Mayhem Miller Cut

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by DemiGod, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Yeah, but not because of his amazing jiu jitsu.
    test
  2. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

He had good jiu-jitsu, and multiple wins via submission previously.

He certainly didn't have bad jiu-jitsu.
    test
  3. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

^False statement.
    test
  4. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Hughes has good jiu jitsu, but the move he pulled off takes a bad move by the opponent.

My point here is not to knock Hughes at all, but that GSP ended up in a spot which he hasn't ended up in since. In other words, that was a different GSP. A GSP that took risks.
    test
  5. Makabreli

Makabreli done

I never make false statements, but in this case those were some of the truest words I've ever typed and I don't know how you can dispute that. If you wish to, be my guest. I am a reasonable man and I love to talk combat sports.

The absolute first trace of the monster GSP was against Frank Trigg, but just fights later he was back kickboxing BJ Penn to a controversial decision win.

What happened in the second Penn fight? kickboxing? haha, no. one of the most dominant displays of horizontal beatdown. Even his second fight with Hughes was a kickboxing win. We were starting to see GSP the kickboxer until a man by the name of Matt Serra lubed up and fucked his equilibrium. What happened in that rematch? One of the most brutal displays of horizontal beating this side of Fedor. Third Hughes fight? Already proved he could beat him standing, but still took it to the ground and tied the old fart in a pretzel. Fitch? Wrestlefucked the wrestlefucker. Alves? Wrestlefucking, injured his groin, started to take the fight other places. Hardy? A classic take it to the ground and take few chances victory.

Before the injury we were starting to see his head on swoll after training with Freddie Roach, and it worked against Koscheck. Jake fucking Shields managed to take at least a round from GSP kickboxing.

The point: his standup isn't terrible, but the wrestleraping is his bread and butter, and when it comes to that he hit his stride post Matt Serra.
    test
  6. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Whether or not people like the way it looks, GSP neutralizes everyone and makes them tired. He wins fights, and until someone really dominates him I can't say someone is better than him in that division yet.
    test
  7. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

^^^thats a great statement right there.

gsp neutralizes opponents which makes him nearly unbeatable and impossible to look good against.

what neutralizes mma fighters? wrestling.

on the feet what neutralizes strikers? a lunging jab

the only thing ive seen beat someone great at neutralizing is pressure. in gsp's case im looking for someone who is gonna go balls out, throw gsp on his back, and make it an ugly street fight.

anybody trying to look for the ko or just survive has no chance
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah, fans are always hoping for a Mixed Martial Artist to constantly be looking for knock outs with some Wong Fei punch or whatever. The only guys I could really see beating GSP sylistically even as stacked as the division is are Nick Diaz and possibly BJ Penn if he gets his shit together and doesn't show up fat. I doubt that fight will ever happen, and GSP would likely be too mysteriously "sweaty" for BJ Penn to work on submissions, because you know, BJ Penn is relatively new at this submission art thing.

Assuming GSP hasn't totally gone lazy during this time off, Rory MacDonald would lose to GSP the same way Fitch did. Kampmann would go from fierce firey toughguy fighter to pinned on the mat unable to do anything fighter. So would Hendricks. Let's just be honest for a minute here.

Jake Shields has good enough grappling to finish GSP, but until he really develops his striking, he's going to have a seriously hard time making people anticipate anything other than a clinch attempt or a takedown attempt or a goofy looking leg kick.
    test
  9. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

And I'd make one correction, a quick reflex takedown is really what neutralizes striking. As soon as you throw yourself slightly off balance for a big kick or overhand strike you put yourself at risk for being put on your back, exactly why Silva will more than likely be looking for a second submission win against Sonnen.
    test
  10. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Which brings me back to my original point.

GSP learned, I expected Mayhem to do the same, at a relatively similar pace, since they seemed so evenly matched at the time.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.