Mic Sounds Tubish???

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Rizzie, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizzie

Rizzie Member

Whats going on I got a akg perception 120 hooked up to a m-audio fast track pro and bx5a studio monitors. when I record my vocals they sound tubish. after doing some equing I can get it to sound a lil better. is there a way to get it to not sound too tubish sounding or thats just the way it comes out
    test
  2. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Tubish? what is that if you mean tubeish wouldnt you want that sound
    test
  3. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

You've chosen a bad word to describe the issue you're having.. A Tube sound is a welcome sound.. Tubish would mean "warm" to me which is a good thing..

I think you're getting "mud", or "boxiness".. This is likely just a character of the mic in terms of how it matches with your preamp.. EQ is the solution end of the day.. Cut out some of the muddy midrange with a narrow q by sweeping with a parametric eq.. use a high pass filter to filter out everything below 40 - 60hz to get rid of rumble or do this with the low shelf depending on the curve or sound you want.. Try boosting between 1k - 5k.. often 3k, in order to make the vocals more intelligible. You'll want to use a shelf or bell curve on the high end of the lead to brighten up the vocals and make them more clear giving them some air.

Use a De-esser and a to be it both before and after the compressor in the chain..

Use a short delay time around 34ms to thicken the vocal but don't overdue it.. You can try splitting a vocal track and sending it to two delays panned opposite with slightly different delay times.. say like 12ms and 34ms.. set feedback / dry/wet to taste.. don't forget reverb.. try a vocal plate and try to set it so that you don't notice it until you take it out..

You can take measures to improve the source sound by deadening the air around the mic using some kind of make shift vocal booth or reflexion filter. Use a metal pop filter.. Make sure your level is right.. It's better to be a little to low than too high.. Headroom is very important.

Good luck!
    test
  4. Rizzie

Rizzie Member

thanks fam i appreciate it. those were the terms I was going for. will definatly try on next recordings. really appreciate it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.