Mayweather: "I Want to Face Pacquiao" - Rips Bob Arum

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Makabreli, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. appeared before the press for the first leg of his promotional tour for the welterweight clash with WBC champion Victor Ortiz, which is set for September 17 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. When Mayweather stepped to the mic to address the press, he openly discussed the issues behind a potential fight with Manny Pacquiao and how both of them need to take random Olympic drug tests in order to make their fight happen. And he also spoke about his issues with former promoter Bob Arum, the CEO of Top Rank.

"I want to let the fans know, Floyd Mayweather don't duck of dodge anyone. And this is for the fans and the Pacquiao fans too. Do I want the Pacquiao fight? Absolutley. If that's what the fans want, that's what I'll give them, but I can't overlook Victor Ortiz. He's tough and he's earned the right. Out of 29 fights, he's had 22 knockouts. I don't want to hear that he lost before, because right now he's world champion," Mayweather said.

"I just want to touch on this because everybody wants to know the situation. And it's not just Pacquiao, it's sports period. If you go look at sports in the Olympics, they're cheating. Everyone is cheating. And I never once said Manny Pacquiao was cheating. I just said that me and any opponent that I face, must take the test. Not only in the sport of boxing, there is just cheating in sports period. HBO could have already made the fight happen by stepping and saying 'both of you take the test' and this fight would have happened."

"I never discredited Manny Pacquiao. He was in the sport before me. When I came into the sport of boxing in 96, they said this kid is going to be a superstar. You never just see a kid in the middle of his career become a star. Now I'm not taking anything away from him. When I was with Bob Arum, I was the greatest thing that ever lived. All of a sudden, I learned the sport of boxing and went on my own and made my own company and didn't want to deal with a middleman, and then all of a sudden it's like 'he's ducking all of these fighters.' But all of these fighters that they say I'm ducking happen to be Bob Arum fighters. Sometimes they seem to forget about Bob Arum doing bribery. I just want everyone to open their minds."
    test
  2. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I am slightly concerned about this fight. Floyd has struggled with southpaws in the past so this could be a very difficult fight for him. Plus, he doesn't seem in to it like he normally does. I wonder if he is mentally still committed to boxing.
    test
  3. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

I understand your concerns,but I think Victor is tailor made for Floyd.

1) Victor is considered a dangerous fighter in his prime,which eclipses the public perception of Sugar Shane Mosley...both Pac's and Money's latest victim.But Money fought Sugar Shane after Shane had huge momentum from crushing Margarito,and Sugar Shane was more mentally certain he'd beat Floyd than he was that he'd beat Manny; and not because he thought Manny was a better fighter.It's because Shane got totally outboxed by Floyd and fought a lackluster fight vs Sergio Mora which I think Sugar Shane won and got robbed out of,and then got dominated again by Manny. Going into the Manny fight? Sugar Shane wasn't mentally as strong as he'd just lost to Floyd,was pilloried by fans for his fight with Mora and his divorce from Jin was digging ever deeper into his pockets. Going into the Floyd fight? He'd been riding high public opinion and a crushing victory over the previously unstoppable Margarito.Maybe (probably) Shane overtrained,but Money would've gotten him anyway****us...to me...there's still the question of whether or not Manny's on P.E.D.s.Having been in the kickboxing gym and on the grappling mats with people on steroids and other P.E.D.s,I can tell you that it really makes a difference that you can see and feel.No kidding.And to me? All but one of the things that Manny has shown could be the result of proper coaching,diet and growing into his body.The one thing that can't be quite explained is how he's recovering so fast from blows from bigger men and is able to respond with such crackling power punches.That's just too far of a stretch; it's very fishy or Manny has been truly truly blessed by God. The general public,though,doesn't know enough about true skilled fighting,the things you learn in the gym from such a pursuit and the intricacies of performance enhancement to be able to call "foul" on Manny with enough insistence to make him kowtow to testing demands.

All I know is that the people who don't like tests are the people who are the users.

2) Victor Ortiz is aggresive,strong,deficient defensively,tactically nowhere in Floyd's league,slower of hand and foot,and has exactly the style that Floyd has in the past and will in the future exploit again.

3) Victor Ortiz just got off of a punishing fight with Andre Berto,whereas Floyd has been recuperating from his fight with Mosley for a year or so.He's fresh and uninjured,and prolly pissed from his court proceedings.He'll be focused on this fight,and the fact that he's Black and Victor is Latino will add to the hardcore PPV sales that usually attend a fight when the #1 p4p fighter--which Floyd is--fights.

4) Victor was getting regularly hit by Berto,so Floyd will most def find him in the ring. I predict Floyd will win this fight by a 9-3 margin,unanimous decision.
    test
  4. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

^^^well put

but anyway a lot of people seem to think mayweather is ducking people time after time again. but mayweather is one of the best boxers of our era, despite whether u think he is the most entertaining. i dont think he is ducking pacquiao, and that him asking for the test is reasonable. not that i think pacquiao is using steriods though. i hope this fight happens because if it doesn't then boxing will always debate who was the best
    test
  5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

as far as ortiz goes, mayweather will beat him easily like he does with everybody, stickin and moving. the fact that he is southpaw mayweather will adjust quickly if need be, may lose a round or two but thats it
    test
  6. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

We'll see, He's 34, just took another year and half lay off before this fight, and admits he hasn't been in the gym training. Honestly this is the first opponent in years i feel has a legit shot at beating floyd right now. A lot of unknown factors, but floyd is still the better boxer by light years, but this is boxing and this is a more dangerous fight than people are giving credit.
    test
  7. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

Floyd being 34 has little to do with anything,as being 34 still empowers him with energy vigor and youth.Nowadays athletes perform at peak levels up to and more and more oftentimes THROUGH their 40's. Age is nonissue. I don't see Floyd even considering a fight vs Ortiz and not doing the pretraining requisite for such a match; remember you guys that Floyd trains with old skool ethic.He stays 147 or thereabouts year round,and he keeps a fine tuning workout regime equivalent to about 1/4 of his training regime year round.This keeps him fit and 147 pounds,which of course makes the rigors of his training camps far easier to bear and extends his career by years.

Vicious Victor Ortiz is vicious. He's a pressure fighter,stronger than anyone Floyd has ever faced,he's a southpaw and he comes to win with power in both hands. His fatal flaw is that he's defensively poor,lacks footwork ring generalship and the tools of the master craftman...and he doesn't have a jab that can duel with Floyd's jab.If you don't have a potent jab,you have no chance of beating Floyd. Like I said,Floyd wins this 9-3 on UD
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.