Major label Vs Independent artist

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Tonio Denzino, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Tonio Denzino

Tonio Denzino Member

Hey...

I've been doing a lot of research about how ultimately an independent artist makes more over the years but if that's the case why is it someone like Tech N9ne has a net worth of 9 million while someone like soulja boy has 23 million? Hell, even Justin Bieber has a net worth of 130 million right now, so wtf is up with this false information that's being disseminated?

How are you suppose to go about it safely where you're not a slave to some label and actually generating some cash?

Mac Miller has like 6 million, and tbh that really doesn't seem too amazing. 6 million is better than nothing, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Independent is necessarily the way to go if you want to become "rich".

What is your opinion, how do you go about it the correct way and actually make cash? I want to attempt to give this music career a shot instead of wasting it online like DZK or some of these other kids who are too afraid to rap offline.
    test
  2. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

9 million is pretty good for an indie artist....tech has 9 million and a huge following of die hard fans, and he gets the respect from other rappers who want to work with him.....That is the most successful indie rapper........

Post a song or pm me one and if it is any good, I will run it by a few people in the industry
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I care about respect more than money... because when you have respect, doors are open for you.

As for net worth, it's about debt/expenses, too... not just income. Net worth = Assets - Liabilities.

Some rappers just might be better money managers.
    test
  4. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

If I was a rapper these days i'd buy property and start businesses. But these dumb niggas will make money. And buy jewels and cars. And living below your means helps

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

ummm... I think you are confused. I wouldnt say independent artists ultimately make more, they get a bigger percentage of sales because they dont have a major label spending lots of money and expecting a return on investment.

if you want to know how to market these days... social media and your friends is pretty good. just dont spam a bunch of sites and think thats the answer. u have to actually talk with people.
    test
  6. Tonio Denzino

Tonio Denzino Member

I'm going by shit I've heard all through out the internet. E.g. nelly said Cheif Keef shouldn't have signed to a record label because if he would have waited a few years he could have obtained the money him self. Tech N9ne is someone who has been around for a while, and he has about 9 million. Now Cheif Keef was offered 6 million dollars to sign to the label. Surely he'd at least have a FEW millions left after the label takes their "loan" back?

This is me speculating...

I just don't see what's so exciting about being an independent artist when with a major label I'd imagine it would be much more simple...depending on which deal you work out with the labels ofc. Surely there's something I'm missing if we have people like Soulja boy who has 23 million...This dude is a retard, yet he's making all of that cash.

I just want to see the best way artist should go about it WITH the major labels for making cash...

I use to do this solely for a hobby but as years went by, I'm now interested in making money off of this.
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Now "simple" is one thing that a big time label contract is NOT. There are a lot of things you have to have a lawyer read through to make sure you understand everything so you dont get screwed out of your money.

A lot of times when you are on a big label, they own you and make much of your decisions... and could be the reason for your downfall.

Think about it... even 50 cent, one of the richest rappers in the world cant release his album when he wants to because of label issues.

If you're REALLY serious about becoming a rapper, I'd pm freebass for some advice. dude is pretty smart and used to work for shady records.
    test
  8. Tonio Denzino

Tonio Denzino Member

Isn't 50 cent the owner of his label?

Thanks for your replies though, I'm still unsure what I want to do but I want to do something. I know for a fact that I could make it in the music business. I hate seeing dope artist who aren't getting any where with their music because they're too afraid to do anything.

Thanks for the info, I'm extremely serious and I've pm'd freebass. Is he the only person you'd recommend me contacting?
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

50 cent own g-unit records which is owned by shady aftamath which is owned by interscope. so 50 cent does what jimmy Ivine tells him

and as for your who to talk to, go to the battle archive section of our website also, a lot of rappers post there. strike up a conversation... it doesnt have to be about your music at first... comment on a battle, then lead into the music.
    find a grindtime or KOTD or other hip hop event in your area... they do them all over the country. great opportunity to meet people.

Join a bunch of other hip hop message boards. Be ACTIVE in them. post about stuff other than your music. make threads, argue debate...

make a youtube, facebook, twitter, vine, sound cloud etc for your music... get a camera, shoot some videos for your favorite song... they might suck at first, but get lots of input so u can improve.

Study other rappers... NOT just rappers that are out now. Listen to shit from he 1980s... run dmc, NWA Big daddy kane, LL cool J,
    shit from the 90s, shit from 2000s, shit from 2010s

go to wikipedia and study the best selling rap albums over the years since hip hop began... figure out what has been working over time, not just for a short time.

- find a local club in your area where you can perform. pass out cds of your music to people who attend.

-thats all i can think of for now lol...
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test