roads? Or do you mean like a closed road course, like auto-x? If so you can buiild your car to be a little handling machine. Enter some into the SCCA and race your car on a track.... I doubt you will win, but you will definitely increase your driving ability. I think all ppl should try it. Fun as hell and the best way to learn about your abilities as well as your car abilities.
    test
  10. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

eh.. clean hatchback... my buddy just swapped a K20 into his...
    test
  11. so the best way to increase HP would be to do a direct engine swap with the 130 1.6 sohc? That would definatly make this car faster, but I'm trying to avoid labor costs on the actual engine swap, and yeah most of the roads around my area are windy mountain roads...
    test
  12. Koan-Trakx

Koan-Trakx New Member

I Wonder About How Much Labor It Would Be To Get An Engine Swap
    test
  13. Tigre

It isn't much, although, I never pay for the shit since my friends and I would mostly do the work. But shit since it is a honda, there has to be plenty of ppl around the way that can give you an estimate on how much a simple swap would cost. Definitely will not cost alot. Know of any mechanics?
    test
  14. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

under a grand....
    test
  15. Yeah my boy run's a garage close by in town that deals with mostly forigne cars, and he's a genius with re-builds, and swaps, basicaly anything I could think of and he wouldn't try to rip me off either, my family's known him for years...
    test
  16. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

lucky bastard
    test
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

Ewww... not my cup of tea, but if you want to make this all go, it's definately possible. I'de put a Teg engine in it, then that boy will pull niceley (for what it is). If you really wanna go bonkers, a GS-R engine with BPU would be nice.
    test
  18. JuJewBea

JuJewBea why me?

nice car....
    test
  19. Actualy the old integera engines in the 90-93's make perfect swap material...I'm doing research on those and possibly a 2.0 SI Prelude engine.
    test
  20. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

AHHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My first car was a '93 Civic Hatchback, I hated it. But good luck. BTW, I bought mine, great condition, Civic CX w/ like 70k for $3,000.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.