Mini - ME

Discussion in 'Poetry Realm' started by Sole Sovereign, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quotive

quotive 3

lol Ana, you don't realize something.. Did he say he wanted this published? If I'm not mistaken, he didn't mention it.

Not everyone wants their shit published... I considered it, but I doubt it. I don't post each piece for it to be published lol...
    test
  2. Sole Sovereign

Sole Sovereign Hungry But Never Starving

I’ve said over and over that I only write poetry as a hobby now. Yes I’ve had a piece published in a book, but I was approached about it after a performance. He/She is simply an inexperienced poet and just getting his/her foot in the door in the literary world. His view points will change as he/she grows. I can tell because nobody expires to get their pieces published in a journal except wall flowers. One thing is for sure, every creative writing professor I’ve ever had have stated that grammatical rule has no place in poetry as it is an expressive art form. They can help or hurt depending on your target audience and it’s solely up to the artist to choose whether he utilizes them or not. Just like the choice of using water colors or oils. I’m through with this post and so it will die down I’m going to ask Soul to close it. Thanks to everybody for the support.
    test
  3. Sykda

Sykda New Member

--Well I wasnt asking you to change your style of writing.. I was just stating ann opinon.. Im sorry if you took that the wrong way.. I dont want no beef.. And now that you explained it, it did make much more since.. But the metaphor was hard to see so I took it Literally and I apoligise...
    test
  4. Sole Sovereign

No big deal duke, I just felt like it hurt your feelings because you called me a "sick fuck". I'm sorry if things got twisted and yeah I can see where it would cause confusion. Thanks for peeping my work Sydka. I hope this didn't run you off for checking it in the future and I'm sorry to hear about your little brother.
    test
  5. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

See, you just basically stated your ignorance in this matter... all serious poets publish, or try to publish... people that want to make writing poetry at least part of their job (though without being a teacher, it's almost impossible, unless you're a poet laureate.) publish in journals, it is the first step in publishing a collection. Find me more than one poet who can publish a book without publishing first in some journals (without being already famous). Name any poet that you'll find in a contemporary collection (except spoken word type shit where written word is played down) who has a book and no other credentials. Short fiction is the same way.

And as far as grammatical rules not applying... that's just ridicuous... so spelling doesn't matter, punctuation, eh, sometimes sure, sometimes not, doesn't matter? That is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Poetry is just like any other writing, there are rules, the rules can be broken, but if they're broken there needs to be a reason why. When poetry has no punctuation, it has NO punctuation, and then the pauses are deigned by the line breaks, but if a poem has punctuation, it needs to have proper punctuation. Spelling is also not an option.

Personally, and I guess this is where I differ from other people, I want my poem to be as strong as possible, I want all the potentially confusing elements, the punctuation, to be as clear as it can be, I want the images to be as strong as I can make them. I don't want to half ass something.

Sporadic: Anaphora is a poetic term...

And Forw0rds, this is all just retarded, I think you can admit to that. I didn't criticize your content, I didn't make any malicious comments, I gave you a serious critique, pointing out all the nit picky things I could so that you could go through them and decide which to change, and which to ignore, that's what a workshop is. That's what most poetry message boards are geared at, polishing up works in progress. If you don't want that (as you've clearly shown to both me and Sydka) I won't take the time anymore. But I'd rather you not reply to anything I post than give some broad sweeping statement like "it doesn't flow well", because that just doesn't help anything.

The quote in my sig basically sums up what this forum has become, which is sad, because for a short while, there were some serious critiques, and some poems actually got improved upon.
    test
  6. Sole Sovereign

Soul - Please close this.

test
  7. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Read again, either no punctuation at all, or proper... seriously man.
    test
  8. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

^Yeah this has gone to far...both of you are talented poets leave it at that
    test
  9. quotive

quotive 3

"The quote in my sig basically sums up what this forum has become, which is sad, because for a short while, there were some serious critiques, and some poems actually got improved upon."

Ok, why the fuck are you still here then?

Case closed...
    test
  10. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

^My thoughts exactly. Ana is cool people though, he just sometimes get a little carried away.

For the poem. I see everybody as what was needed to be said. Wouldnt make no sense for me to repeat it.

"silhouette of my failure, paralyzed by deep fears"

^one of the best lines i've seen from you...along with the next line after it.

one luv
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.