meaning

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by reggie jax, Mar 29, 2013.

1. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

that is why i kept asking you if existence was really the end goal to it all, or if there was an even higher goal that existence was being used to achieve. if existence is the end goal then i don't see how you can help but come to the conclusion that it is the highest form of meaning the universe has to offer.
    test
  2. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i want to clarify exactly what i meant so that you don't think i've been wasting your time by arguing just to argue. this is something that i actually think and have thought about to myself for a while.

i think that existence itself is a meaningful concept. it in essence unlocks the potential for every other type of meaning we might try to attribute to reality. without existence, none of this is possible. so if anything is meaningful, existence is.

this is sort of where i was going with my question about what you would prefer between temporary existence and eternal nonexistence. if existence is meaningful then there is an obvious distinction between those two scenarios, because one allows for existence for a finite duration and the other allows for no existence at all. some existence is always better than no existence. a no-brainer, right?

so then in the distinction between temporary existence and eternal existence, an eternal existence has to win by this metric because it's essentially just an infinite multiplier of the initial value. the initial value is still existence, and everything it unlocks. so naturally we want things to continue exist forever, but that is merely an extension of the initial value that gave meaning to our world.

which would mean that even if eternity isn't an option for us, we still have meaning because the initial value doesn't lose its value by not extending itself forever.
    test