Martial Arts Myths Discredited By The UFC?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Crates, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

the master is he who can apply any given technique that is most effective in any arrising situation.

brocks style is very incomplete...someone physically strong with great stand up and cardio would demolis him badly. someone like overeem or fedor with great experiance..not a rookie like carwin has hasnt even been into the 2nd round..because even on the ground brock wouldnt have his way that easy with him..and thats if he even gets him to the ground as he wishes..
    test
  2. Crack Sabb

Crack Sabb Maca Survivor, baby.

Brock's human, but wrestlers are the only people in mma who can still get away with being one dimensional on a consistent basis. Overeem doesn't win a lot of fights from his back and Fedor has shown weakness against superior wrestlers (even his sambo loss was due to mostly wrestling).
    test
  3. Crack Sabb

Soft techniques in general have proven effective in MMA under the right cirumstances. Sometimes they can be tough to use in MMA because 1.) there is no clothing to grab in the octagon and 2.) opponents generally have an understanding of how to fight. Even soft arts like judo and jiu jitsu that have proven effective in mma sometimes aren't quite as effective as they are with gis and without fists.

I personally believe there are still a lot of arts and techniques out there that have been relatively untapped, and most of them will likely stay untapped because mma trainers stick with the tried and true. Cung Le came along and proved that San Shou can be effective in an mma fight, but there still hasn't been a wave of great practicioners following in his footsteps.

Another thing to consider is that maybe the masters of certain things just haven't tried mma. For example, look at people good at boxing in mma and look at people good at boxing in boxing. Big difference. Maybe it's the same with kung fu.
    test
  4. Crack Sabb

Speaking of boxing, I know Shane Mosley likes to compare technique to fencing quite a bit. Just throwing that out there.
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I train in a soft, internal style. In striking that technique is used minimally in the form of parrying, but to really receive and redirect effectively, the opponent has to commit to the punch in a way that a skilled, cautious fighter would avoid early on.

Kung Fu is... odd. The really skilled practitioners kind of look down on MMA, claiming that if they participated in it, they'd just dominate and kill them. Personally I think some might consider it a threat. Maybe they could win, maybe not - But one loss and your reputation is gone, so they probably won't. So you get bums who have trained Kung Fu for five minutes and can't display what capabilities their style has.

Plus, these things go in cycles. Kung Fu was huge for years after Bruce Lee got famous, then the Karate Kid came out, then the UFC got big... etc. etc. Nobody is really going into Kung Fu any more, so it won't be tested any time soon unless someone who already has a lot of skill comes through and wins a title, like Machida with Karate.
    test
  6. Crack Sabb

Yeah, Kung Fu is one of the more dogmatic popular disciplines.

Bruce Lee caught shit his whole life for teaching it to americans and then for making changes, so he had a love/hate relationship with tradition.

I've never practiced Kung fu that thoroughly, but i've dabbled in it and read quite a bit about it, and I truly believe it teaches some good things. I know that yours and your opponent's balance are issues in kung fu, and that's the same in any good discipline.
    test
  7. Crack Sabb

To add to a point I made earlier about MMA being incomplete: anyone billed as a jeet kune do fighter is a joke.

Although Jeet Kune Do essentially preached cross-training, it was also never intended to be for sport. One of the first things Bruce Lee would teach you if he was alive today is how to strengthen your fingers in order to poke someone in the eyes.
    test
  8. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

We'll see next UFC, Anderson Silva has been training with Steven Segal for his next fight. lmao
    test
  9. Crack Sabb

ha. He trains capoeira too, so at best it will result in more clowning by anderson if anything.
    test
  10. Namor

Namor Prodigal Sun-god

Takagi Yoshin ryu is a Budo style that was used by the Samurai in feudal Japan as well as others...

there are modern Budo styles that are "budo" in name only like Judo or kenjutsu which don't have the same historic significance
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.