Musical Youth Unsung On TV One

Discussion in 'Reggae Bashment' started by Crates, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Lookout for this. I saw this last week on TV One.

[youtube]ySeHFUCqcKU[/youtube]
    test
  2. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I had no idea that Musical Youth were the first Black artist to have their video shown on MTV. That was a big deal at the time because when MTV first came on they didn't won't to show any Black artist or music.

These kids could come with some good Reggae. Keep in mind they're playing all the instruments.

[youtube]iujBGonNHik[/youtube]
    test
  3. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

nah I didnt realise that either Crates, nice drops dude, thanks
    test
  4. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

^
    Did you get a chance to catch their Unsung story on TV One?

After seeing their story I think it would have been better if those kids could have signed to a more Reggae oriented label instead of MCA. MCA being an American label wanted to cross them over by changing up their sound too much on their second album. I can kinda understand that because I think their label realized that in America Reggae has alwaysed had a more niche fan base. So outside of Pass The Dutchie their other songs would appeal more to core Reggae fans who are smaller in America. I mean you mainly hear roots Reggae on college radio in America and not much beyond that. Anyway a more Reggae oriented label would have known how to better market them as a Reggae band and put less emphasis on crossing them over.
    test
  5. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

nah dude I confess I dont watch much stuff online, I thought TV One was an American tv channel - I rolled my eyes when I saw your first post lmao
    so far I just saw what you posted - as I said I didn't know that much about them, was really only familier with 'Pass the Dutchie'
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.