Motivation

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

What keeps you motivated? What makes you get up and eat all day and lift ridiculous amounts of weight? Is it the health benefits, the progress you see, women(or men for any ladies frequenting this forum) you want to impress, etc?

For me, seeing progress keeps my engine running. When I'm liftin more, when I'm weighing more, when I can see it in the mirror. That's my biggest motivator, nothing makes me want to keep working for it like seeing progress. If I never saw results I'd give up and try again later on at a different time(which has happened in the past). Not now, no sir.

Women is another big one, what guy doesn't start lifting weights to impress the opposite sex?
    test
  2. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Results are a real big factor in motivation...women go hand in hand wit that too

And I love bein able to hop up and run 2 miles at any given moment and then still have enough energy to go about my day...i mean, bein 19 years old, health doesnt come to the top of motivation list as of now but Its there...and in 20 years if i stick with the exercise and diet, i'll really thank myself
    test
  3. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

Alot of shit gets me motivated, you find out alot about yourself working out I find.

I get alot of comments from girls and boys (no homo). Asking for advice and such and I'm not even that big or nor have I been lifting for considerably long. People can't tell if I workout with my shirt on but when its off or when I'm in a wifebeater its a different story. I'm not big at all, so I guess it's because I'm fairly cut and light muscled. Attention always serves as a catalyst of motivation.

But I'm self motivated. I look at a picture of my ideal physique then I look at myself in the mirror I am not satisfied with what I see. I ALWAYS see room for improvement. I'm sort of a perfectionist so I'm not easily satisfied.

Just seeing bigger veteran dudes working out in the gym who paid their dues, and seeing how all their hard work day in and day out paid off is amazing. One day I just want to walk into the gym jump on a bench of squat rack and do 225 for WARM up.

I like the pump I get after a workout. The feeling that you actually accomplished something is great. I look at my brother and see how he went from a skinny frail bastard to a decently, cut, muscled dude would have any older brother proud. I mean im the older one.. i should be setting the example so I feel thats its my job to catch up to where he is. Hes bigger but I know more than he does. I tell him to go lower in the squats, and what exercises he should consider doing.

I strive to see my limits, to be the best I can be. On the othe hand, my manly ego tells me to be better than any other man but I try not to get that carried away. I don't doubt myself but i like to be REALISTIC. Lifting is a PART of my life but not my life.

I know its going to take awhie but it keeps me busy. It takes dedication, consistancy, perserverance, determination, motivation, passion, desire, commitment, devotion, throw up, blood, sweat, and tears. I can't wait to see myself 5, 10, 15 down the road, strolling down the beach confident as fuck as my body protrays all the hard work I put into it.

That's my motivation.

What's yours?
    test
  4. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Progress and Results.

Eventually you accept that, with time, you can control how your body looks.

Christian Thibadeau. He's this awesome awesome trainer in Canada, I be constantly getting tips off him and shit.

I seriously want my body to look exactly like that.. it motivates me.
    test
  5. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

he's doesn't have a freak body, he used to compete, I've seen how he looked "before" he started training, he's real good dieting, hard trainer.

it's gotta be possible with time.

he's got a few books out.. I may honestly be snagging his black book of training secrets soon.
    test
  6. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

The Army. I gradually started taking care of myself (casually) and only really stuck to it when I got weighed up good and proper in a fight. I'm no boxer, but I know what to do in a fight and I got gifted infront of everyone. To make it worse, as punnishment I had to race this dude on an assualt course. I couldn't even finnish it.

So I started doing it to basically be able to be fit enough to compete with the big boys and I was. After just 6 months I was finnishing our course in dope times and matured alot more when it came to fighting. But recently I found out what the problem has been with my bad back after a spazm. I got some athritus/muscle growth type problem which shouldn't trouble me until Im around 60. But because I've been such a slob for the past 8 years and done so much in 6 months.. the muscles are even worse than they should be.

So basically I do it now for healths sake. The pain I've been through with my back was nothing compared to the spazm and the spazm is nothing compared to what it could be like if I dont sort it out.

But im laying down now on my bed, and being able to put my hand on my stomach and feel how 'level/flat' it is, is a major motivator. The progress feel good factor as a whole is. Girls never really motivated me, not being a cock, I always got attention and it never seemed to bother too many that I was a bit podgy with tits, but now I can walk around in a shirt and girls who wouldn't even give me an evil are looking all coy at me... thats not so much a motivator as just my increasng vainity..
    test
  7. Skrybe

Skrybe ConnectedthruaForeignExch

To be honest, everything that y'all named should be my motivation too ... but I just don't have much for motivation. It's sad but true. And this is my biggest problem for hitting the gym.

Truth be told, I should be either huge or cut like a motherfucker right now. Why? Because I've been on deployment, locked up inside a base with literally nothing to do for a year. But I didn't go to the gym (which coincidentally - ready to beat my ass? - was literally less than a minute's walk from my room). And why not? Because I just flat out had NO motivation to go. I guess it was my job (tossing 70 pound boxes all day), or being away from my family & my girl, or just getting caught up in the repetition of nothingness that was a constant during my deployment, but I didn't have a reason for throwing on the sweats and hitting the weights. Sure, I started out with motivation, and went to the gym at least 3 times a week, usually 4 or 5 when I first got there, but that motivation quickly faded. Now I fear that I may be reaching that point again fairly soon. While I've been hitting the gym fairly hard for the past month (just got off that deployment, and now in Germany), who knows how long it'll last. I feel more motivated now than I ever did in Kosovo, though.

Here's the bottom line, and the reason I'm really replying: If none of the above reasons are enough motivation, what then? I mean ... what the hell? What am I supposed to do? By the way, as of now the big motivator is my buddy who is eager to get himself in my condition (sorry I didn't mention - I'm in good shape; just don't have much motivation to hit the gym), and looking good for my girl when she sees me in April.
    test
  8. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Looking at myself in the mirror and comparing myself now to what I looked like 6 months ago.

When I weigh myself and see that I gained another 2lbs.

I really had a hard time keeping myself motivated. I would always find ways to convince myself that i didnt need to workout today. I would always do the workout but Id always try to find ways out of it and not feel guilty. It never worked....I skipped a day one time and worried about it all that day. Never did it again.
    test
  9. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

to stay healthy really.
    test
  10. INKonspikuouz

INKonspikuouz An sclábhaí na Éirinn

in the beginning which was about 4 years ago, my motivation was definitly the girls. you see all these buff mother fuckers on tv and they getting girls. so i was like i'm gonna get big. so that was the start of it. and then getting compliments from friends, little things when you'd be on vacation or some shit, and they'd be like damn you working out. cause i kept it on the low for like a year.

but now its just become a hobby and a way of life. i have got so accustomed to working out and living by its required lifestyle (eating right, sleeping, supplements, etc) that its the only way for me. i actually love working out. i look forward to it. in fact i can't wait for 3pm today. chest and triceps.
    test
  11. Ice Fluid

Ice Fluid Flow with the Fluid.

Reults and Women, but I like to set long-term goals too.Like going to the beach every summer. Ever summer I cut up to look my absolute best on the beach, and when the shirt comes off I love it when every girl around me makes a double take.
    test
  12. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

Seeing the changes in my body and living a healthy lifestyle keeps me motivated and makes me feel great.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.