mixing + mastering process

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Stranger, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stranger

Stranger New Member

i was wondering if someone could help me with mixing and mastering a little... I have a ADK Model TC microphone, adobe audition and sony acid for my programs, also a delta 44 soundcard and a grace design model 101 pre amp... i've just recently built plastic foam boards... they're pretty big... i got 3 of em that i can move around to help with the sound (though I don't really know the best spots yet).

anyway, i need some help with the mastering process... what do you guys do, what filters do you run and what not?
    test
  2. Stranger

Stranger New Member

test
  3. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

You're not going to get great results with the software you're using.. you can master with audition, but the plugins are not really designed for it.. let me simplify the differnce between mixing and mastering.. 1. Mixing = setting levels / effects / filters etc.. for each individual insturment or vocal in order to bring them to a relative level and sound to create the song.. mastering is doing all of the same priciples only you are doing it to the overall mix all at once.. so in essence you could accomplish this in audition by loading the whole track in stereo once it's mixed down and then applying effect to the whole track.. while there is not set chain for every situation.. a common chain will tipically include EQ first.. followed by compression.. (multiband works better here) and then a limiter.. (it's a good idea to use two limiters always at the end.. using two limiters prevents any one limiter from working too hard and there by yields better results) It's also common to through reverb in the mastering chain either before or after the compressor.. before or after is dependent upon each application.. try both and a to b to decide where it will live ultimately.. that is when it is used.. it certainly is not something that you should be doing every time.. when you do use reverb in the chain.. make sure that you apply the smallest amount possible.. you want very little reverb in those instances where you do use it in the mastering chain.. If you ever upgrade to pro tools you will get much better software based mastering results.. an excellent all in one mastering plugin is the izotope ozone plugin.. Right now there is no better mastering software.. though you can acheive the same results with a combination of other plugs like the waves bundles for example.. best of luck.. if you have more questions hit me up at roushy1@gmail.com
    test
  4. Stranger

Stranger New Member

wow thank you for the very detailed response.

yeah I feel that about the protools thing, but i Got the izotope software and been using that... do you think there is a really big difference in quality between the two?
    test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Izotope is a plugin used within pro tools.. pro tools is a DAW.. you would likely get better quality using izotope within pro tools verses using it within audition.. it's really in the hardware though.. Uprgrading to pro tools generally means stepping up your A/D - D/A conversion.. but if you already have good hardware with good converters then you can get the same results with just about any DAW..
    test
  6. Stranger

Stranger New Member

word... thanks man, I still got alot to learn i guess...
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

We all have a lot to learn my friend.. it's the will to learn and to keep learning that you want to make sure you have. Here is something that will speed up your learning curve.. youtube.. pretty much everything you want to learn is there.. I call it youtube university.. I spent countless hours watching videos and then when I started actuall course work on pro tools with a pro instructor.. I found that he showed me a ton of things that I already had seen on youtube.. just be careful as all of the videos there aren't good.. some are not right and will give you bad habbits that you want to avoid, but the fundamental things you need to know are all there.. pay particular attention to the "pro tools accelerated" videos.. they are from digidesign and are very useful.. best of luck.
    test
  8. Stranger

Stranger New Member

thank you so much i owe you one.

i listed my hardware in my first post... am I protools ready?
    test
  9. Stranger

Stranger New Member

i will definitely be spending alot of time learning...
    test
  10. Mr. ROUSH

The delta 44 supports ProTools M Powered, so in part you are pro tools ready... HOWEVER.. and this is very important... the real question is whether your pc is fast enough and powerful enough.. You need a bare minimum of 1 gig of ram to efficiently use pro tools.. 2, 3 or more gigs would be preferred, and you want a very fast dual or quad core processor, or something equivelant.. another important thing here is that you absolutely want to make sure that you have a dedicated audio drive.. one that is very fast.. so essentially you will have C:/ drive which you will install pro tools software on.. and then D:/ drive will store your files seperately so as not to bog down the disc doing the processing..

something I might consider before getting M powered ProTools... for any serious recording artist there will come a time when M powered is no longer going to do it for you.. you will undoubtedly be looking to go to ProTools LE in short order.. so.. my advice would be to save up and get an LE compatible interface and save yourself some money.. just upgrading to pro tools a lone without upgrading your hardware will not give you better results.. so don't expect simply going to m powered without getting a new interface to improve quality much if at all.. it would improve everything else.. learning to mix.. propper use and routing of pro tools.. editing capabilities.. more plugins.. but from a technical stand point your quality won't improve until the interface does.. make sense?
    test
  11. Stranger

Stranger New Member

yes makes alot of sense, but if i have the audio equipment already, and i already have a sick gaming computer that can handle that, then i should just get the protools for now? otherwise, if it doesnt improve quality very much, maybe not... depends how much work I want to put into the technical aspect of music... i guess i'll have to make up my mind until i have more money...
    test
  12. Mr. ROUSH

I would say yes, but keep in mind I prefer pro tools.. not everyone does.. There is one very large flaw with m powered and LE.. neither one support automatic delay compesation... that fucking sucks.. they don't include it because of ProTools HD systems.. they want you to drop $20,000 to $30,000 and way less people would do that if LE and M powerd had delay compensation.. it's a real ripoff.. but easy to get around anyway.. my point is that using maybe cubase or sonar.. logic.. just about every other DAW has delay compensation.. and it's automatic.. so for that reason others prefer those programs... M powered is inexpensive enough that it would probably be worth having just for the training purposes though if you do go pro tools..

so at any rate I would suggest you go ahead and get M powered for now and start saving for an LE interface on the side so you can eventually step things up.. pz
    test
  13. Stranger

Stranger New Member

thanks alot yo imma get set up now
    test
  14. Mr. ROUSH

No doubt.. you're welcome
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.