mic and pre help

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by psykiatrizt, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psykiatrizt

psykiatrizt Not Ur Ordinary Shrink

i had seen a thread about shure sm7b being good for high pitched rap vocals.. in the $300 range but if u could spend 500-600 what would u suggest? I also read Shure KSM 32 on a diff site.. tryin to find some good opinions before i buy a new mic.. and what would be a good pre in the same price range?

if u want to hear vocals
    www.reverbnation.com/psykiatrizt

thanx
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

The sm7b is good for all kinds of vocals.. it incorporates a bass cut and a presence boost feature that are very nice.. BUT.. and this is very important.. which mic you decide on depends on which one suits your vocals specifically.. there's no way to know for sure unless you try them.. it's a worthy investment to pay for some studio time to test these mics out before you buy if there is a commercial studio near you that owns all of the mics you want to test.. the same is VERY true of preamps.. the pre must be a good match for the mic..

that being said.. I listened to your vocals and I think that the sm7b would probably be a safe bet in the event you don't have the luxury to test the mics out you want to consider.. the ksm32 is probably a safe bet also, but I would go with the sm7b as it's a bit more versatile in the long run for all types of vocalist.. something I think would be safer than the ksm32 is the ksm44.. great mic.. worth a couple hundred more compared to the 32.. better value and you'd be much happier with it most likely..

preamp... what audio interface are you currretnly using? Something with onboard pre's and phantom power? Or do you already have a preamp? There aren't many pres in the budget you gave that I would recommend.. not because there aren't good ones.. but more because it would be a better investment just to go straight in to your AI and save up until you get up around the $1000-$2000 mark.. then you have PLENTY of great options.. and while it's been used to death.. the Avalon 737 is a great target and typically matches a lot of mics and vocals.. lot of great focusrite amps in that range also.. you could spend 5-600 and be ok with several options, but eventually you're goin to want to upgrade again, so might as well save now and buy once rather than spend now and spend twice as much again later..

Hope this was helpful advice for you and hope it works out.. good luck. pz
    test
  3. psykiatrizt

psykiatrizt Not Ur Ordinary Shrink

thanks for the help.. my interface is a mbox 2 pro.. i ordered the Shure sm7b and a Presonus Eureka
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

I think you'll be happy with your choice.. my sweetwater rep uses A eureka and swears by it.. I bought one a couple years back and ended up returning it because it didn't match the mic, but I'm willing to bet it'll make that shure humm.. best of luck.
    test
  5. Les W

Les W Was Helped By Point Game

isn't the sm7 a dynamic? I thought they didn't need preamps?
    test
  6. Mr. ROUSH

Yes, the Sm7b is dynamic.. didn't mean to imply it needed a pre-amp.. however the Ksm 32 and 44 are condensors.. also, you can still run a dynamic mic through a pre-amp without using the phantom power and take advantage of any onboard effects.. plus a lot of pre's on the higher end will add much desired character and color to the sound of mics.. pz
    test
  7. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

roush u are that dude
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.