*~mixing in fl studio~*

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by empbeatz, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empbeatz

empbeatz New Member

Hey does anyone know how to get those tight mixes in FL Studio like Johnny Juliano, Flawless Tracks, Kane Beatz, etc? Do they mix in Fl Studio or do they just use it to make the tracks and then export them into pro tools or something?

ALSO CHECK OUT MY BEATS HERE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO IMPROVE MY MIXES!!! SoundClick artist: EMPbeatz - page with MP3 music downloads
    test
  2. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

i think you just need to learn the basics of mixing and music theorie in general.

read upon EQ'ing and compressing, both are an artform if done right
    test
  3. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

start searching and reading fl comes stock with some pretty power full vst's for mixing ......you just need to learn your software and also learn your monitors and mix environment mixing is just as much of an artform as the beatmaking its self
    test
  4. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

TBH I've heard a lot worser mixes than yours. You should try having a reference track to compare to while your mixing. Something that is a similar style and has been commercially released. That might help but what they said above pretty much covers it
    test
  5. ~G.I~

just dont try to level match your reference, turn your reference down.

The reference will most likely be a mastered track so if you try to level match you are probably gonna crank the mix up in to the red.
    test
  6. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

True

Have you noticed most beats on the web are clipping badly? Some of mine too if I'm honest but I wouldn't give exclusives out like that.

Definitely would leave good headroom for further mixing and mastering
    test
  7. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

lol that is the ONE thing i actually can do when it comes to mixing or w.e... i always got everything in a channel and make sure its not clipping, but after that im fuckin loooost.. when it comes to EQ, ill tweak shit till i think it sounds good but it never sounds how i really want it too..
    test
  8. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Yeah, well my beats on the web are clipped on purpose, but there actually not clipping in a way. If you looked at a meter while playing the beat it would be in the green but if you looked at the wav in soundforge it would look clipped.

I basically put a brickwall limiter at 0 DB then cranked it up by 4DB to make it louder. So really it's clipping but it isn't lol. Can be easily reversed tho.

This might sound gay but what I do to try and improve mixing is close my eyes and listen to silence for a few moments then I visualize how I want it to sound and attempt to recreate my imagination. I found it's actually working recently, but overall I think mixing is a long process that could take years to learn
    test
  9. ~G.I~

of course closing your eyes helps... you are using your ears now
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  10. empbeatz

empbeatz New Member

thanks for the info! My main problem is getting it to sound as loud as i want it to and having my kicks bumping hard. So when you master a track what exactly do you do?
    test
  11. ~G.I~

loudness is achieved in mastering, if you want to hear stuff loud, then just turn on your speakers and mix in the loud. but never, NEVER let your meters go red in digital mixing.

I'd say if you pretty much got everything leveled out, and you want your kicks harder, then just turn the rest down.
    test
  12. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Eh G.I, Listening to Timbaland's Shock Value album, a lot of it sounds badly clipped but I'm assuming it was intentional. Do you think it really is clipped or clever mixing? I'm thinking some of it was down to trial and error and they just ran with it in the end.
    test
  13. empbeatz

empbeatz New Member

Ok, So is Pro tools the best program to do mastering in???
    test
  14. ~G.I~

nah, thats the way they always work, there are clipping the converters or pretty much every analogue piece they have.

Compressors clipping on input stage, channels clipping etc...
    If you listen to that MIA song "Sleigh Bells - Tell Em"

SLEIGH BELLS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

you'll notice that that kick is just swallowing up the everything that comes close lol, but thats how they work there, kind of there signature, not a big fan of it myself, but it works for them and plenty of people like it.
    test
  15. ~G.I~

dont really know how you ask this based on my responses so far lol, but no, pro-tools is not the best program to do mastering in.

Pro-tools is perfect for recording, editing and mixing, post production, film... but not mastering.

I mean, it will do the job just fine, but if you want to do track sequencing, ISRC codes, hidden tracks etc...
    You need real mastering software such as

-Samplitude (Sequoia)
    -WaveLab
    -Sony CD Architect

and there are some others, but Samplitude is by far the most use and most suitable for mastering, especially because it can handle 64 bits audio.
    test
  16. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Yeah, see what you mean about that kick, everything duckin for cover when it drops. I don't like it TBH. That M.I.A chick is alright tho. A friend of mine has her contact from a while back but he won't hook me up lol. I wanna send her a beat and I wouldn't mind having sex with her too to cap the deal!
    test
  17. empbeatz

empbeatz New Member

lol my b...so I guess its basically all about the plugins for mastering.
    test
  18. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Man forget mastering, just try and get the mix right first and leave the mastering to someone else
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.