meaning

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by reggie jax, Mar 29, 2013.

1. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

there's a question that i run into that really sort of perplexes me. people ask if there's no god then where is the meaning in your life? what's so strange about this question is that i can tell they really mean it.

when i imagine having a celestial father to pay my respects to, that doesn't offer me any sort of meaning that i care for. my existence is just a testament to your greatness? yea, no thanks.

and yet when i try to think of a better reason to exist i come up empty handed. any singular reason wouldn't really seem sufficient for all of this. in fact it seems like if i try to introduce any specific reason for existing then the whole thing turns into a celestial machine that is engineered to perform a single task. it takes all of the romance out of existence, and certainly out of the individual lives of the cogs in that machine.

so in fact i hope there's not a reason. i hope it just exists and we're stranded here questioning it without any hope of a final answer.
    test
  2. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

In nihilism, the belief is that the world is devoid of meaning. So why bother trying?

In absurdism, we believe that the world is devoid of meaning. So why not bother trying?
    test
  3. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

Answer to the meaning of life is this:

The meaning of life is to perpetuate life.

The meaning of your life is on a lower level to make your own life better.

The meaning of your life on a higher level is also to make life in general better, be it by your deeds, actions, human relations or use of your talents.
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

So when dealing with this question and the possibility of his existance
    and your own roll in the universe he created..
    u dont wonder what he created you for, and why he chose this time, in this place,
    to do it. you dont wonder, why he gave u the talents u were born with, and the empathy that
    your life has produced, the imagination that make u ask these questions,
    the skepticisms, the roll you play in the grander scale...?
    test
  5. antilluminati

I dont.

If "he" exists then time, place doesnt matter. Its how its ment to be, and anyway, how it IS, so its done. You find out by following your intuitive path of what feels right and follow the signs, then all that you learn and the steps you follow will eventually lead you to your destiny and you will have aquired the experience to do what you need to do. As long as you listen to yourself and do what feels right. Ive chosen all three of the above mentioned paths in my earlier comment, and I definitely feel that one thing has naturally led to the next. I have also always followed my own voice so I know it's how its ment to be done. I do not have any money tho lol, but you see what I mean. The role I play in the grander scale is significant, but also miniscule, but every part matters. I feel a part of all of existence and try not to be caught up in the ego, which is easy to do when pondering about ones own significance. It is also the wrong path.

You need to trust that all the bad and good things happen for a reason. An ex of mine said once that from all good things come good memories, and all bad things come good experience, so something good come from everything. Therefore I don't see my life being any different as its shaped me into who I am. And as I see myself as a part of humanity as a collective consciousness, I also see how everything has had to happen in order to shape us as a whole.
    test
  6. reggie jax

sure i would wonder that, it's always good to have the truth. my point was more along the lines of if he did create me and this specific time and place then i actually hope he did so not as a means to an end goal but as the end goal in and of itself.
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

test
  8. reggie jax

so from that position, it doesn't have to come from god to be meaningful. i already have existence which is what's actually valuable.
    test
  9. TheBigPayback

So the possibility that there is more to your existance than just existing isnt cause for curiosity of what further that might be
    test
  10. reggie jax

what do you have in mind when you say "something more to your existence than just existing?"
    test
  11. IAmBenT

IAmBenT Eat a dick, faggot

In the beginning God was all and all was God.

In order for God to be conscious, it had to seperate from itself to know itself.

That's what we are doing here, now, in these discussions, debates. God knows itself through all that is created. Its not random, and it's not in vain. Existence is a beautiful thing in itself.
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I think the purpose is to just be. That's it. Go through the motions. I don't feel unfulfilled. Im happy, I feel like I have meaning. Its to experience life and hopefully not be miserable. Some are successful, some aren't..

I believe in reincarnation, so even if you have a miserable experience in 1 life, I believe its possible to have a great one in the next. Maybe the goal is to get to the point where you finally realize that happiness is a state of mind and doesn't come FROM outside sources.
    test
  13. ChromeDepot

ChromeDepot Member

I think people tend to look for meaning when that may be a silly question to ask. I've often done it myself, searching for some huge revelation that would set me on my path to life, but i'm more after the simpler things. To be happy, to enjoy the beauty that is life, to spread love and happiness to the people that matter to me. It's that simple...and i'm okay with it.

The idea of reincarnation is a beautiful one to me. I don't necessarily believe in it, but isn't that idea so much more fulfilling then living in celestial paradise after death? Heaven doesn't sound like an enjoyable time...it's the concept of eternity that sours me. We exist forever in God's kingdom...doing what?
    test
  14. reggie jax

i don't care if reincarnation exists so long as i can't remember past lives, which if it's true it certainly seems that i can't. i don't want to live forever. i would love to live for like thousands of years but not forever.
    consciousness is a pretty decent reason to exist but i feel like existence itself is greater than consciousness. existence as a means to produce consciousness seems backwards because the means (existence) is a more comprehensive idea than the end goal (consciousness), which is merely a subset of that idea.

let's say hypothetically it is random... i think that is beautiful. the fact that a universe unraveled for no particular reason and gave birth to life does not at all detract from the beauty in life. if anything the mystery only makes it more interesting.
    test
  15. Radium

Radium f k

i agree but what should we do about it
    test
  16. reggie jax

about the mystery? try to solve it.
    test
  17. Ass Napkin Ed

Ass Napkin Ed DC - 19th & Benning Rd

God is the Universe
    if the Universe is everything - there can be no 'other universe'
    because the Other would be a sequel to the 1st Universe
    which would make what we call the Universe a Lie.

God is Life
    if Life is everything - there can be no 'other life'
    because the Other would be a sequel to the 1st Life
    which would make what we call this Life a Lie.

you are nothing - and you are everything at the same time
    you have animals below you - and animals above you (constellations)

you are nothing but bacteria living inside of a body, but you are everything to the bacteria living inside your body

smoke an L, grab some vodka - and take it all in bro!
    test
  18. antilluminati

I thunk twas miss Hill thus sayed "everything is everything".
    test
  19. Radium

Radium f k

why should we
    test
  20. reggie jax

if you're willing to grant that the truth is something that matters, then i think the idea that we should pursue knowledge of that truth sort of flows naturally from that.

i assume you're not granting me that assumption and are asking me to explain why the truth matters to begin with, which is a tough question. i'm having trouble coming up with an obective logical defense of this position that really reflects why it is that the truth matters to people.

i think the best answer i can give is that as rational beings born into a mysterious system we have a sort of intrinsic desire to make sense of our surroundings. at the heart of that effort is the desire understand our own origins and as an extension of that we need to try to understand the system we're born into as well as the origins of such a system.

there are plenty of practical benefits that have come about as a result of this desire. the traditions of science, religion, and philosophy all stem from this initial desire, which have undoubtedly led to innovations in thought that have improved the human condition.

but i don't think it's the practical benefits that really sparks the desire. even if a question holds no practical value, we still want to know what the answer is. it's an intrinsic part of being a rational being to wonder what the answer to any particular question is. it's sort of like the engine that drives thought. without it, there's not much reason to think about anything and thus no reason to be rational.
    test