Mic and preamp for a decent home studio

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by cold21blooded, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cold21blooded

cold21blooded New Member

im going to start building a small home studio for when i dont feel like traveling to a big studio...

here are the mics i plan on choosing

Rode NT1A
    Amazon.com: Rode NT1A Anniversary Vocal Condenser Microphone (Includes NT1A, Premium Shock Mount, Pop Filter, 20: Musical Instruments

Shure SM7B
    Shure SM7B Dynamic Cardioid Microphone at zZounds

Nady TCM-1150
    Amazon.com: Nady TCM-1150 Studio Vacuum-Tube Condenser Microphone with 30' 7-pin XLR Cable & TMPS-2 Power Supply / Power Selector & Padded Case: Musical Instruments

I know you guys have most likely not heard of the nady before but a friend of mine has it in his studio and and put his shure away and this is his new favorite mic.. he is going to school for sound and stuff and his teacher brought it in to show the class and he bought one right after he heard it

And im a little confused on which preamp to you but these are the ones i was looking at

PreSonus

PreSonus Eureka Pro Channel Strip at zZounds

and

PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Mic Preamp at zZounds

I will be using a mac with prologic.. im open for all advice so let me know what you think
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

There's a lot that I would recommend over the preamps you have listed, but it really depends on your budget.. one thing I would strongly suggest.. if you go with a tube mic.. don't go with a tube pre-amp.. a tube mic will work best with a good solid state pre-amp and vice versa.. if you get a tube pre-amp then you'll want to get a solid state mic over a pre-amp... I'm a big fan of the Sm7b.. real workhorse mic that is tough to beat in the $300 range.. A lot of tube mics come highly recommended because they add a nice warm character to the vocals and recordings.. I've heard nothing bad about the Nady.. but, can't speak from direct experience on it.. but yeah, tube mics are a good choice in general as long as you're not going to run it through a tube preamp..

If you'll share what your budget is I'd be happy to make some suggestions.. also, if you want suggestions on a mic then you should post at least a description of your vocal type and if possible post a track you have recorded.. nobody should be suggesting any mics to anyone without first having a general idea about what you sound like.. as always.. the best way is to test it.. it sounds like you buy studio time occasionally.. it's money well spent to buy a couple of hours to test out the gear you're considering.. but anyway, post up that budget and description and I'll be happy to make some more specific recommendations. pz.
    test
  3. Sacriligeous

Sacriligeous The Beat Monster

I definitely second the SM7B suggestion, it works amazing for almost any type of vocals and has a really smooth and round sound..i've recorded rappers, RnB Singers and rock rocals even with great success using that mic...its one of the favorites in my collection! It is especially good for untreated rooms

I suggest you pair that up with a Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp which is a Neve clone and sounds AMAZING for the price...dont believe me? read up on some reviews, I have yet to see a bad one
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.