March 2012 In Combat Sports (Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing News/Rankings/Streams)

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Makabreli, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

K-1 Grand Prix To Return In 2012 According To It's Showtime

PRESS RELEASE: IT'S SHOWTIME closes deal with new K-1 organization.

With immediate effect, IT'S SHOWTIME closed a multi-year deal with the new owner of the K-1 label, Mr. Mike Kim. The company of Mr. Kim is called K-1 Global and is established in Hong Kong.

Even though this new company didn't have any obligations towards our company and our fighters, K-1 Global has paid all of our fighters this week. This means that every fighter received a signing bonus which consists of 50% of the money that was still owed to them by the old company FEG.

K-1 will organize 4 big events already this year, including the final 16 and final 8 in the 70kg and heavyweight division. The bonuses the fighters can win will be astronomically high, but we leave it up to the company of K-1 Global to announce these amounts. We will also leave it up to them to announce the event schedule, but three weeks from now everything will be announced.

The following fighters have already signed a contract with K-1 on behalf of IT'S SHOWTIME: Daniel Ghita, Tyrone Spong, Hesdy Gerges, Paul Slowinski, Rico Verhoeven, Anderson ‘Braddock' Silva, Ben Edwards, Melvin Manhoef, Sergii Lashchenko, Mourad Bouzidi, Dzevad Poturak, Chahid Oulad El Hadj, Gago Drago and Andy Ristie.

Contracts which are ready to be signed with K-1 this week: Ruslan Karaev, Harut Grigorian, Chris Ngimbi, etc.

There have been several contracts signed with other big names in kickboxing, but these are not under contract with IT'S SHOWTIME, so we wait for K-1 Global to announce these names.

We are very happy with these positive developments in our sport and for all fighters in the world who now get the possibilities to show their talent in K-1.

Simon Rutz
    IT'S SHOWTIME
    test
  2. Makabreli

Makabreli done

UFC 149 Expected To Take Place in Calgary On July 21st

It appears that the UFC will be coming to Alberta for the first time later this year. Various media sources are reporting that UFC 149 is penciled in for July 21st in Calgary, just one week after the Calgary Stampede. The National Post shares a little insight:

The company is targeting July 21 for UFC 149 at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary. The building would be able to accommodate roughly 20,000 people for the event, an expected sellout which would be broadcast live on pay-per-view.

The card has not been officially announced by the company, although in a newly released UFC media guide, the July 21 pay-per-view in Calgary was listed as an upcoming event. Industry sources also confirmed the plan to Postmedia News.

Alberta has hosted one Zuffa event in the past, when World Extreme Cagefighting ran WEC 49 in Edmonton in June of 2010. That card was originally scheduled for Calgary, but there was a problem with booking the venue (the event was to take place in the Calgary Corral, not the Saddledome) and it was moved north instead. There are no fights rumored for the card as of yet, but you can bet that it will be stocked with Canadian fighters.
    test
  3. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Rampage Jackson Unhappy With UFC, Says He's Leaving After Next Fight

Quinton Jackson, who is coming off a loss to Ryan Bader in Japan, is currently vacationing in Pampanga, which is one of the provinces in the Philippines. During his stay in the country, Rampage has sent out a few interesting tweets. The former UFC champion, who has been known to get emotional about things, said that after his next fight, he plans on leaving the UFC, and fighting for other promotions:

@Rampage4real
    Quinton Jackson I will fight who ever they put n front of me,I always have,but it will b my last fight n the ufc,I have other things on my mind
    Mar 06 via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

@Rampage4real
    Quinton Jackson I didn't say I would b done fighting,I just said I'm not fighting 4 the UFC,(u fight cheap)I said I have other things on my mind (big head)
    Mar 06 via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

Jackson went on to explain why he isn't happy with the UFC, tweeting "Why should I stay? I don't need them or anybody else negative dealing with my (career)... MMA, okay. UFC, not okay after".

Knowing how emotional Rampage can get at times, I expect that this will all just boil over once he speaks with the UFC brass and patches things up. Either way, even if he wants to push through with this a few months after, it won't be easy as there will be very limited options available for him outside of the UFC.
    test
  4. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Breaking Down The Official ONE FC 3 Fight Card

The fight card for ONE FC 3: War of the Lions, has been announced, and as first reported here on BloodyElbow.com, Felipe Enomoto will take on Zorobabel Moreira in a lightweight bout that will headline the March 31 event.

Other familiar names that will be featured on the stacked event in Singapore are K-1 striker, Melvin Manhoef, DREAM and DEEP stars Tatsuya Kawajiri, Masakazu Imanari, Yuya Shirai, and Yoshiyuki Nakanishi, URCC Champions Eduard Folayang and Kevin Belingon, Plus other ONE FC stars such as Ole Laursen, and Eddie Ng.

Here's the official card that has been released, along with a brief background and breakdowns on each of the fights:

Zorobabel Moreira vs. Felipe Enomoto: 'Zoro' is a BJJ world champion that is coming off impressive wins over Andy Wang, and Ferrid Kheder. He is ranked as the #7 lightweight in the 2012 World MMA Scouting Report, and has shown huge improvements on his overall MMA game while working with Shinya Aoki, and the guys at Evolve MMA. He will be facing Felipe Enomoto, the brother of M-1 Champion, Yasubey Enomoto, who is coming off the biggest win of his career against Ole Laursen. This will be his 2nd straight time to headline a ONE FC event, and it will be interesting to see how he performs just 7 weeks after that war he had in Jakarta.
    Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. TBA: Well, it's just Kawajiri so far...
    Eduard Folayang vs. Ole Laursen: This bout was supposed to headline the first ONE FC event, but Laursen got injured. The Wushu expert in Folayang instead retired A Sol Kwon on a "Fight of the Night" performance, and followed up with a URCC fight, knocking out a Nova Uniao BJJ Brown belt and Muay Thai champ in Wadson Teixeira. Laursen on the other hand, succumbed to Felipe Enomoto last month on a very entertaining back and forth bout. Folayang has been ranked as the #6 lightweight in the 2012 World MMA Scouting Report, while Laursen was #8 on the 2011 edition. Both Filipinos are huge stars in Singapore, and their styles basically guarantees a highly entertaining bout, which is probably the main motivating factor on why they've been re-booked for this card.
    Yuya Shirai vs. Fabricio Monteiro: Shirai is the current DEEP welterweight champion who has competed with several top notch fighters throughout his career. He will be competing against Monteiro, a veteran who will be trying to rebound and get back on track with the help of his new teammates at Evolve MMA.
    Melvin Manhoef vs. Yoshiyuki Nakanishi: The dangerous K-1 striker in Manhoef was supposed to take on Renato Sobral, until the latter had to pull out of the fight, citing lack of time for a proper training camp with his coaching duties on TUF Brazil. Stepping in for Babalu is Nakinishi, who is a former DEEP Light Heavyweight champ, who will be dropping to middleweight.
    Eddie Ng vs. Jian Kai Chee: Ng, who is also part of the Evolve MMA camp, will look to follow up on his impressive win at the first ONE FC event, and will once again have the hometown crowd on his side when he takes on the Malaysian Muay Thai champ in Jian Kai Chee.
    Masakazu Imanari vs. Kevin Belingon: While the top three bouts are probably going to gain more attention and recognition, this bout, at least to me, seems to be the unofficial main-event of the night. Belingon (9-0) is part of the famed Team Lakay camp that houses several of the URCC's best champions who all have a Wushu-base. He was ranked as part of the top Flyweights in the 2012 World MMA Scouting report, and will be looking to stay undefeated as he faces the toughest and most experienced challenger yet. Imanari is widely considered as the 19th best bantamweight in the world, and he will be a big test for a guy who is probably the most dominant prospect in the region. We'll see if Belingon can stop Imanari and graduate from top prospect to top fighter, or if the Master of Leg Locks can crank on one of his limbs and live up to his nickname.

Nicole Chua vs. Jeet Toshi: This would be ONE FC's first female MMA fight, and it features two decorated strikers fighting making their MMA debuts. Nicole Chua is a Muay Thai champion who has been working diligently on his MMA game with the world champions at Evolve MMA, and will be taking on a decorated kickboxer from India in Jeet Toshi. Chua has been gaining quite the following on her hometown in Singapore, as she will be gaining the recognition of being the first professional female fighter from the country.
    Quek Kim Hock vs. Juan Wen Jie: This is another bout set up for the locals as it pits two lightweight prospects from Singapore against each other.
    Yodsanan Sityodtong vs. Jiang Long Yun: Yodsanan, who is known as "Little Tyson", is a former WBA boxing champion who compiled a 58-3 record, with 47 KO's. While already a decorated boxer, he actually won his MMA debut on ONE FC's first event by showcasing his Muay Thai skills. He's already getting up in years at 37-years-old, but we'll see how much he has improved after getting more experience with training with the world champions at Evolve MMA. He will be facing Jiang Long Yun, who is a very talented Chinese fighter, who already has a win over Yao Honggang, the former Legend FC bantamweight champion.
    Danny Van Bergen vs. Richie Whitson: These are two lightweights who haven't really fought much in the Asian region before. TUF 9 alum Richie Whitson, who is training out of Team Quest, will face Manhoef's teammate, Van Bergen who is looking to extend his winning streak to 3.
    test
  5. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  6. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  7. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  8. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  9. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  10. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  11. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  12. Makabreli

Makabreli done

UFC 146 confirms heavyweight card with Dos Santos vs. Overeem, Mir vs. Velasquez and Nelson vs. Silva

UFC 146 just got a whole lot heavier.

The card, set to take place on May 26th from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is headlined by an explosive heavyweight title fight between champion Junior dos Santos and fellow collosus Alistair Overeem.

As if that bout wasn’t big enough, the UFC have announced two more high profile heavyweight encounters on the card.

Former champions Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez will lock horns in a title eliminator bout as both look to take another huge step back to the heavyweight belt.

The diet, for the time being it seems, is on hold for Roy Nelson as the rotund heavyweight will welcome Strikeforce veteran Antonio “Big Foot” Silva into the UFC on the same evening.

UFC 146 Card

HW Title: (C) Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem

HW: Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez

LW: Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham

HW: Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva

WW: Dan Hardy vs. Duane “Bang” Ludwig

FW: Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins

MW: C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller

HW: Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

LHW: Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira

LW: Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann
    test
  13. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  14. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  15. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  16. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  17. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Bellator 60 Results

Main Card Results

Pat Curran def. Joe Warren via KO (punches) – Round 3, 1:25 – Curran becomes new FW Champion

Daniel Straus def. Jeremy Spoon via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) – FW Tournament

Mike Corey def. Ronnie Mann via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) – FW Tournament

Marlon Sandro def. Roberto Vargas via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:35 – FW Tournament

Preliminary Card Results

Jake Nauracy def. Cory Galloway via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 4:22

Travis Wiuff def. Anthony Gomez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Sean McCorkle defeats Richard White via submission (neck crank) – Round 1, 1:02

Alexandre Bezerra def. Kenny Foster via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:57 – FW Tournament

Josh Shockley def. Shamar Bailey via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27

Genair da Silva def. Bobby Reardanz via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 0:51
    test
  18. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  19. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  20. Makabreli

Makabreli done

okay, i've finally found the format i like

feel free to post in this thread in response to any news, or add something if you like.

shit will look a little messy this month but you'll start to see what im doing.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.