Mixing singing vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by New B, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New B

New B Greatest Asian rapper?

so i'm startin to get down mixing hip hop vocals but I have this chorus that's sung and I need to know how to mix it. I have 3 tracks, I'm wondering if I should do the same pan 1 hard left, pan 1 hard right, and 1 in the middle or should i just use 2 tracks or what? also what are some good effects to put it through, EQ, compressor, chorus, delay, reverb, autotune, etc? and some general settings for such. I would really appreciate any advice.

I know every artist is different, u can't just use the same process for all vocals, etc.

but im not really an engineer and i don't need a perfect mix just a good enough one. i just need somethin good enough to put out for now, im gonna get it rerecorded and mixed at a studio by an engineer and all.

Again, thanks if you can help me out.
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

I think you'll find the general mix will be much the same as mixing rap vocals.. using a chorus plugin is a good idea.. The eq is pretty specific to the voice.. you should always do sweeps to find the friendly frequencies and pull them out while cutting the frequencies that sound bad to your ear.. generally you'll want to add more reverb than you would to a typical rap vocal.. your panning is the same, but you might also have the singer do a second take.. duplicate the second take to a new track.. nudge the first copy slightly backward on the timeline.. I mean like 5-10 ms maybe at the most or less.. and then take the second copy and nudge it forward by the same amount.. pan them hard left and right.. this creates a really nice manual delay sound that really makes it stand out.. you'll want to turn the level of the left channel copy down slightly lower than the right as the left ear will hear a predelayed sound louder than the right ear will hear the same sound on the right channel at the same level.. so offset by 1 or 2 db.. autotune can certainly make a singer sound better in a few ways, but it depends on what you're going for.. I won't get into the settings on that, there are plenty of youtube videos that will show you indepth how to set it for varied effect.. well just a few tips, hope this was helpful.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.