man this would a great time to be 14 or 15 and learning to produce

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by De'yon, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

Just Blaze saide it first but dammit he is rite

10 years ago when I decided I wanted try my hand at making music there where not many affordable choices all I started on a very low power pc (566mhz processor and 128 ram 10 gig hard drive) and a copy of HiP Hop ejay then then later found Fruity Loops and acid express. had to to work a hole summer shoveling shit in 103+ degree heat just to buy some decent speakers, a sound blaster sound card, a mic and a pre amp......

now days you can do things i could have never imagined back then and get sound qaulity for $100 that you to cost over a grand....

I'm jealous of the youngsters LOL

also I remember Midi controllers used to be expensive as hell now just look on ebay mpd's under $100 rediculous
    test
  2. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

true, it was a lot more exclusive back then.. whos your favortie producer?
    test
  3. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

Yeah, my startup was very similar.

Had a gateway 2000, 433, neglible ram, 6gb hard drive.

We bought Dance and Hip Hop Ejay because we thought it was a DJ program, to mix and stuff. But it was actually a pattern seqeuncer. Which i guess is why im so fond of FL studio. Even the simple drum sequencer was cool to mess with.

Around the same time Generator came out, and my friends from school who were in music showed me the kind of beats they were doing...and it interested me since then.

yadayadayadayada later....

My first power computer was like 1200$
    soundcard like 400$
    Monitors 500$
    Microphone 150$
    Mixer..C Control...Motif Rack...JV1010...M audio 88 key weighted..yadaydaydad

basically a 3,000$ setup with tons of plugins and sounds....back in 2004/5.... now 5 years later...

Computer 2 times as fast = 400$
    New soundcard = 250$
    CME U - 99
    MPD - 99
    5inch monitors - 300$

Barely 1,000$ + whatever mic and pre amp i get before this year is over.

Imma have 2 times the speed - space - quality - At HALF the price less than 5 years time passed.

That shit is CRAZY.

If i was who i was NOW in 2003 with the same deals....

I couldnt imagine the progress.

But with that being said...

all of this is available and people are still lacking MUSIC knowledge and application of the tools. Alot of people buy gear they dont use appropriately. Or have dope mics and machines, and dont know how to gain stage...

so trust, there is a balance.

We need more Samurais...and less Swords.
    test
  4. De'yon

Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. De'yon

Theres no replacement for dedication but for the youngins who are still willing to lock them selves in there rooms for days at a time they are gonna be doin some crazy stuff

They got no excuse not to be world class. By there 21st b day

Pluss there where no youtube tutorials back then you had to read your manuals and help files
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. De'yon

no one in particular I stay up on ALOT of producers too many to start naming names ......
    test
  7. EnglishBuffin

EnglishBuffin New Member

yep, look at lex luger.
    test
  8. De'yon

lex luger is young? I've been on his soundclick a few times

I'm been tryna turn one of my lil cousins on to the game I got enough extra gear to have him made but he would do nothing and just talk about making music ....my 2 year old son is more interested in making music than any of teenagers around me I can loud up a vst and he will throw the head phones on bang keys for atleast and hour lol
    test
  9. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

I respect what lex and trap-a-holics do...but come on, those sound like some generic FL studio beats...imo

Cats on rocbattle been doing that style since 2004

And i hate when i use the Maestro Electric Transition kit..people go

"oh snap, you got that luger drop in there"

like wtf...

maestro kids...

maestro...you know lil wayne?

yikes!
    test
  10. De'yon

lol yeah I feel but I cant knock anyone who getting they money turning out microwave beats is better than working 9 to 5 or ducking and dodging prison time

we like to show up to concerts early and watch the local opening acts go on I swear at 1 show like 5 different artist used the Vibe beat with taggs and all straight free download
    test
  11. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

i was like 15/16 with a compaq don't remember the specs but i think i had like 6 gb's...lol

went from shit like ModPlug Tracker, hammerhead, Gwaves....to FL then finally reason and cubase...

used to record on a 10 dollar radio shaq mic with 20 dollar speakers....

good times
    test
  12. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

fucking hammerhead

that was that shit
    test
  13. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

equipment is a lot cheaper now a days for sure
    test
  14. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

Use to use hip-hop ejay lmao. But idk if its a good time really cuz that nikes way for 283763 thousand more producers with generic beats. Makes it a hundred times harder for.anyone to get in just like rap.
    To each his own
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  15. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

once those beats are all generic, it will be easier for us producers with Quality production to stand out.
    test
  16. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Youngsters my ass, I'm 34 and copped that NI Maschine. A beat a day (and yes, they're all in tune! Lol)

This was 500 bucks (for someone else. Got it as a present for my 34th). I have it and nothing else. No sound card, no speakers, not even a desk. I use a high end alarm clock as a speaker while I check to see which I/O and speakers imma get, but I can rock out right now.

I remember when to get this kinda functionality costs 3,000 bucks for a Roland or an MPC. (oh wait, thats still the case)

But you ain't gotta be s kid to do this.
    test
  17. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I'm diggin what you saying. As a complete noob I understand some things: I wanna cop shit that is somewhat future proof. In other words i want like, a soundcard that's gonna be the only one i need for the next 10 yrs. Same for speakers and mixer and mics. More cost up front, but you save on the back end.
    test
  18. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

Yeah, if ur young and just trying to get into music production its easier than ever....But harder than ever to break into the industry due to it being easier than ever to make beats. You got a million plus people using the same free software/youtube how to vids all putting together hot beats...So the competition for getting placements is just that much harder.

But, its tight for the people who are just trying to make some sounds to laugh at or enjoy on their own. 10 yrs ago was the prime time to be getting into production. Online beatmakers werent so abundant so it was easy to make tons of dollars off of beats with mp3.com. I started out backwards from most on here...Mpc2000xl with a roland xp80, turntables and a computer. Ive tried software of all types but I prefer the mpc/keyboard for some reason. I like pressing buttons/turning knobs more than clicking a mouse pad.
    test
  19. i juana cigar

i juana cigar New Member

ya I just bought an MPD for 70 bucks 2 months ago
    and i downloaded ableton live 8 for the free.99

but im 21, not 15 unfortunately...i wish i had gotten into this earlier
    test
  20. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

I wish things like youtube were around back when I was younger.

I didn't really start learning shit until youtube tutorials came about.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.