MCs! Would you purchase a recycled verse from someone prominent?

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by Ace the Prophet, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ace the Prophet

Ace the Prophet A Prophet to the Game

Curious to see who would do this....kept seeing this dude who was pushing his Jadakiss feature hard and acting like it was his ticket in or some shit. I knew this motherfucker couldn't really get a feature from Jada so I did some debunking on his fake feature. Couldn't view it for free or anything so I found a preview with Jada's opening lines, googled that shit and found the exact same verse, right down to the fuckin adlibs, on a couple other songs.

Now...I understand the majority of a fan base isn't gonna give a shit and will blindly think that Jada really wanted to work with him...but my question is:

Would you purchase a verse from a prominent MC that you've never met before/even talked to/are even cool with, knowing that the chances of the verse being a recycled verse are high? Feel like anyone big would do the same shit Jada's people did, haha

BTW....I think the same shit happened to Shortyo with a Rick Ross verse???
    test
  2. NV

NV FEEL FREE MUSIC

Hell No.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Ace the Prophet

^That's what I would assume for most MCs....I don't see why someone would want a verse that's most likely recycled, or at least that's its intention when the verse is written
    test
  4. Blackanese

Blackanese BlackaneseCantRap.com

Nah there's only a few people I'd buy verses from, I like to work with people that like to work with me, not niggas trying to get a quick buck off me
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  5. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

Exactly have some pride in your craft b
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. PreacherMane

PreacherMane Member

didnt slim thug do this with I aint heard of that
    test
  7. Ace the Prophet

I'm sure plenty of MCs do this daily....so I'm not surprised it happened.

I'm with Blackanese on this, being that I only wanna work with people who wanna work with me. I just don't get why people would pay some good money for a recycled verse
    test
  8. HipHopInYoHood

HipHopInYoHood Member

but if you had a budget to actually push it, then most definitely. "getting the verse" from said artist is only 10% of the battle. the other 90% is getting it into the hands of dj's, bloggers, and mixshows to get it on mixtapes and websites, where it will essentially go onto people's ipods to 'bump in the whip' if they like it. once you get that exposure, solidify the relationships with those editors/dj's so they're looking to POST/SPIN your solo stuff...if your budget can carry you that far.
    test
  9. Ace the Prophet

So it's just a way to say you've got the money to get a big name, even though they probably have no idea that you're purchasing the verse since their people would probably handle that. IMO it's just another way to fake where you're really at, like purchasing views/likes/followers and shit, just more expensive.

I get the idea of using it to get more exposure, but why run the risk of people realizing you're a fraud? Or better yet, what if you really think you're getting an original verse and you find out you just got some recycled shit?

I personally think it's a terrible idea for an artist's credibility
    test
  10. HipHopInYoHood

HipHopInYoHood Member

No. You missed the point completely. It's about getting media attention. Once you're on they're radar (and the song is good), then you can look to those outlets for interviews, exclusive posting, etc. A lot of you guys can't see past "the ego" and look at it from a marketing standpoint. You stand to gain exposure to an audience of at least 20 million eyeballs if you get in "rotation" and in those blog networks. That's not worth it?
    test
  11. Oneduh

Oneduh Digital Scale Ent.

test
  12. Ace the Prophet

Nah, I get the idea...I just think that makes you completely fraudulent to your audience and helps lose all your credibility in a genre where originality is usually celebrated and generic shit is left for the ignorant crowd that only listens to the beat as long as you say something stereotypical over it.

It's like thinking you're buying a new car, telling people you're buying a new car, then getting it only to realize it has 100,000 miles on it, and then still telling people it's new. That shit's gonna break down on you sooner rather than later and you're gonna look like a fool
    test
  13. HipHopInYoHood

HipHopInYoHood Member

Dude. It depends on the level where you want to go. If you just want to be LOCAL, and not "break" onto the scene. Then I can definitely get where people would call you a "fraud". But if you're looking to do things on a NATIONAL scale, it's a PAY TO PLAY GAME. Bottom line. Everybody who has a name charges for verses. DJ's charge to host mixtapes/spin records. Producers charge for beats (that they might sale 1000 times over). It's a business.

The only way an artist will do a "swap" with another artist is if their fanbases are at least equal. It has to be beneficial to both parties.

And then LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE CALLING an artist A FRAUD FOR. Who in the past 5 years has been called a "fraud", on a national scale, not local, for buying verses lol

People get called frauds for rapping about "thug life" and not really being about it...Or reppin a block and not being from there...but not on some "oh he bought a verse that was here and then here"...not gonna damage your "credibility" not one bit.
    test
  14. J o o k

J o o k Win your battles before they’ve even been fought.

Hipity hop making a lot of sense right now tbh.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. Ace the Prophet

I understand that everyone charges for verses, that's common knowledge. It's the fact that people will willingly pay for recycled verses that gets me. Pay to play is obvious on a big scale. Still, there's no damn way that I'm paying for a verse from someone prominent when I've never met them or anything because of the likelihood that the verse has been used before. I'd hate that shit.

Now if I'm paying for a collab from someone who I actually speak to and can get my ideas out to and work on something original from there, then yeah, the money's worth it when I can collaborate with them. But I'm not trying to pay for what's most likely a recycled verse...that's what I'm getting at. And no, those dudes haven't been big in the past few years because of the fact that they're frauds that can't build themselves up correctly
    test
  16. HipHopInYoHood

HipHopInYoHood Member

One fraud who has 'built himself correctly', could be Rick Ross...Was a CO...everyone found out. Still selling records and selling out shows. Another 'fraud'...Game...cried on camera, pics of him being a male stripper..was on a gameshow crying...butterfly tatt on his face...still selling out records and selling out shows...Wayne, robbed multiple times, called a fake blood by countless real bloods..still selling out records....still selling out shows.

I get where you're coming from about actually "working" with an artist, but that's going to cost you extra lol.

And you keep harping on "keeping it real" with your "fans". I don't mean any disrespect, but just judging from your social network profiles via reverbnation I think you need to be in "fan acquisition" mode, and not "retention"...There are millions of more people out there that have never heard your music.

The pros definitely outweigh the "cons" here. I'm just trying to get you (and everybody else reading) to see that.
    test
  17. Ace the Prophet

lol, as far as social networks I never said I was up there at all and didn't claim to be. I'm just saying that's not how I would want to build my fan base because of what I value as far as MCing goes. Same with buying likes/followers/views. Nothing like checking out a youtube video with 30,000 views and 4 comments.

And if it costs extra then fuck it. At least you're getting a real verse from someone who's really going to work with you
    test
  18. HipHopInYoHood

HipHopInYoHood Member

yeah i know you never claimed to be "poppin online", and didn't mean anything personal or disrespectful by mentioning it. I was just using you as a live example because psychologically, a lot of artists are where you are. Mentally, "keep it real", "my fans","what will people think", but when in reality...the bottomline is, you got to get poppin.

Before all of those "mental politics"you keep on fighting within yourself keep you "boxed in", you have to get poppin first.

Buying a feature shouldn't 'make or break' your career anyway. BUT, to each his own.
    test
  19. Zero-D

Zero-D Brilliance Unparalleled

no way jose.
    test
  20. g.t.

g.t. RM Radio Host

I'd only buy a verse from someone famous on two conditions:

1. I was trying hard to sell something.
    2. The person agreed to use my emcee name within the verse, or at least the intro or outro to the verse.
    test