Mass Effect 3 (Thoughts So far)

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by OurSin, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Figured I'd give my opinion on one of the most anticipated games of the year (for me as well as many others).

This is NOT A REVIEW as I am only a quarter of the way through the game.

Well first off I’m only about 20 hours in, and I’m the type of player that takes my time with these games so I’m probably only 10-15 hours in lol. So far i have to say, the game is a bit of a disappointment. I'm not saying the game is bad by any means, but the bar set by ME 2 has not been reached (at least not in the amount of time that I’ve been in the game so far). But before I get into the bad, I’ll talk about what i felt is improved in the game. The main improvement is the combat; in this game it just feels right. It's not quite gears of war, or COD, but the tweaks to the movement and cover mechanics make it a lot more fluid and dynamic. For example, the ability to role is probably the biggest addition to this game I’ve found so far. You will no longer feel swarmed or stuck in a corner when close range opponents move in, as you now have the ability to dodge and move quickly, which is a godsend as a vanguard.

Now let me get into the parts of the game I feel like aren’t living up to high expectations set by the previous game. Side quests have always been a major factor for my enjoyment in mass effect, and the high quality of the optional missions in ME 2 are sadly lacking in the third installment. Where as in 2 you felt like you were doing these missions to help out characters that you’ve grown to know, at least in some way by having engaging in dialog trees, most of the side missions in the first 15-20 hours are boring fetch quests given to you on the citadel by random conversations you over hear. Yes, random conversations that you don’t actually engage in yourself and often feel disjointed from and uninterested in. If you enjoyed pressing the A button while talking to DLC characters and getting disjointed responses in ME 2, you may enjoy this new way of questing, I for one did not. These missions typically involve scanning a planet or running around the citadel from point to point clicking the A button, think kingdoms of amalar demo. This isn’t to say that all quests are like this, these are optional but if you are like me and want to do everything possible the tedium is more than a bit annoying. It must be mentioned that a lot of these quests when they do involve combat, take place on circular maps that appear to be made for multiplayer. This is fine for combat, but in a game where finding extra loot and exploring an area completely is key, the lack of a map during these situations left me feeling as if I was running around aimlessly in a circle. I’ve never had a problem figuring out quest objectives in a ME game before, so this became quite a bit frustrating for me.

Dialog choices in this game have also been toned down quite a bit. That isn’t to say it isn’t filled with a lot of choices, but I couldn’t help but notice that responses in character dialog would be chosen for me more often than before leaving me feeling a lot less control over my character. I also feel, at least playing as a renegade (the equivalent of the dark side or amoral character) that a lot of the dialog doesn’t feel true to my character from the previous games. And a lot of the renegade options are confusing as to what your character will actually say or do. My character in the previous games was a renegade but still close to his squad, so far I feel like you can’t do both which is a real bummer. Hopefully it’s still too early to conclude and this will change as the game progresses.

Gripes aside, this is not a bad game, and I must reiterate that I have not played enough to make a full review and these are just observations made as I have been playing through so far and aren’t indicative of my final review. In fact, maybe next to skyrim, this is still the best RPG experience I’ve had in the past year or 2. If you’ve played ME1 or 2, then you will definitely still enjoy this game, just don’t expect it to blow either out the water, and approach this game on its own merits. (Ironic as I’ve spent this whole time comparing it to the previous game lol, but you get my point I hope)

If i were to rate this game so far, it'd be an 8/10 but there is still time for it to change my opinion and i also haven't touched the multi-player yet.

I may do a full review if you guys would want one, let me know
    test
  2. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Oh yeah, and the biggest thing that i forgot to mention in the original post is, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER YOUR GAME FACE IF YOU"VE BEEN PLAYING SINCE ME1.

I had to take pictures of my original character and do the best i could to recreate him in the game smh. This is a glitch though, not a design flaw, so hopefully this will be patched
    test
  3. BEEF Z

BEEF Z New Member

Just completed it. Was expecting more of an action packed finish but was still good. Just gotta get the other 2 endings now!
    test
  4. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Well the game never really got passed the initial complaints i had, the side quests were tedious and ruined the pace of the game. But a few key moments still shined in the single player, some big set pieces, and some tough decisions down the stretch. The mulitplayer is very nice however, it's addictive. I might have put as many hours or more in it than i did the regular game. I would rather have had them take it out and put more time into tuning the single player though.

Ending is controversial, i didn't mind it but a lot of people hate it
    test
  5. BEEF Z

BEEF Z New Member

Yeah i love multiplayer, think im level 101 or something now.
    test
  6. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

I'm level 60, leveled up the adept, vanguard and Engineer.
    test
  7. BEEF Z

BEEF Z New Member

122 now. Playing against reapers on silver is a biiiiitch, fuckin hate banshees and ravengers
    test
  8. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Depends on your squad, lot of scrubs on this game lol.
    test
  9. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Recent news, there will be Free DLC which adds content to the ending for all the whining fanboys
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.