Mixing

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by AR15Assault, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AR15Assault

AR15Assault AR-15... what?

i use an audio technica at2020 mic and adobe audition 1.5 to mix my vocals. i think my quality is pretty good, example: AR-15 - Call The Cops.mp3 - 1.3 Mb. the track itself is wack, its jus somethin i did up ina rush to test the mic.

anyway i wanna know how i can make it better. i always see people talkin about EQ, compression etc. but i don't know how to use them like are they certain effects?

any help would be really appreciated.
    test
  2. Mighty GK

Mighty GK omg 2012

I didn't listen to your music but mixing is something you can never know TOO much about.

my suggestions
    1. buy studio monitors to hear the flaws in the mixes
    2. read up on eq, compression
    3. use your ears when mixing. apply eq 1st, compression 2nd
    4. use proper panning
    5. listen to the mix on many different speakers to see how well the mix translates
    6. have a reference track for the sound you're going for...if your track has a blueprint 1 vibe throw on the jay-z classic & see how your mixing compares..what levels need to be adjusted
    7. use things like reverb and delay...but just a pinch. they are more for sparkle and taste..I remember Urb tactics saying u want to treat it like sugar in kool aid...just to give it more flavor but not to completely mush the track up
    8. a good take is key (performance). if you have to record it 20 times to get the raw sound right before you mix it...then do that. you can't mix "life" into a bad performance.

just a few things to keep in mind. pz
    test
  3. Degenerate One

Degenerate One Noe Nose Touching

i suggest upgrade from adobe, or at least get audition 3
    test
  4. soundbetter

soundbetter New Member

Try www.beatmakertutorials.com they actually have great ebooks on those topics.
    test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Man... if you want good advice... don't ask the question here.. not because you won't get good answers.. you will.. it's just not a fair question and there are too many answers.. it's like saying.. hey how do I do everything?.. So the reason I say don't ask such a broad question here.. is that this information is already flooding the internet in previous posts and various websites.. YOUTUBE is your friend.. not only is someone telling you step by step, but you get the obvious advantage of the visual aid.. this will speed up your learning curve.. I started learning long before youtube when it was mostly trial and error.. start by reading my mixing 101 sticky at the top of this page.. it gives some answers to all of the questions you posted.. then go to youtube and other sites where this information is already posted.. home recording . com is a good one..

The best specific advice I will give you here and now is this... actually learn the theory behind the effect.. which means learn the theory behind the equipment that the computer effect emmulates.. An eq and compressor for example.. end of the day the theory is very simple.. once you understand what it is.. why it is.. and what it does.. then learning to use it is much easier.. don't just let people tell you suggested settings.. find out and learn why those suggested settings work.. that will help you understand how you might need to alter the settings to suit you.. good luck!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.