Make your Ultimate 2008 Predictions

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ Cuz they were scared of his guard... Fedor wasn't. Most heavyweights are scared of Nog's guard, which I think is a bit overrated... But ehhh... Mir's guard's a lot scarier IMO...
    test
  2. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

wow thats a fairly bold statement
    test
  3. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I just call it like I see it. I'm not saying Nog's jiu-jitsu is bad. I do think it's overrated tho'. To me, Nog waits for an opponent to slip up to get 'em. So if his opponent doesn't slip up, he doesn't get 'em. I feel Mir pushes the pace and forces his opponent to slip up and finds more holes and finishes...

Example would be the Sylvia fight. Mir completely took control early in the fight and locked the arm bar... Broke Sylvia's arms within minutes. Nog got his ass whooped the entire fight and needed Sylvia to slip in order for him to get the tap. If Sylvia hadn't slipped into that guillotine, he would've won that fight on points. He'd be the champ right now...
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

evans
    noguiera
    silva
    dolloway
    kongo
    okami
    hardonk
    hamill
    blackburn
    barry
    test
  5. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

i agree with that, but as far as nog taking longer to finish opponents, i dont think that can determine their fight at all, or even play into it.. fighting styles differ, what might take 1 man 2 minutes, may take another man all 3 rounds.. but it doesn't mean his fighting style is inferior, it's just a slower pace.

what the fight comes down to is.. who will push their own pace this fight.. will nog force mir to take his road, or will mir be able to make nog step up the pace? either is possible.. its going to be good because they are both strong in the same areas.. i just think nogs experience will show.
    test
  6. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

To me, I think that does mean Mir's jiu-jitsu is superior. Because that means he can finish the fight from any angle at any moment. Meanwhile, Nog only gets you if you fuck up and you give it to him...

It would be the difference between an NBA player that can break down the defense and score at will and a player that can only score when the defense fucks up and gives him a wide open jumpshot (Nog being the latter). Just my opinion though.

Obviously, Nog is gonna have better submission defense than anyone Mir's ever fought but Traven was also world class jiu-jitsu. I hope Nog isn't the way they say he is as far as not tapping because I think Mir might break one of his limbs then. We'll see...

And honestly, if Nog paces the fight like you say he does, that's actually an advantage for Mir. The past has shown that that's when he struggles. When someone just floods him with attacks (see Ian Freeman)... If you give Mir a chance to sit and analyze the sitution, he's gonna find a limb to grab and break it. Again, just my view. We'll see tomorrow night. Gonna be an amazing night of UFC...
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i agree with ANDtheMC in that nog's bjj has a more patient style while mir's is more aggressive. i don't think it necessarily makes your BETTER per say, but i definitely prefer the more aggressive type.

mir is not going to submit nog, hes not going to knock him out, they both have the same strengths, however nog is better at those strengths. i have nog by unan decision or possible tko. i just don't see mir winning the fight. all his strenghts are nog's strengths and nog is better at all of them. maybe pre motorcycle accident mir would have been a better fight.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I'll give Nog the hands. I give Mir the kicks. And I give Mir the jiu-jitsu. We'll see tho'... I don't think either are going to get knocked out. I think most likely it's gonna end on either points or subs...
    test
  9. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans
    Interim Heavyweight Championship bout: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
    Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva
    Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio
    Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Mustafa Ak Turk
    Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister
    Heavyweight bout: Antoni Hardonk vs. Mike Wessel
    Light Heavyweight bout: Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy
    Welterweight bout: Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan
    Heavyweight bout: Dan Evensen vs. Patrick Barry

Rashad the God Evans
    Nog
    Quinton finally gonna get em
    C.B Dollaway
    Kongo
    Lister gonna surprise people tommorrow
    Antoni Hardonki
    Hamill
    Chonan
    Barry
    test
  10. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

That Video is really old.
    test
  11. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

The problem with Mir's JJ in comparison to Nog's is that Mir is a lure you into something then attack kind of BJJ fighter. you cant do that with a versed BJJ guy like Nog. none of Mirs 'tricks' will work on Nog not even close. Nog however is a wear you down type of BJJ artist and he will work Mir until Frank simply gives up a submission. I see almost no way for Mir to stop this fight outside of a lucky Heath Hearing type of kick. Nog is a far better boxer and will win on points easily if not get the finish.
    test
  12. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

yeah i read the information wrong, i just seen the end where it said his next opponent is mir and figured it was in training for
    test
  13. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

agreed.....see the mir vs. PDP fight as classic case in point
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I don't see how Mir tries to lure you in... I've watched every one of Frank Mir's fights multiple times and in each one, he didn't lure anybody in. Limbs are always accessible to grab and he just happens to be great at grabbing onto whatever limb and ripping it off from any angle/position... Mir's the one with submission holds named after him (see the Mir lock)... He finds limbs and finds ways to end 'em... Toe hold... Knee bar on Lesnar... Kimora..... In each of those submissions which were early in the first round, he pushed the pace and found a limb, grabbed it, and ended it. I don't think he lures you in. Again, limbs are always accessible. It really comes down to how creative you are in find a way to destroy that limb... Mir's better at that, IMO...
    test
  15. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans
    Interim Heavyweight Championship bout: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
    Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva
    Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio
    Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Mustafa Al Turk

Preliminary card

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister
    Heavyweight bout: Antoni Hardonk vs. Mike Wessel
    Light Heavyweight bout: Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy
    Welterweight bout: Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan
    Heavyweight bout: Dan Evensen vs. Patrick Barry
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Does that fight even count? Do you not remember what happened and what kinda shape mentally and physically Mir was? Remember... He lost to Brandon Vera around that time. Are you serious? He was practically suicidal with terrible conditioning, drinking non-stop without any confidence he was the same fighter he once was....

We'll see tonight. I can't believe so many fuckers are sleepin' on Mir. We'll see...
    test
  17. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

I believe Mir is making a comeback, he looks more in shape & everything but... I have faith in Nog, I don't know why cause he always looks like he's about to lose these days... I think he's getting old but for some reason I just think he's going to pull this off... cause Mir I don't think will KO him & on the ground it'll be vicious.
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I think the fight on the ground will def'nitely be incredible.... Especially with Nog's submission defense at the level it's at. But I just get a feeling Mir is going to pull some shit off. And he's been training the rubber guard... I really wanna see him use that shit on Nog. Would be interesting to see someone work the rubber guard on Nog...
    test
  19. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Word, I agree with that... I think Nog might catch him in some kind of anaconda choke or something though. Nog is very slick on the ground, you don't think he's doing anything then he just pulls something off.. I heard in a old Pride interview a lot of fighters would say that Nog had the strongest gripe they ever felt... makes me root for him all the more but I do think he's coming close to his retirement stage.
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

OK... Being this thread has really turned into a Nog/Mir thread... Let's get into the details... Name the round you think who you think is gonna win and by what...

I got Mir in the second round via either leg lock or choke...

And honestly, the more I see on the rubber guard, honestly it seems like it could be thee most effective for MMA...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.