Muscles important for jump shots

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R-Tistic, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

When shooting jump shots, what muscles are most important? I have heard a few people say legs...and even though I can see that they are important, I definitely don't see how they could be the most important.

I would think that the shoulders and triceps are the main muscles that you need to train in order to shoot a further jump shot...but when I feel on what muscles contract when I practice my form or whatever, it seems hard to identify what muscles are doing most of the work...especailly since your shoulders are bent, and you are basically doing a "fling" of your arm from bending your elbow.
    test
  2. GammoN

GammoN Sole Survivor of the DOJO

Legs are the most important muscle in a jump shot..you get the momentum from your legs..that ahd your triceps..just train your triceps with push-movement exercises..
    test
  3. Big Glenn

Big Glenn New Member

yes the legs are by far the most important in a jump shot. Its where all of ur explosion comes from. U tricep wont need work because how heavy is a ball? U triceps are strong enough to straighten at the elbow with a ball in ur hand.... its ur wrist flexors that may need strengthening. The flicking of the wrist is key in a jump shot and the stronger ur wrist is the easier it will be to shoot from deep. BUT, dont spend a good majority of ur time training ur wrist flexors.... its cool to add a few lil lifts in for them but i wouldnt harp on it. Focus on athletic lifts that focus on building up the nurolgical pathways..... Cleans, Squats, Snatches, Power Preses... things of this nature will propell ur game.
    test
  4. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

I see what you're saying. Triceps would defintaely matter. Some heavy skull crushers would be great. You have to do them explosively though. Basically contract as fast as possible. Use a cable machine if possible. I would also use some resistance bands. Anything to basically speed up the extension of your arm.

He's saying more for shooting from further out.
    test
  5. R-Tistic

^^Damm...yeah, to Big Glenn, that makes sense, but I think it might be more triceps or something for further jump shots. I can shoot a jump shot from about 12-15 feet, but I have to change my form up to shoot anything past that, so I figured it had to be something. It just seems weird because it's hard to figure out what muscles are doing the most, because the flick of the wrist that Glenn mentions seems to be the main thing that pushes the ball.
    test
  6. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Shoulders? abs? legs? glutinous maximus? who gives a fuck?

lol, you don't need muscles for shooting jump shots silly. Well you do.. but I'm quite sure you obtain an adequate amount. AI is not a muscle bound freak, Shaq might be, but you nor I should even bother looking up his free throw percentage or fg percentages for shots more than 10 feet from the hoop.

As a 3rd grader I could amass enough power to shoot from your everyday street ball court from beyond the arc, although not accurately.

So, If you asking the question you either you posses the strength inferior to that of a 9 year old boy or your form is more atrocious than Shawn Marion in a 3 point shooting contest.

Your muscles aren't the problem. JJ Reddick didn't improve his jump shot by working on his hamstring development.

I know you were asking what muscles were important, but when I looked at teh bigger picture it read.. How can I improve my jump shot for some reason relating to muscle. Maybe you find it hard to shoot from a distance and can't seem to hit the rim from down range? Maybe you muscles get fatigued after a certain amount of shots? I don't know.

It's not your muscles so something is obviously wrong with your form or your way of thinking. AI didn't start drain 3's from the get go, his development from his inside game allowed him to make shots like that and throughout time his range got greater and greater. You might be taking shots way out your league? it maybe be a power imbalance? not using enough momentum from the power you generate from your legs in your shot. Whatever the case may be I suggest you buy some "better basketball" dvds or some shit..Watch and learn then go out and practice your j until thats MUSCLE MEMORY.

Benching 500 pounds is not going help you shoot from half court if you already have the power to do so, it's just going to help you shatter the backboard in about a thousand pieces if you even get lucky enough to hit it.

All you muscles are important, pretty much, it's just the transfer of energy and your motor skills and hand/eye coordination that favors you in the long run.
    test
  7. R-Tistic

^^I would figure that it has to be muscles....for one, I could not shoot a free throw with a typical form until 8th or 9th grade, because I wasn't strong enough before that. Now, I can shoot a J with regular form from 12-15 feet as I said earlier, but beyond that, the ball just doesn't reach the rim from that form....so I have to use a different form whenever I shoot it that far. You said that you could shoot threes or whatever at nine...but most nine year olds have that same form, which is not a jump shot at all. I just want to be able to shoot a three from NBA range, and about 3-4 feet behind...nothing major. If I just throw the ball, I can shoot from half court...and I've made about 5-6 in my life.
    test
  8. macmilimeterhyms

macmilimeterhyms Product of the 80s

I never made it from half court but my boy sunk one in nothing but net recently and I made an amazing out-of-court shot

jumpshots take coordination and mediocre strength, work on all your muscles or you will become off balance
    test
  9. Wigger Walter

Wigger Walter New Member

lmao @ this fuckin retards writin novels, it doesn't take that long to answer it that means yall fags are wrong

Muscles Used:

1. Shoulders
    2. Legs
    - A lil' bit of Biceps and Triceps
    test
  10. I AM ASIJAH

I AM ASIJAH g.o.d.

push press would develop all the muscles needed for a jump shot and it will improve your vertical jump aswell......if you start by having open palms on the barbell it may help you use more leg in the movement because people have a tendency to use only shoulders on this when its a full body exercise...its a explosive movement and is not meant to be done slow...slower means less weight...the faster you are the stronger you will be at it...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/PushPress.html

your jump shot technique is more important though so dont slack on that...

do low back and ab work aswell...people overlook that area...the core of your body transfers your power...imagine having a pillow between your lowerbody and upper body you would not transfer any power....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.