Marbury: I'll play my way, Guard dislikes Brown's style

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Purple Haze, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Sunday, March 12, 2006
    BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Star-Ledger Staff

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It's probably the last thing Larry Brown wants to hear from Stephon Marbury, but last night the point guard said his efforts to change his game have not produced positive results and he is planning to go back to being Starbury -- the shoot-first, attack-the rim, 20-point-a-game scorer who has been a missing person this year.

Marbury said before last night's 116-109 loss to the Charlotte Bobcats that he tried to adjust to Brown's style of play this year, but it has not resulted in victories, and no one is happy. So he said he intends to go back to playing the way he always played, presumably next year, to a style that made him a multimillionaire superstar in the NBA -- a declaration that is sure to further frustrate Brown's attempts to remake Marbury into his kind of player.

"I went into this year trying to do something, to put myself in a situation where we can win, Okay?" he said, "to help the team win games. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So, what do I do now, as far as the way I play? I go back to playing like Stephon Marbury, aka Starbury. I haven't been Starbury this year. I've been some other dude this year."

And that other dude in Marbury's No. 3 jersey is struggling so much that this could end up being Marbury's worst season.

He went into last night's Battle of the Basement against the Bobcats averaging 17.0 points and 6.6 assists per game, both well below his career averages of 20.6 and 8.3. The 6.6 assists would qualify as his lowest averages in that category over his career.

Last year he averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists. In nine previous seasons, Marbury has never averaged fewer than 7.6 assists per game, and hasn't had fewer than 8.1 since the 2000-01, season, when he averaged 7.6 with the Nets.

This turbulent season he has often looked confused, and at times he has lacked his usual aggressiveness going to the hole. Part of that has been due to a shoulder injury he suffered Jan. 15, a sprain that caused him to miss 11 games.

"All I know is, you've seen me play and you've seen how I've been playing (this year)," he said. "When you watch the games, that's not Stephon Marbury."

The Knicks officially became the worst team in the league with last night's loss, falling to 17-44 while the Bobcats improved to 18-45, making them percentage points better, despite having a payroll less than three times smaller than the Knicks' ($123.5 million).

Read the rest here:
    http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114214394034480.xml&coll=1
    test
  2. Nitsuj™

Nitsuj™ We Are The Resistance

yeah marbury is a T.O. case
    test
  3. Purple Haze

T.O actually wins though.
    test
  4. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

I expect Starbury and Crawford to demand a trade. HEY ISIAH, CRAWFORD FOR NENE!!!!

they should buy out marbury...poor guy

Pz
    test
  5. Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee u unno me!

i dont know many teams who would be interested in "Starbury" anymore..

i mean he's obviously not the prototype point guard.. he's more of an undersized 2 guard.. he's got a me-first attitude and he doesnt have the talent to be a franchise player... not to mention he is one of the most overpaid players in league history..

i wouldnt want him on my team..
    test
  6. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

i say the knicks should just quit the nba
    test
  7. El King

El King www.myspace.com/jamelking

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wanted Crawford.

I dont know what the Knicks can do, I only see Isiah doing something this summer thats gonna make them worse, then the Bulls will probably end up with Greg Oden.

And Marbury shouldve never left Minny in the first place.
    test
  8. Purple Haze

I think he would play great if he put the line that he had between his hair again.
    test
  9. Warpaint

Warpaint What now?

he cant. he's balding
    test
  10. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

If Seattle doesn't move I think they might be willing to trade for Crawford to bring home for a guy like Rashard Lewis or maybe even Ray Allen who's really pissed off about how quick his team has gone down. It would have to be maybe Crawford and Rose for Allen and some other player to match.

Pz
    test
  11. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

I dont know why everyone hates on Marbury. You see his career averages, this is just a terrible year cuz of Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown. He is a good teammate he did good things when he was in Phoenix.
    test
  12. Young Marc

Young Marc AKA Jae Skrilla

True^^^^

I still think he should've stayed in Minnesota though

Him and KG probably would've won a couple rings by now
    test
  13. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

It's because the teams he plays for generally get worse and the teams that trade him generally get better.

It's a common thought that Marbury is the problem.

I can't blame him for making those comments, the Knicks are even worse under LB, despite having more talent. They may have no chemistry, but looking at the talent available on the roster there is NO WAY they should own the worst record in the league.
    test
  14. Purple Haze

Lost aganist Denver today:

35 minutes
    11-17
    25 points
    7 assist
    4 rebound
    1 steal

Only one foul and one turnover!
    test
  15. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

test
  16. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

I dont know about that. Minnesota didnt get better for awhile after he left. New Jersey got better cuz they got Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson, he did real good with Phoenix, they just got better the next year cuz of Nash and the new coach that just let them run loose. And you cant even start to blame New York on him.
    test
  17. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I donno...he seems like he has a very good side and bad side to him. I think he's the type who will succeed given the right environment, but in the wrong environment, he'll be nothin but a cancer.

I don't see why Larry Brown won't let him play his game like he let Iverson play his. At one point of time, everybody used to constantly compare Iverson and Marbury, and many people thought Marbury was better and had more of an upside to him.
    test
  18. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

I didn't make that up.

That's just the general knock against him.

I didn't say that I agreed with it, nor do I think Marbury is a me-first guard.
    test
  19. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

Man... I still remember that series against the Suns like 3-4 years ago when he abused Parker. It was like bull dog vs a terrier. Parker's come a long way from then but that memory endures.
    test
  20. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

wtf dude larry has lost his damn mind. marbury isn't playing erratic. he's not sabatoging the team like he thinks, and if he is, it's not as OBVIOUS as he thinks it is. his points are down, shot attempts are down, minutes are down, so wtf? he HAS been taking all this abuse from brown and the media all season and it's unfair, i think, so it's about time he stands up to him. brown lobbied for that ridiculous jalen rose trade, and im sure he had a hand in the steve francis trade, which both sabotage the team's future ten times more than anything marbury could ever do on the floor. fuck larry brown.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.