Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Wrectify1, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Is anyone else stuck on the part where you have to disarm 4 demolition bombs, yet, your being attacked heavily. How does one get past this? I ALMOST did it once...but..i can't find the 4th bomb. Yet they only give u 4 minutes to do this. This is hard.
    test
  2. Vikto Beats

Vikto Beats aka Viktomajarmo

Just keep goin the way you went for the 3rd bomb, its right near it. Look at your radar, you'll see the lil marker.
    test
  3. Vikto Beats

Vikto Beats aka Viktomajarmo

Wait sorry, the 3rd bomb leads you the wrong way, you gotta go left after the 3rd one. Theres a pathway goin down with a bunch of dudes. It looks like you gotta go that way but the bombs are just left of that.
    test
  4. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

I think they show up on your radar......
    test
  5. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

How much do you game?
    test
  6. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

4 hours a week maybe, why? I'm finishing up my Master's thesis...so I haven't had a lot of time. I usually try to play during weekends.
    test
  7. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Reason I asked is because you don't seem like you game that much.

what are you researching exactly?
    test
  8. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I'm being awarded a Master's Degree in Chemistry with a concentration in Organic Chemistry next month. My research was in Organophosphorus Chemistry. Me and the wife will be moving next month....Not to mention that I start my new job the day after I graduate. Got married in October..etc....

So Yea, I am considered a "casual" gamer now. Back when I was younger, I did play a lot of games but when you get older...you just don't have time nor the patience for it anymore. I'll always enjoy videogames though...some of these new games are just getting a bit crazy though. You have to memorize too many button combinations and actions. My xbox live profile had me listed as causal...when I did have xbox live...I haven't the time to be on Live though.
    test
  9. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

You scientists are funny. You all can remember the periodic table, the polymeric knowledge of our DNA AND RNA, but when it comes to memorizing buttons for a video game you're completely at a lose.

Can't the stable oxidation of phosphorous produce ligands which are organic and inorganic in nature?
    test
  10. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Actually, noone ever "remembers" the periodic table. They only make you do that in high school. It's only important to to be cognizant of the "periodic trends of the elements"...atomic size increases down a column..etc. Abt phosphorus, yea, a lot of stable inorganic and organic phosphorus compounds exist in nature. Ever heard of Adenosine Triphosphate(ATP)? It's a very important phosphorus based molecule in ur body. It undergoes a mechanism to transfer phosphoryl groups to other molecules in ur body in your metabolic pathways. Phosphorus violates the octet rule..so...it can be oddballish at times. Its most happy being pentavalent, it can be nucleophilic as trivalent phopshorus which was useful to me. But anything less than that.....it can form a HIGHLY explosive compound. Look up "white phosphorus".....it is phosphorus with two substituents attached...It will literally pull the oxygen out of your lungs to satisfy it's "octet". You will die of asphyxiation. Other phosphorus compound react with atmospheric moisture and the reaction is so exothermic...that explosions result. There are also HIGHLY toxic pentavalent phosphorus compounds like Sarin which are potent acetylcholinesterase inhibitors which will give you violent muscle twitches and death. The starting compounds that I made closely resemble Sarin...with some of them...if you even get a drop on your finger..you will get muscle twitches. Dangerous stuff.

Anyway....memorizing the buttons for a videogame requires something different. It doesn't require intelligence....it's more so coordination. It's just like learning to drive a car...you have to watch traffic, operate the gas and brake pedals..turn the wheel..etc. Videogames nowadays have gotten even more complicated than that. I don't have a problem "memorizing" single move buttons........but..when you have to use 3 button combinations..etc...it becomes a cumbersome task to get used to. Most people don't want to spend an entire week trying to first learn the controls of a game...that defeats the purpose of a "game". For a true videogame..the learning curve should not be too steep...it should be something u can pick up and play.
    test
  11. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

you should like mass effect.....dudes who made all got phd's in medicine....
    test
  12. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Yea, I've been playing mass effect....it's not too bad i guess. Just gotta sit through too much dialogue. Not enough action.
    test
  13. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

well it is an rpg....
    test
  14. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

What do you mean noone remembers the periodic table? I'm specially talking about chemist not laymen. What about the knowledge of elements mixing together to form other elements? You have to remember where the Gases, Liquids, and soilds, elements separate. After all it does serve the purpose of providing the three states of matter. Not to mention, which elements may both exist as soilds and liquids. Least we not forget the extended periodic table as well. I would think remembering the trends of atomic size and the periodic table in general would be equally as important to a chemist? The perodic table is the framework for systematizing, classifing, and comparing all the different forms of chemical behavior. The table also has (to the best of my knowledge) relevancy to biologist, physicists, and engineers. Am I wrong? The whole perodic package to me seems like important things a chemist should remember.

I know, It's a substance present in all living cells that provides energy for many metabolic processes and is involved in making RNA.

I know what white phosphorus is and its affects. But that's not what I'm interested me. The question I'm asking is WHAT'S THE PURPOSE of your research? Seems to me, everything about phosphorus is already known. So what are you adding to it? have you discovered something new? Or did you just have to write an eassy on it, or are you bring some kind of new functional capability to the table on phosphorus for peer-review? Seems to me, you're writing a paper on chemical warfare and the explosive affects of white phosphorus compounds reacting to atmospheric moisture. I didn't mean to get all off topic and everything, but I was interested in
    what is you are specifically doing.

So you have trouble with Multi-tasking? And with motor skills?
    Well, At least you have Organic Chemistry to fall back on.
    test
  15. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Menaz, there are times where you come off as very offensive....other times as if you are omniscient. As humans, none of us are omniscient...it's important for you and all mortals to realize that. We all could stand to learn something new everyday. I just thought I'd point that out to you. With that said.....

Menaz, I am an organic chemist. I've taken just about every chemistry class known to man(Organic, Inorganic, Physical, Structure Determination etc). I'm not a Ph.D, but I am close to being an expert in my field. Concerning phosphorus, no, everything is not known about phosphorus. It's reactivity can be predicted yes, but, I do not deal SOLELY with elemental phosphorus...my research is based upon the "organic chemistry of phosphorus containing hydrocarbons". My compounds consists mainly of Carbon, Phosphorus, Hydrogen and Oxygen. Organophosphorus chemistry is such a hot area of organic chemistry because it's very difficult chemistry AND the reactions of such compounds cannot be predicted. Yet, Organophosphorus compounds are most useful in multistep Natural Products syntheses not to mention that the worlds leading AIDS drug is an organophosphorus compound.

Speaking of writing a paper....I had to write a MASTER'S THESIS..which is essentially a book that can range from 80-200 typed pages.

Like I told you, ..I deal with chemistry everyday....It's only necessary to memorize the "periodic trends" of the elements. I have a HUGE periodic table posted on the wall in my laboratory. Concerning what is a solid, liquid, or gas. It's called www.sigmaaldrich.com, the company that we order our chemicals from....they give you all of that information.

Lastly, I don't have trouble with multitasking.....nor are my motor skills in question. To be proficient in a laboratory setting....you must be good at both. I have taught several lab sections...so I know this. I don't have Organic Chemistry to "fall back on"......I went to college to become a chemist.....and that's what I am.

Dude, seriously, there is a learning curve for everything.....with videogames....there is a curve...with learning chemistry...there is a learning curve. Just because something appears easy to you(which I highly doubt it is), doesn't mean that someone is physically nor intellectually challenged.
    test
  16. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Yea, I understand that. I've played Final Fantasy before....it wasn't this slow in terms of stuff to do.
    test
  17. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

i'm 9 hours into the game allready.....damn....

i'm only on the first planet (well technically 3rd i guess.....)
    test
  18. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

There is absolutely no reason to get judgemental and defensive. I have nothing against you. I don't even know you. I was only trying to get to know you. We've never had a problem on this site. I've never once claimed to be omniscient, but I have studied some biochemistry. I was only trying to find out more about what it is you know on the subject that I don't. Which is why I asked you about your master thesis. I was only wondering if you planned on expanding on your work afterwards so you can get it peer-reviewed. I Thought you were on to something new so I was interested.

Sorry, I don't consider asking a organic chemist questions about what they're working on to be offensive. Could it be you're taking everything I say the wrong way? Why is it I can't be carious about what you were doing?After all, I was only asking you what it is you were doing because I was interested. I can see now you don't like to talk about it. So I won't. You just seem like you had alot of time on your hands to explain a little bit of it to me.

When have I implied differently? If this is who you claim to be I have to take you at your word. Because this is the internet and I can't prove a negative when it comes to what screne names claim. I either believe them or I don't then move on. Obviously, I'm asking you questions about your profession.

Do you have days, weeks, months or years left to go?

I asked you what is you're working on. And you keep giving me vague answers or stuff that is already known. All I know so far is: "my research is based upon the organic chemistry of phosphorus containing hydrocarbons". My compounds consists mainly of Carbon, Phosphorus, Hydrogen and Oxygen." And so, I beg the question what is the purpose of this research suppose to concluded by working with these elements? Are trying to utilize Organic synthesis to paralyze Aids/HIV? Did you discover how to attack a complex molecule's unreactive carbon-hydrogen bonds? Did you have to follow Markovnikov's rules? Did you come up with any interesting formulas?

And what is the Worlds leading AIDS DRUG CALLED? I'm not really a true believer in Pharmaceuticals I've advocated instead that blood banks should use electricity to zap HIV, and vaccine developers use electrically incapacitated viruses as the basis for an AIDS vaccine. For scientists working to create contraceptive devices that repel sperm with electricity. Infact, i've discovered Dr. Lyman's research work involved an in vitro & in vivo human Blood Electrification process, which electronically sterilizes the blood, resulting in all known pathogens, including bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungus, being completely eliminated! The promise of this technology is it could lead to tests of implantable electrical devices or dialysis-like blood treatments in HIV-infected patients.

You'll have to let me read a few excerpts from it some time in the future.

You have the extended periodic table as well I gather? See, I knew having a periodic table was also necessary.

Did I ask you to provide documentation of your college courses, inorder for me to comfirm you're an organic chemist? Or was I simplely asking you questions about what it is you're specifically doing?

You have to understand my postion here, you made a very obtuse analogy about how your multi-tasking and motor skills weren't compatible with learning how to function on more than one thing at a time. Thus, I came to the conclusion you have a problem with multi-tasking and motor skills. I guess, you don't. Perhaps, nexttime, you should just say: I really don't care to learn it. Thus, not putting me in the awkward postion of thinking your analogy was obtuse. I wasn't implying anything unusally in relationship to the conversation given your context. Why are you reacting this way to someone who was just interested? I was only thinking about what you told me, you made it sound like you had problems with mutli-tasking and motor skills. As if it was a learning curve you couldn't grasp no matter how hard you tried. However, You've seemed to have rectified the misconception with a basic, no.
    test
  19. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Yea, maybe it's the wording....if I took offense to it, I am sorry. That is the difference between speaking and typing...things can easily be taken out of context.

Well, hopefully..this will answer your question. My research focused on the Michaelis-Becker synthesis of phosphonates. We wanted to use a softer base(Cesium Carbonate) instead of strong, anhydrous bases such as sodium hydride. The paper that me and my adviser found in the Journal of Organic Chemistry made a claim that these phosphonates could be synthesized via the Michaelis-Becker route using the mild inorganic base cesium carbonate.....they also reported high yields from these reactions. Well, I gave that a go for a while....but....we didn't have too much success with that. So, we tried a different base...the organic base potassium tert-butoxide...which functioned well...but...the yields still turned out to be pretty bad. I synthesized 12 compounds via this route. But, I did manage to cut the reaction time down a bit..which was a plus. That was essentially my research project. The synthesis part was easy...but...purifying them was most difficult. We weren't trying to make any drugs though. We were just attempting to improve a known reaction. Hopefully this helps.

Concerning my degree, I graduate December 16th.

With regard to pharmaceuticals...I absolutely agree..I don't believe in drug synthesis. They appear to cause more harm than good. I don't even want to take part in synthesizing drugs......It just goes against my belief as well.

The AIDS drug, which is a phosphonate, is called Viread. It was synthesized by a company that I interviewed with, Glilead Sciences in California.

You said you took Biochemistry? So, you've had the sophomore organic sequence I take it?
    test
  20. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Agreed.

That was much clearer. last questions, How much did you cut the reaction time down? how high did the cesium carbonate yeld percentage turn out? And what was your potassium tert-butoxide yeld percentage?

Pharmaceuticals are just the bureaucratic way of ignoring the cure, so they can make bank off their placebo-like substitutions. Because curing deadly viral infections would lead to pharmaceutical companies losing profit, which would keep them from further expanding their drug business decade after decade. Thus, The pharmaceutical process is nothing more than a continuum of care which they can bank billions off. Good to see we agree.

I'm sure you've heard of nevirapine. Anyway, one randomised controlled trial found that nevirapine given twice daily to babies for 7 days after birth reduced HIV transmission at 6 to 8 weeks compared with a single dose of nevirapine given to babies immediately after birth. Point being, Media will report the drug can cure HIV, but the fact is, it will only reduce HIV transmission by 50%. Synthesized drugs do cures a great injustice.

Naw, I didn't say that, I said "I" studied it. And I have. I probabally should have took it, but civics, middleastern politics, philosophy, and history concerned me more back then. However, I have been a compulsive reader on the subject for some time. I've read books by Donald Voet, Bruce Alberts, Frederick Bettelheim, and a few peer-reviews on biochemistry & molecular biology. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I understand some of it to a degree. Which is why I was interested in learning what you were up too.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.