Mpc

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by MC Dystinkt, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

now is the time for true engineers to tell me about something that I at this time don't know shit about.... an MPC.. what exactly is it ( a sampler, yes ) and what does it do (how is it better than producing beats on a computer). Does it just make the job easier? Get into detail... thanks alot

one
    test
  2. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

i dont see why you would pay 2000 dollars for something that can be done on the computer
    a computer is the ultimate sequencer, chopper, etc... you just need to know how to use it and have the right programs
    test
  3. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ then don't reply, turn around, and realize that you're ultimately wrong.

first of all, i don't know why you'd be paying 2000$ for a brand new MPC, unless you're including the EB16 effects card, the effects rack, the memory upgrade, harddrive, zipdisk, and 8 output expansion.

the thing about beats made on the computer, their completely lifeless. they sound too programmed, nothing to it.

Akai's MPCs obviously are used for a reason, and the reason is that every single owner puts it before their loved ones. it's that dope. (stops being vague.)

the way an MPC works, is that you take your sample, (from vinyl, cd, tape, anything you can possibly put into the input,) and assign it to one of the pad's. the 2000 has 4 soundbanks (when the pads are full, you switch soundbanks,) while the 2000XL has 6. on the MPC itself, you can edit your samples, chop your samples, tweak the sound, and actually PLAY them, not "insert," them.

once you have everything loaded that you want in your song, this is where you arrainge them. there is up to 99 different sequences, ranging from 1-32 bars per sequence. to record, you simply record and bang out your song. you can start by adding the sample into the sequence, then drums; or the hi-hat >> snare >> bass >> sample. however suits you.

beyond how to work it, it just has a great feel. i'm not going to give any of my secrets away, but the possibilities are endless. with the 8-output expansion board, you're able to assign an output to a specific pad. so for example, if you happned to want EQ'ing for your hi-hat, then add compression on the snares, you would assign each sound to a pad. then play the sequence through your mixer/whatever into what you record on, and then further edit the sounds. or take the long way, and record each sample seperately then put it together.

the thing is, the MPC is like an instrument. you need a sense of rythem to use it, a sense of music, and hand-eye coordination among other things. it helps being able to DJ as well.

more questions, ask 'em.
    test
  4. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

not my words.... but heres somebody elses slant on it:-

I like the portability and durability of the MPC's. Well, software can be durable in CDROM format, but the computer that uses it necessarily isn't.

The MPC is also designed to handle 120F stage lights and high humidity environments. Computers are not. Even though the MPC is a `specialized computer`, performance gear in general is better at handling, gigging and other unfriendly environments.

Cost is a consideration. A computer with software and additional hardware accessories to perform stuff as easily and effortlessly as an MPC will cost you at least as much as an MPC. Please don't say, `I already have a computer, so I won't count the cost of that`. That's like saying it will only cost you $50 for a few records to be a DJ and neglecting the cost of a turntables.

Resale value. I know we do not buy gear knowing that we will sell it at a later date. But if you ever decide that it is not for you, guess which item you can get more of your cost back out of it if you do ever sell. Today, you cannot give away a computer (or software) that was made in 1987, however, you can fetch anywhere from $700 to $1200 for even a beat up MPC60 from the same year. Same story for the rest of the MPC series. They have a good way of holding on to a very good resale value even as Akai releases newer and better models. I know not know of another manufacturer's product that has this luxury. This, BTW, was the reason Akai re-released the MPC3000. Akai looked around and saw the 2nd prices of the original MPC3000's and thought, jeez way don't we just re-release this thing and tap into this hot market.

Ease of use. I have tried out of the software packages but have been mesmerized by the amount of fluff that has been packed into it. Almost enough to make you forget why you are using the software in the first place. The more advanced the software, the longer it takes to learn and the longer it takes to get the simplest of tasks done.

Lastly, and probably the most important, is the interface. Software does not have pads, dials, buttons and an NV slider, but it goes far beyond this. There is something about the immediate instant gratification that an MPC delivers that software can't. Notes are easily entered, samples easily trimmed, quick boot-up time, parameters easily changed and editing quickly performed. The only maintenance required is a occasional OS update (about twice a year) that takes about 2 minutes to complete. I do not even want to into detail about maintenance and updates required by the computer and software. I would also mention that while software based production has much nicer visual interface than an MPC, this can still be a curse. Music is meant to be heard, not seen. I hear too much music that sounds like it was painted by numbers on a computer screen instead of being listened to as it was made, like you are forced to do on an MPC.

You will likely find that software or an MPC will assist you in making your final product (a track) equally well, but half the fun is getting there. If I cannot use something that I enjoy to help me down that road, why even bother?
    test
  5. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

I personally use an mpc & prefer it to using a PC for production simply because of the hands on aspect of it & the portability...

My suggestion is that you get a 2nd hand mpc 2000xl & try it out, if you dont like it I garuntee you'll be able to sell it for the same price you baught it for
    test
  6. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ probably more.
    test
  7. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

^^ thanks to everybody I got a better idea now.... ill hit this producer's house ask him to show me how to use it and shit if i like it ill cop it

one
    test
  8. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

p.s. Milo, when you said "the thing about beats made on the computer, their completely lifeless. they sound too programmed, nothing to it" I disagree a little... the only thing about making beats on the computer is that usually drums are fucking hard to do, they sound plastic usually and shit......... so i got one question

what if I got a drum machine (cuz they are cheaper than an mpc obviously) ? which one would you recommend and shit?

one
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

if you learned how to manipulate your sequencers on your PC you would find out that there is nothing you can do on an MPC that you cant do on a pc......

if your complaining about the programming....then its your fault....you should be able to utilize the ability to swing or use midi controllers independently to trigger your sounds.....theres no excuse for it.....if your complaint is that the overall sound lacking Punch....then get a better soundcard....OR purchase an s950 which is the gut sampler of the MPC 60 for your drums and you will achieve similar sound as the mpc for about 1300 dollars less....it makes no sense to base your arguement against software sequencing due to your lack of knowledge of it....and therefore using cliche's in producer myths of yester year....LEARN YOUR SHIT BEFORE YOU TALK...the MPC is a piece of shit compared to something like an ASR....
    test
  10. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

Not sure I agree with that statement... basically WHATEVER people use to make their beats, its the person themselves, not the equipment that is gonna make an ill track... basically beyond that, its a case of what that individual is most comfortable working with to make their production sessions as time effecient as possible.
    test
  11. LiQuiD6

yea i kinda went overboard on that statement...but as an overall WORKSTATION...the asr does shit on the mpc.....you can have a pretty much finished product on the asr....being that it has built in 24 bit effects and Dynamic signal processing that is legendary in sound...as opposed to the mpc......um..yea...i would still need my pc with the mpc....my asr can REPLACE my pc...
    test
  12. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

ok, I hear ya... but that like saying a pc has 1000s of effects (plug ins) and hours of sample time (hard drive)..... doesnt mean its 'better' than a triton/asr/mpc for production though, as thats all 'technical stats'..... the reason most people like things like MPC is the whole 'feel' of it & the hands on aspect...... bottom line though is, there are lots of classic hip-hop tracks produced on MPC & lots of classic hip-hop tracks produced on ASR
    test
  13. LiQuiD6

agreed..bottom line is it really doesnt matter...i just felt like getting defensive...bahah
    test
  14. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

drum machines... anyone?
    test
  15. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

if you cant afford mpc, Id personally go for an SP-303 Dr. Sample Phrase Sampler from Boss
    test
  16. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

i just need some shit for drums... i can chop samples on the comp
    test
  17. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

MPC is the most over-rated, over-hyped, and under-quality piece of shit ever invented.

Back when •••••s didn't know anything about a computer (and by the way they promote the MPC, they still don't) it was great because it was a stand-alone package.

Any medium-grade sequencer (Cubase, Reason, etc) with a VSTi can shit nuggets on an MPC these days. And don't let the Source (or Milo) fool you.

For the price it takes to purchase a device with 32MB of RAM (47 and a half SECONDS of sample time for CD-quality audio), NO internal harddrive, a device which requires you to store all samples and sequences on the archaic floppy disk, and can only output at a maximum 44,100hz/16-bit... for that price, you can purchase a fully-loaded Digi 002 Console with all the faders and knobs you little kids love to touch. But hey, the MPC got 16 rubber pads! ooooh! aaahhh!

Hey... Milo.... genuis.. the quanitzation on an MPC... IS THE EXACT SAME FUCKING GRID MAP THAT MIDI HAS BEEN STORED ON SINCE THE 1980'S!!!!!! (960 PPQN) THERE IS ZERO TECHNOLOGICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOW AN MPC MAPS MIDI NOTES AND HOW CUBASE MAPS MIDI NOTES

So just put down the Source, okay?
    test
  18. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

thanks Ghet - he pretty much stated my stand on this along with some others, sure if your hands on and have the money for an MPC go ahead and waist it to touch some rubber pads...cuz they make bangin drums
    test
  19. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

lol... Ghet.... the engineeriest engineer word

but recommend me a drum machine please

one
    test
  20. Jusa9ine

Jusa9ine YEAAAA

i jus recently got an mpc2000xl, it's amazing, i used to make beats in fruity, but u'll notice, software sounds nutin compared to a pro hardware beat machine... think about it, u look at the software and make a beat while lookin at it, with the mpc, you dont see wut the beat looks like. YOU HEAR IT. Music is heard, not seen...Think about it.

Peace
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.